XPEnology Community

Jun's Alpha Loader for DSM 6.1

CrazyCreator

I am holding off. I do not have the need to go to 6.1 yet. Also, I am not liking those "volume crashed" or whatever messages that appear on screen even if they seem to have disappeared with update 2. Finally there are still some module loading issues with his release and also still no AMD support.

Only Jun himself can answer that question but I suppose that if he has the time he is probably also looking into the recently published source code of DSM 6.1

Since Update 2, my NAS does not produce the 12h volume error, or the inaccessible DSM dashboard. I'm currently at 1d 6h uptime, mainly because I installed a 5.25" -> 4x 2.5" bracket last evening. But apart from that, my NAS has been running non-stop since last Friday, with Update 2.

I understand but I'm in no rush. Those volume errors being gone with an official update from Synology is kind of weird and doesn't sound quite right. Is Synology fixing Jun's patch now? :grin:. Joke aside, I'd rather wait Jun to come up with a more stable release.

I understand but I'm in no rush. Those volume errors being gone with an official update from Synology is kind of weird and doesn't sound quite right. Is Synology fixing Jun's patch now? :grin:. Joke aside, I'd rather wait Jun to come up with a more stable release.

FYI.. I have just checked and the 'phantom' volume crash errors are reported on the Official Synology forums - on Synology hardware - for the original 6.1 release.

So it looks to be an issue with the release - and not Jun's loader.. :smile:

Which has now been fixed.. :grin:

#H

FYI.. I have just checked and the 'phantom' volume crash errors are reported on the Official Synology forums - on Synology hardware - for the original 6.1 release.

So it looks to be an issue with the release - and not Jun's loader.. :smile:

Which has now been fixed.. :grin:

#H

I see. I should have done my homework! 'Good' to hear it was an 'official' bug!

For the sake of completeness I am adding here the link to the report about the issue which I suppose is the one you are referring to:

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=128834

What is strange though is that I can't find any other official reports on this on the net, other than the topic above.

Below is what the release note of update 2 for DS3615x says. The 'volume crash' message we are seing might be the one I have highlighted in bold below, although it is not very clear what 'display' message they have fixed:

Version: 6.1-15047-2

(2017/03/22)

Fixed Issues

Fixed an issue where a high-availability cluster might unexpectedly switch over when the active server is busy.

Fixed an issue where SHA alternatively displays the message of availability/unavailability due to false alarm.

Fixed an issue where DSM cannot be joined into Windows AD domains after upgrading to version 6.1.

Fixed an issue where domain users cannot be edited on DSM after enabling Windows AD services.

Fixed an issue where LDAP users could fail to access files via the SMB protocol.

Fixed the compatibility issue of VMware with some file LUNs created on DSM 6.0 Beta.

Fixed an issue where an encrypted shared folder cannot be decrypted when the encryption key is set to maximum length.

Enhanced the stability of the iSCSI service.

Fixed an issue where Auto Block might fail to block addresses when the Allow List is set as an IP range.

Fixed an incorrect volume display on some models where RAID Groups are supported and SHR has been enabled.

Fixed an issue where Microsoft Office and Adobe documents cannot be opened on Windows after being accessed on macOS via the AFP protocol.

Improved the write performance of fragmented Btrfs volumes.

Added Seagate IronWolf Health Management (IHM) support on Broadwell-DE models.

Fixed the compatibility issue of WD WD8001FFWX with the DX1215 expansion unit.

I think you should read the forum carefully before you ask a question which is allready answered. :shock:

Yes, it is possible to update to DSM 6.1 with Juns Alpha Loder. But its ALPHA, so its just for testing purposes.

I had read title from this section and I haven't see anything regarding DSM 6.1 :wink:

That line could refer to the fix for the volume issue - not sure of the exact ins and outs though.

I'm increasingly willing to risk an upgrade on my main NAS.. I'll keep one eye on the Synology forums though - to see what issues are present..

Cheers

#H

That line could refer to the fix for the volume issue - not sure of the exact ins and outs though.

I'm increasingly willing to risk an upgrade on my main NAS.. I'll keep one eye on the Synology forums though - to see what issues are present..

Cheers

#H

Let me know how it went.

Is upgrading from dsm 6 (jun 1.0 loader) as follows:

- Flash the new 1.02a loader

- Take out old usb drive

- Reboot with new loader

- Choose upgrade

- Profit????

Anyone who can confirm those steps?

- Take out old usb drive

- Reboot with new loader

- Choose upgrade

- Profit????

I've done it already, twice, on a test machine I have.. Bare metal DS3615xs..

I used a second, new, USB drive with the new loader on it..

Steps are..

- Shut down existing 6.0.2 NAS.

- Insert new USB drive flashed with new 1.02a loader. Settings should be edited as per your original loader for 6.0.x (Pid/vid/Serial number/MAC addresses/Sataportmap etc). I had to move Sataportmap command to the upper line, so it was used..

- Boot to new USB drive on your NAS. Select defaults (or just leave it).

- Scan network for new IP address (it doesnt stay the same) and open in browser (I don't use the find synology method).

- It will ask you if you want to Migrate or Clean install - choose to Migrate..

- Use (previously downloaded) pat file for 6.1 to update the box (200meg or so)..

- Box will update and reboot.. Logon again, set static IP address etc..

- Update to latest patch 2..

- Reboot.

- Done! :smile:

Edited by Guest

- Take out old usb drive

- Reboot with new loader

- Choose upgrade

- Profit????

I've done it already, twice, on a test machine I have.. Bare metal DS3615xs..

I used a second, new, USB drive with the new loader on it..

Steps are..

- Shut down existing 6.0.2 NAS.

- Insert new USB drive flashed with new 1.02a loader. Settings should be edited as per your original loader for 6.0.x (Pid/vid/Serial number/MAC addresses/Sataportmap etc). I had to move Sataportmap command to the upper line, so it was used..

- Boot to new USB drive on your NAS. Select defaults (or just leave it).

- Scan network for new IP address (it doesnt stay the same) and open in browser (I don't use the find synology method).

- It will ask you if you want to Migrate or Clean install - choose to Migrate..

- Use (previously downloaded) pat file for 6.1 to update the box (200meg or so)..

- Box will update and reboot.. Logon again, set static IP address etc..

- Update to latest patch 2..

- Reboot.

- Done! :smile:

1. IP does stay the same, especially if you use the same MAC address and/or configured static IP.

2. No need for a "new" flash drive. Just use the same drive, and fill the info accordingly.

3. If you do use a new flash drive (i.e. another one), make sure you use the PID/VID of that drive, and the old one's.

4. No need to download 6.1 PAT, just use the automatic install (it will only install the main 6.1 release, not the updates)

Otherwise, yes, it is correct.

1. IP does stay the same, especially if you use the same MAC address and/or configured static IP.

2. No need for a "new" flash drive. Just use the same drive, and fill the info accordingly.

3. If you do use a new flash drive (i.e. another one), make sure you use the PID/VID of that drive, and the old one's.

4. No need to download 6.1 PAT, just use the automatic install (it will only install the main 6.1 release, not the updates)

No. It is correct. I was giving MY methodology. Feel free to give yours.. :wink:

1.. It didn't for me, twice - and it was a static IP address on the box previously..

2.. Do you think I don't know that? I 'chose' to use a new, spare, one (as I wanted the previous flash drive as a backup. It is in Alpha, after all)..

3.. It's an identical model of flash drive so the PID/VID are the same..

4.. I wanted to install it manually - and I will continue do so so, so I know the file that that gets installed is the one I tested..

#H

Let me know how it went.

Just upgraded my main NAS to 6.1.. Went fine.

All configuration settings were retained (that I've checked so far). LACP, SSD Cache, 2x Raid 1 volumes etc all look fine..

The IP address was reset to DHCP on first boot (as found in my testing) but after the package installed and the NAS rebooted, this time, the IP Address went back to what was statically configured. Saved me a step! :smile:

Updated to update2 without a problem.. Just throwing another SSD in there (that I just found) and I'll get virtualbox installed! :grin:

edit.. Virtualbox installed with no issues.. Installing a server OS into Virtualbox just now! :smile:

#H

Edited by Guest

No. It is correct. I was giving MY methodology. Feel free to give yours.. :wink:

1.. It didn't for me, twice - and it was a static IP address on the box previously..

2.. Do you think I don't know that? I 'chose' to use a new, spare, one (as I wanted the previous flash drive as a backup. It is in Alpha, after all)..

3.. It's an identical model of flash drive so the PID/VID are the same..

4.. I wanted to install it manually - and I will continue do so so, so I know the file that that gets installed is the one I tested..

#H

1. That's weird. Routers tend to give the same IP address out, even if it isn't in the DHCP range, as there's an active lease for the MAC-IP pair, which gets picked up. How long is your DHCP lease in your router?

2.-3. Okay, but since you did not specify this, it can be misleading for others who might be not as versed in this topic as you or me. Just wanted to clarify.

4. That's alright. Still just saying, for the completeness of your statement, that it is not required, per se, to download and install the PAT manually.

My synology was on 6.0, the update to the 6.1 without my agreement. Since then I'm stuck, on 6.1 of course impossible to access my nas. That's why I try your last version of the jun bootloader even if it's an alpha the bootloader 1.0.2a. I made a install then a recuperation with find.synology.com and everything was fine.He asked me for doing a recovery and migrate all my data and everything was back. Until....... after one day after the dsm made some kind of crash and show me a page with the message " Sorry, the page you are looking for is not found." then I redo a install again and it work again and few hours later. Same error message :sad:

I have no more ideas how to solve this problem. Can you help?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Edited by Guest

1. That's weird. Routers tend to give the same IP address out, even if it isn't in the DHCP range, as there's an active lease for the MAC-IP pair, which gets picked up. How long is your DHCP lease in your router?

2.-3. Okay, but since you did not specify this, it can be misleading for others who might be not as versed in this topic as you or me. Just wanted to clarify.

4. That's alright. Still just saying, for the completeness of your statement, that it is not required, per se, to download and install the PAT manually.

No worries.. :smile:

#H

Seems that synology checks the serial and mac address during installation.

I tried to re-use my old serial and mac from the ds3615xs on the new DS3617xs, but the installation failed over and over.

Once i flashed the DS3615xs loader it all went fine =)