XPEnology Community

ESXi DSM 7.2 - Volume 1 Crashed, Unable to Read or Access Data, "parent transid verify failed"

Hi all, very new to Synology shell commands, but I've ready pretty much all the forum posts and couldn't find a solution. Again, new to this so please let me know if you need anything.

Originally a Xpenology 6.2.2, upgraded to 7.2. Worked for a few days.

Using RAW mapping in ESXi to push 10 x 3.3TB drives to Synology. Arranged like so:

Volume 1: RAID6, 4x 3.3TB. BTRFS.

Volume 2: RAID10, 6 x 3.3TB, BTRFS.

The Storage Pool 1 seems fine, it's the Volume 1 that has crashed. I checked using the commands on the forum and my array looks fine.

Using DMESG, I get the following error (repeating):

BTRFS error (device dm-3): parent transid verify failed on 341688320 wanted 1499107 found 1499106
[ 5725.178296] parent transid verify failed on 341688320 wanted 1499107 found 1499104
[ 5725.475268] parent transid verify failed on 341688320 wanted 1499107 found 1499106
[ 5725.475795] parent transid verify failed on 341688320 wanted 1499107 found 1499106
[ 5725.476298] parent transid verify failed on 341688320 wanted 1499107 found 1499106

I have tried mounting both "cachedev_1" and "/dev/vg1/volume1", but it always says that it's "already mounted or mount point busy". I tried the command for unmounting and shutting down all service except SSH (forgot the exact command), but it doesn't exist in DSM 7, and I couldn't find an alternative.

There is a backup on the crashed Volume1, so accessing it read-only would be sufficient for me to recover.

Would love and appreciate any help on this. Again, please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you help me. Thanks again!

I can't tell you how to solve a specific problem with BTRFS (there are a lot of materials, but it's unclear which one will help you) :(

But after solving this, I recommend that you think about "Passthrough" SATA-controllers entirely to DSM instead of using RAW in ESXi. In this case, DSM gets the disks at its full disposal exactly as it would work in baremetal mode.

6 hours ago, dj_nsk said:

I can't tell you how to solve a specific problem with BTRFS (there are a lot of materials, but it's unclear which one will help you) :(

But after solving this, I recommend that you think about "Passthrough" SATA-controllers entirely to DSM instead of using RAW in ESXi. In this case, DSM gets the disks at its full disposal exactly as it would work in baremetal mode.

Thanks for the idea! I had tried that previously, with one big issue; I only have the 12 drives on the LSI controller, so passthrough'ing that would make me lose my ESXi datastores which hosts the SynoBoot. I'll try and see if I can get another drive in there to act as datastore. If so, I'll go by your recommendation. Thanks again!

5 минут назад, Dashrendar2507 сказал:

Thanks for the idea! I had tried that previously, with one big issue; I only have the 12 drives on the LSI controller, so passthrough'ing that would make me lose my ESXi datastores which hosts the SynoBoot. I'll try and see if I can get another drive in there to act as datastore. If so, I'll go by your recommendation. Thanks again!

I keep datastore on NVME disk. And there are also other virtual machines and test DSM with small virtual disks.

@Orphée Thank you for the idea! I'm just back from doing that. I had to use something other than smartctl, but it seems to have worked all the same.

No issue detected.

The one device that could not be opened is a USB drive, so no problem there

Pastebin of the output: https://pastebin.com/MBkJB0cH

Edited by Dashrendar2507

34 minutes ago, dj_nsk said:

I keep datastore on NVME disk. And there are also other virtual machines and test DSM with small virtual disks.

I'll see what I can do. I have a s Dell R720XD, I don't think I have storage options left.

EDIT: I do! I was looking to get the rear backplane for 2 more 2.5 drives, but noticed that I have 2 internal SATA ports. I'll just stick an SSD on there and call it a day. However, I still have to get my issue resolved first.

Edited by Dashrendar2507

26 минут назад, Dashrendar2507 сказал:

I'll see what I can do. I have a s Dell R720XD, I don't think I have storage options left.

Yes, a serious machine! If there are still free PCI-e slots, then you can try M.2 NVME to PCIe Adapter. Okay, I won't impose anymore, sorry

Just an update, I inserted a spare SSD I had, hoping I could mount /dev/mapper/cachedev_1 to it. Unfortunately I get the following error: 

mount: /volume3: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mapper/cachedev_1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

I tried using options, to no avail.

I inserted my drive into a Ubuntu machine and tried to mount the crashed volume using:

mount -t btrfs -o ro,usebackuproot /dev/vg1/volume_1 /vol1

But that didn't work. I get the error "wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock".

I also tried mounting "/dev/md2>, but it always says it's already mounted or the mount point is busy...

Edited by Dashrendar2507

Good news, I was able to copy most of my data from the broken volume, even though I couldn't mount it.

I used the following command:

sudo btrfs restore -x -m -S -i /dev/vg1/volume_1 /volume2/Volume1_Backup/

This searched the broken volume1 for retrievable files and copied them to a backup folder on another volume.

Hope this can help others.

Edited by Dashrendar2507
  • Like 1