XPEnology Community

XPEnology 6 on QNAP TVS-473

gn28

Question

Hi everyone,

I just received a tvs-473 as a gift. My first choice would have been a synology box, but that's life.

Can someone please explain to or point me to the relevant link so I will know how to install synology 6.x on my qnap box? I know how to get into the bios (F7) and boot from a usb stick but that's as far as my knowledge goes.

Thanks in advance

15 answers to this question

I think as long as you can boot from a usb stick your should be good to follow the instructions from baremetal installs . I was able to get Xpenboot 5.2 working on my TVS-471 with out too many issues but i wound up going back to stock cause of a few minor issues not sure exactly what they were but i know one was i couldnt turn off the LCD screen it would always stay on and never trun off it got annoying . Not sure if you will have issues with the CPU since yours is AMD & mine was intel, i think it works for both types of CPU's but not 100% sure. you could always sell it for a real synology unit

So far I seem to have no luck figuring out how to install the 6.0 version... I guess I'll try something older... what a pity.

I boot and no matter what I chose I do not see anything in the network on find.synology.com

I'll take a look at your link... 5.2 boots fine and I can see it in the network, but it just says "No hard disk found" even though I tested the drives and my DS214+ sees them just fine.... and I even have a 256gb m.2 SSD in

yeah... no luck so far... man this is such a pity.. something is really wrong... I'll be really sad if I have to throw away this nice qnap box :sad:

yeah... no luck so far... man this is such a pity.. something is really wrong... I'll be really sad if I have to throw away this nice qnap box :sad:

Well you have a nice box with the QNAP, they are not bad the interface isn't as nice as Synology its gotten a little better with the newest beta. I think the main issue here is the box you have is an AMD version and xpenology boot loaders don't have the proper drivers for your hardware so you might be SOL on a baremetal install but you could always run it as a virtual machine and pass the maximum resources to the VM , i think you will be surprised on how decent it will run.. You could also sell it on ebay or something else, they hold there value and then you could get the synology box you want

Well you have a nice box with the QNAP, they are not bad the interface isn't as nice as Synology its gotten a little better with the newest beta. I think the main issue here is the box you have is an AMD version and xpenology boot loaders don't have the proper drivers for your hardware so you might be SOL on a baremetal install but you could always run it as a virtual machine and pass the maximum resources to the VM , i think you will be surprised on how decent it will run.. You could also sell it on ebay or something else, they hold there value and then you could get the synology box you want

That's where it is really strange, because xpenology boots just fine, it finds the network cards, but it does not find my hard drives for some reason.

I will give it a few more tries with older versions. Otherwise I will go with your suggestion and hope someone buys it on ebay.

I have a QNAP TBS-453A the beautiful little BOX with 4 * slots baies SSD M.2 and i have tested with XPEnology and also Windows 10 ...

I think that your TVS-473 is with a similar hardware

Possible problems are because BIOS use UEFI for HDD

I have a QNAP TBS-453A the beautiful little BOX with 4 * slots baies SSD M.2 and i have tested with XPEnology and also Windows 10 ...

How did you manage to get past this Bios issue?

Thanks in advance

So drives are not showing up...

Can you check in terminal if the SATA controller onboard has a loaded driver, and is recognized? If not, you possibly need to compile your own controller module - the currently supported controllers are limited to a handful of commercial ones, most that you find in off-the-shelf motherboards, HBAs, et cetera. It is possible that QNAP decided to use a more obscure (or enterprise level?) controller.

Thanks in advance

Look in setup BIOS for running at startup USB key in UEFI or MBR mode ( key ESC )

Also possible problems with HDD Marvell controller or AMD CPU

Can you check in terminal if the SATA controller onboard has a loaded driver, and is recognized? If not, you possibly need to compile your own controller module - the currently supported controllers are limited to a handful of commercial ones, most that you find in off-the-shelf motherboards, HBAs, et cetera. It is possible that QNAP decided to use a more obscure (or enterprise level?) controller.

@fonix232 - what commands must I run?

Thanks in advance

Look in setup BIOS for running at startup USB key in UEFI or MBR mode ( key ESC )

Also possible problems with HDD Marvell controller or AMD CPU

I tried all the boot options, but so far none is able to load the SATA drivers (aka the installer does not see the drives). Any ideas?

@fonix232 - what commands must I run?

Sorry for the late reply.

Use lspci, or even better, if you can get it installed, lshw, and of course, lsmod to check the kernel modules.

Sorry for the late reply.

Use lspci, or even better, if you can get it installed, lshw, and of course, lsmod to check the kernel modules.

Once it boots, can I ssh to xpwnology to run thise commands?

probably a late reply but nonetheless, yes you can ssh into the server and modify them.

I own a TS-853A and it runs with the internal flash (apacer USB emulation disk is built in on the TS-853A, with 512MB space, perfect to be used as Jun's DSM loader)

msg me if you need any further info :)