XPEnology Community

Jun's Alpha Loader for DSM 6.1

CrazyCreator

ok,

I have this up and running bare metal.

I found that with the 1.01 loader I had to alter a few things to get it working (see my comments in the main tutorial thread). THe changes in the file/mage structure with 1.02A result in proper boot with full NIC function and install.

I am currently operating Update 2 of 6.1 and will add more here or post back as I test more. I won't be putting this in as my production machine for a while so I'm happy to test aspects if people need (I just may need some instruction :razz:).

Mine is a clean install with no data so I can't comment on what the update may do otherwise sorry.

ok,

I have this up and running bare metal.

I found that with the 1.01 loader I had to alter a few things to get it working (see my comments in the main tutorial thread). THe changes in the file/mage structure with 1.02A result in proper boot with full NIC function and install.

I am currently operating Update 2 of 6.1 and will add more here or post back as I test more. I won't be putting this in as my production machine for a while so I'm happy to test aspects if people need (I just may need some instruction :razz:).

Mine is a clean install with no data so I can't comment on what the update may do otherwise sorry.

What you do to get properly working, the NIC? please help me :sad:

Why is there even a version (here) for DS3617xs anyway??

It's a virtual disk station, on different hardware, so why bother?

It's not an actual DS3617 and the OS is the same - DS 6.1.

Do you gain anything other than grief trying to make it work - over using the tried and tested DS3615xs??

#H

Tried both the alpha 2 loaders

DS3617xs works fine, migrated from DS3615xs without errors.

DS916p had network detection issues, probably driver related.

What does network detection issues mean? Did you see the kernel logs to be able to state that?

For DS916p to work you need the adequate hardware, and by adequate hardware I mean the CPU should be a braswell processors, 4th Gen Core processor or later. See here >>> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=2530#p98458

What does network detection issues mean? Did you see the kernel logs to be able to state that?

For DS916p to work you need the adequate hardware, and by adequate hardware I mean the CPU should be a braswell processors, 4th Gen Core processor or later. See here >>> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=2530#p98458

I'm running a Xeon E3 1231v3 on an Asus H97i Plus baremetal and it's unable to get an statically defined IP. What paramater should I pass to grub to enable verbose boot?

I have an Asrok N3150B-ITX with realtek RTL811GR chip. burned the DS916 image to a formated USB, known work well, modified VPI and PID, kept the mac and SN. It appeared have booted, but undetectable on network, Router and Synology assist. It is a braswell CPU. It appears to be the network card not being detected.

I can tell it is booted by trying to press the power button. If is booted, you have to hold the power button for a few seconds to shut down. It is not booted, touching the button briefly is enough to shut it off.

I'm running a Xeon E3 1231v3 on an Asus H97i Plus baremetal and it's unable to get an statically defined IP. What paramater should I pass to grub to enable verbose boot?

You have to see the logs through a consol and with a serial cable. No other way as far as I know.

I have an Asrok N3150B-ITX with realtek RTL811GR chip. burned the DS916 image to a formated USB, known work well, modified VPI and PID, kept the mac and SN. It appeared have booted, but undetectable on network, Router and Synology assist. It is a braswell CPU. It appears to be the network card not being detected.

I can tell it is booted by trying to press the power button. If is booted, you have to hold the power button for a few seconds to shut down. It is not booted, touching the button briefly is enough to shut it off.

That doesn't mean anything. It's not a way of knowing if the problem is a network issue or something else. You need the logs to be sure as stated above.

Compare DS3615 vs DS3617 big different is the CPU. Means Intel Core i3-4130 vs Intel Xeon D-1527. The Xeon have 4 cores with 8 Threads and the Core only 2 cores with 4 threads. I test the DS3615 in vmware and give them more than 4 cores and run into trouble. With the Xeon I have the capability to use 8 cores. Thats great for a machine that also using for a Plex server.

My cpu Apollo Lake(J4205)should belong to 4th Gen Core processor or later。DS916+ can not be found on the LAN。

How can I check my log and guide me?

thank you

Compare DS3615 vs DS3617 big different is the CPU. Means Intel Core i3-4130 vs Intel Xeon D-1527. The Xeon have 4 cores with 8 Threads and the Core only 2 cores with 4 threads. I test the DS3615 in vmware and give them more than 4 cores and run into trouble. With the Xeon I have the capability to use 8 cores. Thats great for a machine that also using for a Plex server.

That's interesting. I am running DSM 6.0 on exsi 6.0 with HP MS Gen8 and E3 1240v2 (4 cores 8 threads). With some testing, I found that assigning 2 vcpu (core #0 & #2, which are the actual cores, not the associated thread of any core) is sufficient for Plex Server transcoding. H264 were transcoded without full cpu utilisation and even H265 were at full utilisation at 100% during playback, it has minimal to no impact to the smoothness of the displayed video. I also tried assigning 3 vcpu (core #0, #1 & #2 this time, which #1 being #0's associated thread) with even better performance for H265 transcoding. Such cpu utilisation would drop to average 80~90%.

The point is, 3 vcpu for DSM seem sufficient for most of the task assuming transcoding is the most demanding task to run on DSM (that seem to be the case with my usage).

Not to say it isn't great to be able to utilise more cpu power with DS3617 loader, just sharing my experience and hope to exchange for better effiecient setup.

Efficiency setup is really hard for me. Have a Dell T620 with 16 Cores and 32 threads. Its no different if the cores runs idle with or without assign to a vm.

ah, with 16 cores and 32 threads, that is true that you got plenty to toss around. Actually envying you with such a powerful machine :twisted:

With only 8 total threads, I had no option other to optimize the best performance out of the limited resource, so my other 4 VMs could still have enough vcpu to run smoothly.

Anyway, I am guessing your conclusion regarding difference between DS3615 vs DS3617 would only benfit if one is going to assign more than 4 vcpu to DSM?

Not sure. Jun wrote something that he made some code changes for better matching xeon cpu.

Not sure where you read that. As far as I know Jun stated what CPU type is required for DS916+ to work properly. For the rest, he states he enabled mcu emulation to take care of the "time bomb" issue. Both matters can be read here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=2530#p98458

here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&p=98490#p98539

and, here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&p=98490#p98490

Just tried creating a vm with 40GB virtual HDD on esxi 6.0, boot the loader v1.01a2 for DS3617xs of a USB flash drive. It boots into "Install DiskStation Manager (DSM)" alright, then when I try to start the installation by using "Manual Install" with "DSM_DS3617xs_15047.pat" or "Install the latest DSM", it both proceed to 54% and interrupted with error message "Failed to installthe file. The file is probably corrupted. (13)"

Thinking it might be something to do with my virtual HDD, but the same method had been deployed successfully on my working xpenology, which is still on DS3615xs DSM 6.0. Not sure what's the problem is. Anyone with similar experience?

I have install Jun's Loader v1.02a on my HP Microserver Gen8 but everytime when I restart server I can't find Xpenology on my network then I need to change SN and MAC in order to work again. Does anyone know why this is happening and is someone has a fix for this issue?

Regards

Igor

I have install Jun's Loader v1.02a on my HP Microserver Gen8 but everytime when I restart server I can't find Xpenology on my network then I need to change SN and MAC in order to work again. Does anyone know why this is happening and is someone has a fix for this issue?

Regards

Igor

That's odd. For interest how are you changing the SN and MAC each time? Sounds like it's not saved permanently on your boot usb.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi There,

Using DSM 6.1 for 4 days now, and works good. Also SN works good. I use SN from Old broken DS209j.

Only bad thing is Airplay/DLNA. From DS Audio i stream my music to my Onkyo receiver. After a day, DS audio cannot find my Onkyo anymore. After reboot it works for about 1 day. DS Video keeps working, and also find my Onkyo (and TV).

I've a HP Mediasmart X495 server and i only can boot with 3 HDD's, after boot i can add 4th drive. So it is not easy to reboot...

Some people have same problem?