XPEnology Community

Tutorial: How to access DSM's Data & System partitions

Polanskiman

On 9/14/2022 at 5:00 PM, JakeSully said:

You just saved my 2FA problem. But sadly since i used following command: btrfs check --repair  /dev/partitionhere when trying to access DATA it screwed it up and i lost all my data anyway.

But main thing your guide gave me access to system partition which was exactly where i needed to go to, so i could look for a file related for 2FA which i did and after removing/renaming it and then boot into normal mode i could login to my DSM again without the 2FA miss config error that i got after upgrading from 7.1.0 to 7.1.1.

So next time if i happen to be in same problem again i will then know what todo and use your guide again!

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have the same exact issue, replaced my phone and now can't access because of 2FA and SSH is turned off. I've created a Linux Live USB, attached it to my NAS and booted it up. When I try to follow these instructions I get a similar error reported above, "sdb1: no such file or directory... has no superblock" How exactly did you get this to work and what drives did you mount? After they were mounted what command did you run to remove 2FA? Any help is appreciated. I've been working on this all day and I feel like I'm super close, but missing something.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there, I hope my question suits this thread. I had a security discussion with a friend yesterday, who told me, that the system partition can be easily mounted - this tutorial proves his point. He also stated that any authentication information would be saved in this system partition, in particular credentials for remote targets like form HyperBackUp, thus, anyone getting physical access to a drive of my Synology could access e.g. a OneDrive, Dropbox account. Is this true? 

Edited by KoenigLudwig