XPEnology Community

ESX6 Install of DS3615xs 6.0.2 Jun's Mod V1.01

cul8rmom1

ESX6 Install of DS3615xs 6.0.2 Jun's Mod V1.01 that actually works. (Skip to the end if you just want the steps. If it doesnt work then read everything... mostly for the lolz.)

I have no idea why it is so hard to make an OVF that works. After I got the VM working and converted to an OVF it worked great.

Download the pat and the zip file from here. https://download.xpenology.xyz/ Its at the top. If you are installing it fresh you should totally ignore the READ ME FIRST with an extreme amount of predjudice. Like the seething hatred of a thousand suns.

"XPEnoboot for DSM 6.0.2 by jun

!!! READ ME FIRST !!!

DS3615xs 6.0.2-8451 v1.01: [pat] [zip]"

https://download.xpenology.xyz/

Once you have those. Open up your vcenter console and import the OVF. If you dont have the client integration package or you have certain characters like ## in my case. Or your path is too long it will give you an error.

So now you have it deployed. Dont even bother powering it on. It will do something stupid.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------Venting Start---Feel free to skip----------------------------------------------------

You will actually lose IQ points trying to figure out what the hell is going on, why it doesnt work and how something who obviously has a high degree of technical knowledge can't create an OVF template that actually works.

I attribute it to the myopic characteristics of socially inept subterranean linux folks. The only people I dislike more are JAVA developers the JAVA language, whoever paid for them to learn it, the company who makes it and all of the family members who had something to do with their inception, existence and continued well-being.

Why you say? (Directed at the linux folks. The Java people know what they did.)

Well because they never give you all of the information. They always assume you know everything else except for the specific piece of information. Whenever they provide useful information there is always some component missing. They left something out of a command line example. They say something that totally doesnt work i.e. they havent actually tried it. They provide some information with little or no context. Most of all they tell you something is easy tell you how to do it and always ALWAYS leave something out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------Venting End-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway.

Copy the original synoboot.vmdk and synoboot.img into the data store of the newly created VM.

Edit the vm and remove the 50MB drive save and close it. (We want to make sure the bus id goes away so when we add it again it will start at 0 instead of 1.)

Add a drive tell it existing drive point it at the synoboot.vmdk. (This is just a pointer file that points to the synoboot.img. Open it in a txt file. Many times in some of my other experiences that gateway file can have a bad reference that will cause problems. Paths issues. This gateway file is similar to an RDM vmdk file.)

Make sure you change the controller to SATA and the drive is labeled 0:0. (Dont really know if it is explicitly needed.) Choose persistent instead of dependent. (I dont know if that is needed either since it is just the boot volume that i understand is static.)

Boot it up. It should give you a very brief boot menu then tell you some good stuff and tell you what url to open to find the array. Alternativly you can go download the synology assistant (on synologys site) and it will search your network for your VM.

If you try to install it will say .. hey .. install some drives first. (At this point you could power it down and choose template and export to OVF so you would have one that actually works. Try it. I dare you.)

Power the VM down and go add another hard drive. Choose new of course. I usually choose thin and 100GB. You could do with way less depending on what your needs are. (Using thin only uses what you actually put on it. If your volume outgrows your actual disk capacity then your volume will go read only and your VM will more than likely die. Dont do that.)

So now you have it booting and a hard drive there and you can connect to it. (DHCP address.)

Click setup then make sure you choose manual install. (This next bit is from memory. Yeah Yeah I am being as bad as the linux people. WRONG!!! because im telling you im recalling it from memory.)

Point it at the .pat file and it will install and reboot. Everything should be happy.

Wait a bit. Hit refresh on the browser a few times. You may have to remove everything after the ip address for it to work.

It will ask you for user name and password etc.

Type that in .. duh.

Now when it says automatically install updates change that to download them only.

You can turn it totally off when you get into the NAS interface.

When its says allow it to send data and set up dns etc. Look at the bottom and you will see skip this step. Click on that.

When you are done it will come all the way up.

Now you have to create a volume. Just do it on the 100GB drive or whatever you called it.

I chose basic because I only gave it one drive. Having multiple that are not RDMs is just silly. (I have an ESX server with 12 raw drives mapped to the synology DSM via manually created vmdk pointer files. Yeah Yeah its silly.)

You have to create a raid group then create a volume. (Thats how emc used to do it. Create a raid group with all of the disks or a subset (Some raid levels require a minimum number of disks) then create LUNs or volumes using a portion or all of the space.)

I tell it not to scrub or check for errors on the disk because its not a real disk.

Now you are all done. If it breaks or didnt work .. you did something wrong. (Totally owning is and ignoring any inadequacy completely. I should go into politics.)

So to recap.

Download stuff.

DS3615xs 6.0.2-8451 v1.01: [pat] [zip]"

https://download.xpenology.xyz/

Deploy OVF.

Dont boot.

Copy img and vmdk file to datastore where the VM is.

remove old drive 50MB save and close. Edit add existing drive point it to the synoboot.vmdk

Make sure it is SATA controller and its 0:0 and its persistent.

Boot. Make sure it works.

Create an OVF template that works if you want to.

Add another SATA drive. Prob 0:1. Give it space ... set it to persistent .. and so forth.

reboot.

Read the console and do what it says and/or go download the synology assistant.

Setup.

Install DSM manually.

Give it the pat file.

Wait for it to reboot.

When you see skip this step at the bottom click it. Dont send data to synology.

Give it your user name and password.

Login

Set up your volume. Dont scrub/check for errors. One drive use basic. More than one drive do what you want.

All done. Might want to go set a static ip because DHCP for nas and servers is dumb as hell.

I think thats it.

Good luck.... you wont need it anymore :razz:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...