XPEnology Community

ESXi 6.5 + DSM 6.1 + WD Red. Right performance?

romansoft

Hi,

I have a HP Gen8 Microserver with upgraded CPU&RAM (Xeon + 16GB RAM), running ESXi 6.5 so I installed Xpenology/DSM 6.1 (yes, new version) in a VM (with Jun's 1.02a loader).

I've attached 3 WD Red disks, in *AHCI* mode, and I've configured them in the VM as RDM disks (I don't have extra sata card in order to use VTd/Passthrough).

After solving a first huge performance problem (horrible 2 MB/s speed!!!), by disabling Vmware AHCI driver and enabling legacy one (full story here: http://www.nxhut.com/2016/11/fix-slow-d ... wahci.html), these are the current speeds I'm getting *inside* DSM:

Read:

- iops: 109

- performance: 154 MB/s

- latency: 16.2 ms

Write:

- iops: 94

- performance: 35 MB/s

- latency: 17.6 ms

(data obtained using DSM 6.1: Storage admin -> HDD/SSD -> Test bank)

For me, 154 MB/s read is ok and according to WD Red specs. But, isn't 35 MB/s write quite slow????

Are this values correct for you? Which values are you getting on WD Red disks?

Please, could you complete this thread providing your values, and specifying:

- virtualization / baremetal (eg: esxi, vbox, baremetal)

- hw specs or server model

- disk model

Thank you.

Cheers,

-r

Hi all,

Sorry if I'm asking question in a wrong thread (I'm only new to this forum), but is it possible to run DSM 6.0 or 6.1 on ESX 5.5?

Was trying to set it up using Jun's mod 1.0.1, but that went to hell. Keep gettin errors when installing OVF ("unsupported virtual hardware device 'vmware.sata.ahci') Tried modifying it etc., fixing this error creates few other ones. Is this an ESX 5.5 compatibility issues with the Jun's OVF image?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi all,

Sorry if I'm asking question in a wrong thread (I'm only new to this forum), but is it possible to run DSM 6.0 or 6.1 on ESX 5.5?

Was trying to set it up using Jun's mod 1.0.1, but that went to hell. Keep gettin errors when installing OVF ("unsupported virtual hardware device 'vmware.sata.ahci') Tried modifying it etc., fixing this error creates few other ones. Is this an ESX 5.5 compatibility issues with the Jun's OVF image?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

It is possible. Don't import OVF, just create new VM and add 1st hdd from jun's OVF. Then add hard driver for data volumes, set memory and cpus. Thats all.

Please, open a new thread for installation/upgrade issues, This thread was supposed to be related to *PERFORMANCE*

===

Btw, quick responses/ideas:

1/ you can import Jun's ovf first on Vmware Workstation (a lot more flexible than ESXi) on your laptop, play on that (change VM compatibility, etc), and finally "upload" to esxi directly from vmware wks (there's an option for that). This way you will get .vmdk only file "translated" to vmdk + flat-vmdk files (which ESXi 6.5 uses).

2/ For migration (DSM 6.0.2 -> 6.1), once you have full DSM 6.1 vm uploaded to ESXi 6.5, then pick up 1st disk (2 files: vmdk + flat) and copy to "legacy DSM" vm dir, then create a new disk with "opening existing disk". Finally change boot priority or best: simply edit vm hw and change port number so your new boot disk start the vm instead of old DSM boot disk (you can destroy oldest boot disk if you prefer). Upon starting vm, you'll get into DSM migration wizard (DSM will detect you're migrating).

3/ DSM migration wizard has 2 choices: 1/ try to preserve config&data; or 2/ only preserve data but not config. I did a quick test with 1, on another vm (with fake data), and it failed (migration seems ok but after rebooting I don't get IP address). So finally I upgraded using the "only preserve data" choice (you'll loose configs!!!!!) and it worked.

===

Again, please, be so kind to open a NEW thread for installation issues. This was not the purpose of this thread and I don't have any valid answer regarding the original question: performance.

Thanks.

I don't think it's a good idea use nas software into a Hypervisor, it can be do it, but i think it need a study to build correct hypervisor hardware and storage.

Due to nature of NAS software it need less software layer from nas software and hardware, hypervisor insert a layer from hardware and nas software.

all of this, in my humble opinion.

And you're probably right. This is specially true for freenas/zfs (where low-level optimizations are done by SO; hypervisor may affect).

In case of xpenology, well, it's a simple Linux with software raid (then lvm + btrfs). If you monitor (smart) disks health from outside VM, you're done.

Cheers,

-r

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

I have similar hadware, 6.1 on esxi 6.5 and drives added to dsm using RDM; the thing is mine are not AHCI, I'm using raid (from gen8 bios) and can't use the same testing method (no smart info)

I also disabled the vmware driver and downgraded to the old hpvsa driver (.88) for better performance; I can't give you specific numbers to compare performance but if you know other testing methods that will work for both of us we can compare the results.