XPEnology Community

Which version to install? And from which site?

john3voltas

Question

Greetings, fellows.

I am new to XPEnology and I have a lot of questions about it, so I decided to register in the forum to post a few of those questions in hope that someone can help me better understand it.

The first question is "which version should I install?". With XPEnology's core being a NAS software appliance, I would like to run the most stable software/firmware on it. But I would also like to use the most up-to-date releases to keep up with bugs/vulnerabilities fixes.

When I checked http://xpenology.me/downloads I found software/firmware up-to 5.2-5644.5 but then I checked https://download.xpenology.xyz/ and I found 5.2-5967.1.

And neither of these checks with the latest from Synology which currently shows 5.2-5967.2.

Since Synology says that 5.2-5967.2 was created to "Applied the workaround to mitigate a security vulnerability of libupnp module (CVE-2016-6255)" does this mean that if I run 5.2-5967.1 from xpenology.xyz I will be running a build with a libupnp vulnerability?

Also, I think I read somewhere that some packages are starting to require 6.x, but from what I could understand xpenology still cannot run 6.x reliably, right? I am not much worried about not being able to run the latest branch, I am only worried about not being able to run some packages and with the fact that Synology is not working on 5.2 any longer which might mean that it is now more prone to vulnerabilities.

So, how do you guys use xpenology? How do you deal with my dilemmas?

TIA

Cheers

2 answers to this question