XPEnology Community

Hardware recommendation for encrypted disks

klayman

Hi,

after checking on the available systems from synology and qnap I found that their boxes are hardly capable of full disk encryption. Also with Atom CPUs performance decreases to 5 to 10 Mbyte per second data transfer. I was now wondering if it would be possible to install XPEnology on some more powerful hardware, such as an Intel i3 or i5. But what is really necessary to achieve sufficient performance on a gigabit network and how does that affect power consumption? I'm by the way looking for a 4 to 5 bay RAID5 system.

thanks & best regards,

Klayman

Without having used XPE yet i would say - look at the Synology Performance charts (http://www.synology.com/products/performance.php?lang=enu)

The xs class reaches around Gigabit speed with AES 256 and utilizes an Intel Core i3-2100 ... without AES New Instructions (as per ark.intel.com).

I hope to achieve the same with the new Avoton (Atom); ask me again in a week;)

What i wonder is - is there an official way to do full disk encryption? I was only able to find folder based encryption...

Without having used XPE yet i would say - look at the Synology Performance charts (http://www.synology.com/products/performance.php?lang=enu)

The xs class reaches around Gigabit speed with AES 256 and utilizes an Intel Core i3-2100 ... without AES New Instructions (as per ark.intel.com).

I hope to achieve the same with the new Avoton (Atom); ask me again in a week;)

What i wonder is - is there an official way to do full disk encryption? I was only able to find folder based encryption...

I highly doubt Synology has implemented full-disk encryption, as they would have to either have a designated OS disk, or implement encryption handling in BIOS. And that wouldn't be supported by our devices, especially the way Synology likes to do stuff.

But I think volume encryption *should* be possible, even if you have to hack around for that. I did make a shared folder out of all volumes for root/admin only, so it should be achievable too.

I highly doubt Synology has implemented full-disk encryption, as they would have to either have a designated OS disk, or implement encryption handling in BIOS. And that wouldn't be supported by our devices, especially the way Synology likes to do stuff.

(Just speculating here)

Hm, but in our case there is a dedicated OS disk (USB drive)...

The question is then whether the synology (raid?) stuff being copied to all drives can be run on an encrypted disk;

If not then volume/folder encryption would likely be the only way - or a self encrypting disk maybe which should be oblivious to whats going on on a higher level...