XPEnology Community

Jun's Alpha Loader for DSM 6.1

CrazyCreator

Issues unresolved:

• 1. Can't register Synology account via DSM but can register on synology website with SN which gen by
https://xpenology.github.io/serial_generator/serial_generator_new.html

Nothing much to be resolved here. I assume the purpose of registering an account with Synology is to rape their QuickConnect service. Let me repeat this for the thousand time. There is no need for QC or for registering any account with Synology. Using QC with Xpenology is an abuse of Synology's Services which leads to unnecessary attention from Synology to this project. Simply create a custom DDNS and you will have the same thing as what QC have.

I do knew this is a "issue" not need to be resolved. i just want to report what status is now.

DS916+ image doesn't contain r8169.ko(Realtek Gigabyte NIC ) in its extra.lzma, so we can't find it. If you extract the extra.lzma you'll find DS916+ image lacks many kernel modules compared with DS3615xs image.

I downloaded jun's script and try to compile kernel source by myself, but failed to bootup.

Know somebody if Jun plan to bring the serial output back to console? With bare metal its always a nightmare to connect an additional PC to serial if something going wrong.

Thx

Not sure what you mean by "bring the serial output back to console". It is already possible to output the boot logs through serial in a consol.

Sorry, I mean with console a monitor connect to vga. You are right, console means in a typical way a serial terminal....:smile:

I mean, that its possible to use a real keyboard and vga monitor connected to the NAS PC. I think the old 5.x xpenology have this feature.

DS916+ image doesn't contain r8169.ko(Realtek Gigabyte NIC ) in its extra.lzma, so we can't find it. If you extract the extra.lzma you'll find DS916+ image lacks many kernel modules compared with DS3615xs image.

I downloaded jun's script and try to compile kernel source by myself, but failed to bootup.

This is probably why I was never able to get it to work with Asrock N3150 motherboard. Can some help add the drivers?

question about "SataPortMap=" settings.

i have 8 sata ports on MB and i bought a ASM 106x HBA card. The card detail as below:

this is a PCE-E 2.0 SATA 6Gbps controller card base on ASM1061 chipset. It has two esata external and two sata internal connectors. But only two working either one esata and one sata OR two esata. it base on jumper setting combination. Ok, my question is should i change grub.conf setting?

IF yes, what should i set to? SataPortMap=82?

please give me your advise.

i have 8 sata ports on MB and i bought a ASM 106x HBA card. The card detail as below:

this is a PCE-E 2.0 SATA 6Gbps controller card base on ASM1061 chipset. It has two esata external and two sata internal connectors. But only two working either one esata and one sata OR two esata. it base on jumper setting combination. Ok, my question is should i change grub.conf setting?

ASM1061-> 2 SATA

Enviado desde mi Aquaris X5 Plus mediante Tapatalk

This is probably why I was never able to get it to work with Asrock N3150 motherboard. Can some help add the drivers?

+1

ASM1061-> 2 SATA

Enviado desde mi Aquaris X5 Plus mediante Tapatalk

He means : YES :wink:

holy crap am i lost. I put off migrating from 6.01 or something to 6.1. So I read and updated my usb key to reflect juns 1.02 alpha. and one of the key issues was FORCING the installer. So at first I was having network issues. Then the force method worked or so I thought. after 50 attempts I found my nas and upgraded it to 6.1. I did a migrate not sure if I should have done that or not. but once it did that... The end of being able to access the nas in any way shape or form has just begun. So now what do i do?. I cannot get the nas to be recognized at all via find.synology. Do I need a special different boot loader?. I ran out of ideas and kind of scratching my head where the hell do I start?.

ok I can get the server to load the network card to GigE if I remove the HDD and let the jun loader run its course, it sees my nic as a 100Mbps Nic then once the loader is done it switches to GigE which is normal, I can ping ip but cannot do anything like ssh. If I leave the HDD in the server bay the nic light stays 100Mbps and the thing is just dead in the water. I dont mind downgrading to 6.00 stock and attempt to just get 6.02 which was my initial intentions.. polanskiman HELPPPP Im seriously out of ideas. I even did the lzma overwrite which made no difference. The IP is pingable but find.synology does not see the server with no drives. thiu really sucks...

holy crap am i lost. I put off migrating from 6.01 or something to 6.1. So I read and updated my usb key to reflect juns 1.02 alpha. and one of the key issues was FORCING the installer. So at first I was having network issues. Then the force method worked or so I thought. after 50 attempts I found my nas and upgraded it to 6.1. I did a migrate not sure if I should have done that or not. but once it did that... The end of being able to access the nas in any way shape or form has just begun. So now what do i do?. I cannot get the nas to be recognized at all via find.synology. Do I need a special different boot loader?. I ran out of ideas and kind of scratching my head where the hell do I start?.

All the attempted installs might have screwed up DSM. Try a downgrade to 6.0.2. Search the forum. There are several tutorial which you need to adapt to your situation.

The other, more brutal, option is to wipe DSM partitions in your drives and then reinstall. I made a tutorial on the matter >>> http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30805. Your data being in another partition shouldn't be affected.

Installed another bare-metal system with 1.02a2 successfully, running DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 2:

- ASROCK FM2A78M-ITX+

- AMD AD786KYBI44JC

- 2x4GB DDR3

- 4x4TB Seagate & 1x120GB SSD (read cache)

A quick question.

Any benefits if using SSD for cache in real world? I'm asking because I have to sacrifice a SATA port in my Nas for the SSD drive.

Thanks.

Hello,

I did a bare-metal install of Jun's Loader v1.02a w/dsm 6.1 update 2 on my QNAP TVS-471 everything seems to be working on it only thing i noticed that i didn't notice on the pc i was using it now i see a whole bunch of usb1-1 to usb1-6 disks. i remember reading about this happening but cant seem to find the solution to hide them unless there wasn't one. anyone have any info

Thanks

ok I can get the server to load the network card to GigE if I remove the HDD and let the jun loader run its course, it sees my nic as a 100Mbps Nic then once the loader is done it switches to GigE which is normal, I can ping ip but cannot do anything like ssh. If I leave the HDD in the server bay the nic light stays 100Mbps and the thing is just dead in the water. I dont mind downgrading to 6.00 stock and attempt to just get 6.02 which was my initial intentions.. polanskiman HELPPPP Im seriously out of ideas. I even did the lzma overwrite which made no difference. The IP is pingable but find.synology does not see the server with no drives. thiu really sucks...

Ive got problem to find my dsm 5.2 with find.synology.com, it is up and running for years, but i can find it with synology assistant app.

All the attempted installs might have screwed up DSM. Try a downgrade to 6.0.2. Search the forum. There are several tutorial which you need to adapt to your situation.

The other, more brutal, option is to wipe DSM partitions in your drives and then reinstall. I made a tutorial on the matter >>> http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30805. Your data being in another partition shouldn't be affected.

I will try a downgrade first. I remember I couldnt even get 6.0.2 on the system so I was on stock 6.01 whichever was the one that let you update and be within dsm.. 6.0.2 i remember was the one if im not mistaken would crap out at 46% and error and never update.. that juns bootloader update is where things started to go south. assuming a force update was good i guess not.. What I could use is a good set of links to download the CORRECT PAT files. It seems people on here say hey look im updated 6.1 6.0345456787 but fail to post a silly link because i searched up and down on synologys site and found fuckall to peoples signatures. This is what i downloaded back on 2/27 synology_bromolow_3615xs update 6.pat synology_bromolow_3615xs6.0upd11.pat i dont even know what i had on my damn system all i know is a nice large hammer to this mediasmart server is coming soon.. im just angry ill come back in a few hours and report back in the mean time im staying away to calm my nerves down. I know i screwed up somewhere but being able to correct it shouldnt be so damn difficult

I have a problem, the migration works (networkcard is blinking)

but after migration the network card doesnt comes up. I think i need a working extra.lmza?

Realtek RTL8111GR (ASROCK q1800 ITX)

(the only way to get the network up is, choose install during boot.. but this does only load the migration environment)

Photostation 6 Video Playback with DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 2 - Differences between DS3615XS and DS3617XS

When running DSM 5.2 on my xpenology DS3615XS, the Photostation application worked flawlessly and had no problems displaying both photos and videos that were in the Photostation folders.

Since I upgraded to DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 2 (and earlier iterations of 6.1) as a DS3617XS, Photostation continues to work OK, but it will no longer playback the video segments that were playing correctly in the earlier version of Photostation. The very same videos play correctly on my Synology DS1513+ (Atom based) NAS under DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 2.

I'm thinking that perhaps I should create a Jun's DS3615XS bootloader v1.02a to replace the Jun's DS3617XS v1.02a2 that currently booting the xPenology box. I'm thinking this may solve the Photostation video playback issues.

Does anybody have any cautionary warnings before I go down this path.

If I create a new DS3615XS bootloader using Jun's v1.02a, is it simply a matter of shutting down the xPenology DS3617XS, replacing the v1.02a2 bootloader USB stick with one with the DS3615XS v1.02a loader, and restarting the NAS? Am I missing any issues that would stop the box continuing to operate, this time emulating a DS3615XS with the same version of DSM (DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 2)?

My box comprises: Supermicro X10SL7-F mbrd, Xeon E3-1241v3, 16GB (2x8GB ECC), 4x8TB WD80EFZX HDD in RAID 6 config: baremetal.

Photostation 6 Video Playback with DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 2 - Differences between DS3615XS and DS3617XS

When running DSM 5.2 on my xpenology DS3615XS, the Photostation application worked flawlessly and had no problems displaying both photos and videos that were in the Photostation folders.

Since I upgraded to DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 2 (and earlier iterations of 6.1) as a DS3617XS, Photostation continues to work OK, but it will no longer playback the video segments that were playing correctly in the earlier version of Photostation. The very same videos play correctly on my Synology DS1513+ (Atom based) NAS under DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 2.

I'm thinking that perhaps I should create a Jun's DS3615XS bootloader v1.02a to replace the Jun's DS3617XS v1.02a2 that currently booting the xPenology box. I'm thinking this may solve the Photostation video playback issues.

Does anybody have any cautionary warnings before I go down this path.

If I create a new DS3615XS bootloader using Jun's v1.02a, is it simply a matter of shutting down the xPenology DS3617XS, replacing the v1.02a2 bootloader USB stick with one with the DS3615XS v1.02a loader, and restarting the NAS? Am I missing any issues that would stop the box continuing to operate, this time emulating a DS3615XS with the same version of DSM (DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 2)?

My box comprises: Supermicro X10SL7-F mbrd, Xeon E3-1241v3, 16GB (2x8GB ECC), 4x8TB WD80EFZX HDD in RAID 6 config: baremetal.

My question. You were running DSM 5.2 on xpenology DS3615XS just fine. Why did you upgraded to Jun's DS3617XS instead of the same Jun's DS3615XS bootloader?

My question. You were running DSM 5.2 on xpenology DS3615XS just fine. Why did you upgraded to Jun's DS3617XS instead of the same Jun's DS3615XS bootloader?

I aint Rhubarb so maybe only he can answer exactly. But I am making a guess here that it really doesn't matter if you go for DS3615XS or DS3617XS because you need to create a new usb drive to boot the DSM 6.1 or later iteration anyway. Moreover latest Jun's loader for DS3615XS is v1.02a whereas the latest is v1.02a2 for DS3617XS, which is a later revised version. Although I remember v1.02a2 only contains very minor change, it still make sense to go for the later version if you were to try something new.

Having said all above, neither of the two loader work for my setup with both error 13, which really is a bomber. :-|

I aint Rhubarb so maybe only he can answer exactly. But I am making a guess here that it really doesn't matter if you go for DS3615XS or DS3617XS because you need to create a new usb drive to boot the DSM 6.1 or later iteration anyway. Moreover latest Jun's loader for DS3615XS is v1.02a whereas the latest is v1.02a2 for DS3617XS, which is a later revised version. Although I remember v1.02a2 only contains very minor change, it still make sense to go for the later version if you were to try something new.

Having said all above, neither of the two loader work for my setup with both error 13, which really is a bomber. :-|

1. jun's loader v1.02.a2 is a fixed loader for ds3617xs, v1.02a has "time bomb"

2. ds3617xs is compiled for new cpu architecture, with new set of instructions, hardware acceleration etc. if you use it on old cpu then it can cause problems on some part of dsm and packages, but users will blame xpeno loaders. for sake of safety and peace of mind its highly recommended to use emulation of ds3615xs