XPEnology Community

Slow transfer speed over LAN!!

boOmLa

Hi all.

Having a Xpenology running om my baremetal (lenovo M83 tiny) - (Synology DS1916+), and Synology router ac2600. Transfer speed over wifi over LAN to my macbook pro 2016 model (core i7 and 16 Gb ram) is about 30-35 Mbps, have been reading and seeing some videos on youtube transfering much faster some over 100 Mbps ..

Tried allso with other computers (windows 10 ) in the house with the same result - over LAN.. all RJ45 cabels are cat. 6 ...

Can someone clear this up for me ... Thanx in advanced...

Best ragards

boOmLa

Wifi or cabled?

If wifi, then those speeds aren't bad..

If cabled, is your WIFI card disabled on your macbook?

By 'transfer' do you mean copy and paste or rSync?

Are they very large files (4GB +)? Windows 10 sometimes slows right down for large files - especially if you have Windows Defender enabled..

What sort of disks do you have in the Lenovo?

Have you tried a baremetal install on another desktop PC? Just incase there's an issue with the Lenovo?

Hi Hostilian, thanx for your reply :smile:

So you would mean that these speeds are Ok over wifi ?

Yes I mean copy / Paste - files over 4Gb

I have a Samsung 850 SSD 500GB in my lenovo - I have tried the same from synology DS916+ with same speed...

I have another quation - but it's somthing else :smile:

In my Synology DS916+ I have 2 samsung SSD 850 running Raid0 - when I'am copying files (allso over 4GB) from 1 folder to another on the same Volume i get speeds that start about 280 MBps and the drops to about 150Mbps ... Is that allso normal speed on a Raid0 array ?

Thanx in advanced

boOmLa

Hi Hostilian, thanx for your reply :smile:

So you would mean that these speeds are Ok over wifi ?

Yes I mean copy / Paste - files over 4Gb

I have a Samsung 850 SSD 500GB in my lenovo - I have tried the same from synology DS916+ with same speed...

I have another quation - but it's somthing else :smile:

In my Synology DS916+ I have 2 samsung SSD 850 running Raid0 - when I'am copying files (allso over 4GB) from 1 folder to another on the same Volume i get speeds that start about 280 MBps and the drops to about 150Mbps ... Is that allso normal speed on a Raid0 array ?

Thanx in advanced

boOmLa

Yup.. Sounds like the same issue with large files.. I'd check to see if there is a hotfix for your OS and would definitely temporarily disable Windows Defender, if you use it..

Sorry, does it drop to 150Mbps or MBps? Once again, you'll need to say whether its wifi or cabled - as copying 'might' actually copy via your desktop (unless you use the synology GUI to copy it in file manager).. I'd say the same thing here for Windows Defender..

#H

Hi Hostilian.. I have disabled windows defender with same result- Wifi :smile:

2nu3e3p.png

It drops to 150 MB/s - here it is actually on the Synology GUI - copying a file from one folder to another on the same Raid0 Volume - the Nas is on Cable - in this scenario it dows'nt matter couse everything is happening within the NAS :smile:

Best regard

boOmLa

Edited by Guest

To copy a file or folder means to duplicate it when you work on the same drive. This is always slower than moving a file or copy it from one disk to another.

Hay jensmander - sounds reasonable enough - thoug shoul'nt it be on fire when running Raid0 ? I mean 1 Samsung 850 SSD alone is cabable of Read: Up to 550MB/s and Write: Up to 520MB/s - and i'am not even near with RAID0 ?? I really Hope I have'nt messed up configuring the disks -

s5y5bm.png

Best regards

boOmLa

How do you copy files from one folder to another directly on the NAS? With the FileStation (browser) or do you use your Windows PC (Explorer, TotalCommander, ...) for this? If you copy files with your Windows PC (for example: copying from \\NAS\Share1 to \\NAS\Share2) then everything will be transmitted through your PC. This will lock down speeds to the highest possible throughput of your PC (it reads the data NAS -> PC and retransfers it PC -> NAS) while it will "cut" the bandwith (synchronous transfer, pull and push).

How do you copy files from one folder to another directly on the NAS? With the FileStation (browser) or do you use your Windows PC (Explorer, TotalCommander, ...) for this? If you copy files with your Windows PC (for example: copying from \\NAS\Share1 to \\NAS\Share2) then everything will be transmitted through your PC. This will lock down speeds to the highest possible throughput of your PC (it reads the data NAS -> PC and retransfers it PC -> NAS) while it will "cut" the bandwith (synchronous transfer, pull and push).

Yeah that is true - I do it thoght through browser (NAS GUI), there should'nt be any speed lim. Don't you allso think it's slow for a RAID 0 to transfer from floder A to Floder B on the same volume with about 150MB/s - considering 1 of those disks runs over 500MB/s read/write ?

Best regards

boOmLa

Hm, could be more but as I mentioned copying files (even on RAID0) from and to the same drive is always slower. Another thing: are these SSDs connected to a real SATA 3.0 (6Gbps) port? Connecting them to older SATA 2.0 ports will cut the bandwith to 50%.

Synology DS916+ have 4 Sata 3 --> 24d3sjl.png

This pic is taken from the specification site (Synology)

Best regards

boOmLa

You could run a little benchmark with dd via console. For example:

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=//testfile bs=1G count=1 oflag=dsync

To remove the testfile aftwards, type:

sudo rm //testfile

Thanks jensmander - Wow - Now this is fast:

2utg2vp.png

What is wrong then when copying from folder to floder on the same SSD volume from the synology GUI ?

9krq6p.png

There's nothing wrong with 126.6MB/s :smile:

The (sudo dd) test file created doesn't actually copy anything from one disk to the other. It (from what I understand about it) creates a new file.. So it's not reading anything..

Have you tested this on a different computer (new install on another computer you might have lying around)?

It could be an issue with your machine (dodgy drivers).. It looks to be a space-saver PC of some sort?

When you're testing anything, please don't use Wifi.. In fact, switch it off and use a cable - until you get to the bottom of the problem..

#H