XPEnology Community

[DEV-Q] Which source to use?

This question is mainly for active devs like Trantor and Jun.

I'm assembling an organization on GitHub to track releases, issues, driver requests, how-tos, and such. A curated collection of XPEnology loaders, tutorials, a singular common place to go for information (not discussion!), to make discovering new releases easier, and of course to have a community-maintained collection of tutorials for all versions, all functions.

And for this I'd like to catalog the kernel releases. However since I'm not a mod/loader builder, I do not know which source to use. Currently the supported x86/x64 options from Synology are:

On 6.0:

- Pineview

- Evansport (probably shouldn't use, quite old 32-bit arch with old kernel)

- Cedarview

- Bromolow

- Braswell

- Avoton

On 6.0.2:

- Pineview

- Evansport

- Cedarview

- Bromolow

- Braswell

- Avoton

- Broadwell

- Grantley

On 6.1:

- Pineview

- Evansport

- Cedarview

- Bromolow

- Braswell

- Avoton

- Broadwell

- Grantley

- KVM x64 (for virtualizing DSM?)

- Docker x64 (for virtualizing DSM?)

(Color code: blue for new ones in release, green for ones that exist in all versions listed, red for not recommended)

So the question is, which seems to be the best kernel base to continue working on? In my opinion (but please note I do not exactly know what kernel patches have been added to the base itself) the best, most universal choice would be using either KVM or Docker base for future releases, with the loaders being micro Linux distros that only load kernel modules, Docker/KVM and a web management interface (e.g. Portainer for Docker), and a container/VM configured for Synology. Since they allow virtualization on a DSM host, it should be relatively easy to copy the mechanism and get around the nasty hacks required to boot the OS on non-official hardware.

On the other hand, releases marked with green have been out for all 6.x releases, meaning a loader can be made using those sources for all 6.x DSM releases.