XPEnology Community

Microserver Gen7 - Baremetal 6.1

pocopico

Question

Hi,

after some BTRFS volume crashes in 6.02, i have decided to go with the update to DSM 6.1. Unfortunately i did that before searching in depth for the issue, and i recently found that issues exist in 6.1 as well.

Anyway, i have already tried to perform the update to 6.1 before updating the 6.02 loader and failed. I have then tried to boot with Jun 6.1 Alpha loader and i found out that the driver is probably missing for the onboard NIC NC107 (broadcom) 1GB card as the server never comes online.

I have tried to recreate both ramdisk and extra.lzma with the additional modules taken from the 6.02 image but they fail to load due to kernel incompatibility (3.10.77 in 6.02 vs 3.10.102 in 6.1) and looks like i have to recompile them with the new sources. I will try to follow the viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31211 topic to recreate the missing modules and update the loader with them.

Anyway before going through all this painful process, i thought it might worth asking here if someone else did that before and has already compiled the modules i need. Mainly missing the NIC drivers and firmware from the image.

I will keep you posted for the progress.

2 answers to this question

pocopico said:
Hi,

after some BTRFS volume crashes in 6.02, i have decided to go with the update to DSM 6.1. Unfortunately i did that before searching in depth for the issue, and i recently found that issues exist in 6.1 as well.

Anyway, i have already tried to perform the update to 6.1 before updating the 6.02 loader and failed. I have then tried to boot with Jun 6.1 Alpha loader and i found out that the driver is probably missing for the onboard NIC NC107 (broadcom) 1GB card as the server never comes online.

I have tried to recreate both ramdisk and extra.lzma with the additional modules taken from the 6.02 image but they fail to load due to kernel incompatibility (3.10.77 in 6.02 vs 3.10.102 in 6.1) and looks like i have to recompile them with the new sources. I will try to follow the viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31211 topic to recreate the missing modules and update the loader with them.

Anyway before going through all this painful process, i thought it might worth asking here if someone else did that before and has already compiled the modules i need. Mainly missing the NIC drivers and firmware from the image.

I will keep you posted for the progress.

Modules from 6.0.2 will not work for 6.1. Kernel has been updated as you have seen and all modules needs to be recompiled accordingly.

Why don't you stay with DSM 6.02 and v1.01? The latest loader v1.02a is at alpha stage and is mainly for testing purposes although some people are not worried about using it in their 'production' boxes.

Why don't you stay with DSM 6.02 and v1.01? The latest loader v1.02a is at alpha stage and is mainly for testing purposes although some people are not worried about using it in their 'production' boxes.

Well, it was mainly because of the BTRFS phantom crashes that i had to got to 6.1 ... now my system is unfortunately not bootable anymore so i will have to either wait for new loader of just create the modules and update loader to make it work. :smile: