XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install 6.x on Oracle Virtualbox (Jun's loader)

kitmsg

That is what I would expect to happen. Synology assistant scans the network it is on and so won't find any machine "hidden" behind NAT.

I don't understand why you want to do this but your machine will be connected to a virtual network created by virtualbox and you could create another virtual machine attached to the same virtual network and run a browser / or assistant from there.

I have fix it  network! But Install is running and I not know at end it shows status Migration.

How I fix network, I have to attach 2 network cards

First i HAVE CREATE NETWORK CARDS.  In this case i choose number 2 for my first network adapter, second is a bridge

Look at attached images

Screenshot_14.jpg

Screenshot_16.jpg

Screenshot_15.jpg

12 hours ago, Rhandyx said:

I have fix it  network! But Install is running and I not know at end it shows status Migration.

How I fix network, I have to attach 2 network cards

First i HAVE CREATE NETWORK CARDS.  In this case i choose number 2 for my first network adapter, second is a bridge

Look at attached images

Screenshot_14.jpg

Screenshot_16.jpg

Screenshot_15.jpg

I don´t know whats wrong now i have two ip one from each network and I can´t have access to any.

If I use only nat, not works, if I use only bridge works but I can´t have access. If I use both.

Screenshot_8.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hey, thank you very much for the tuto. Everything works fine with but once the DSM is installed, I have a message saying that:

We've detected that you moved the hard drive to a new DS3615XS. Clic recover if you want to recover your data...then always the same message. Tried a new install and new hard drive but always the same...

Any idea?

Ch33Rs !

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy everyone,

I'm just sharing my experience of how I've managed to get DS918+ DSM 6.2.3 installed on VirtualBox and it differs to what the OP provided.

Software you'll need

Steps

• Extract the synoboot-ds918.zip
  • Load up VirtualBox and create a new virtual machine with the following details:

Name: Whatever you like

Machine Folder: Where you'd like the machine files to live (I leave mine as default)

Type: Linux

Version: Other Linux (64-bit)

Memory: 4096 MB (you can set whatever you like, just needs to be higher than 512 MB)

Hard Disk: Do not add a virtual hard disk

• Once the virtual machine is created, move the synoboot.img file from the synoboot-ds918.zip extraction and the synoboot.vmdk file into the Machine Folder
  • You'll need to edit some more settings of the virtual machine with the following details:

System > Processor: Change to as many CPU cores as you want, I've set mine at 4

Storage: Remove the IDE controller and add the AHCI (SATA) controller

Add hard disk and locate the synoboot.vmdk file moved the Machine Folder and add it to the list

Now create and add as many virtual hard disks you want (I created two dynamic volumes at 250GB each for testing and two dynamic volumes at 25GB each for SSD cache. Make sure to tick the virtual SSD drives as solid-state drives)

Network > Adapter 1: Change "Attached to" to Bridged Adapter

Under Advanced, make sure Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop is the adapter type and change the MAC address to the following: 001132123456
USB: Change the USB controller to USB 3.0

• Start the virtual machine and let it boot for a few minutes
  • Proceed to find.synology.com and your Xpenology will show up. You can then connect, agree to the terms and set-up the NAS
  • For installing the DSM, this is where you'll need the DSM .pat file you should of downloaded earlier
  • Let the DSM file install and the Virtual machine will restart after
  • After the restart, that's it. Use find.synology.com again just in case the IP address may of changed after the restart
  • Go through the rest of the set-up process and enjoy your virtual Xpenology NAS!

synoboot.vmdk

Edited by KrimsonAce
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, KrimsonAce said:

Under Advanced, make sure Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop is the adapter type and change the MAC address to the following: 001132123456

the important point here is that the mac of the vm and in the grub.cfg of the loader have to match, if you force the default mac of the loader into the vm you might get into trouble later if you create a 2nd vm and do the same again, having the same mac two or more times can result in a lot of funny problems

the vmdk file can also be found in jun's loader 1.0 to 1.02a2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 9:43 PM, IG-88 said:

the important point here is that the mac of the vm and in the grub.cfg of the loader have to match, if you force the default mac of the loader into the vm you might get into trouble later if you create a 2nd vm and do the same again, having the same mac two or more times can result in a lot of funny problems

the vmdk file can also be found in jun's loader 1.0 to 1.02a2

Using V1.04b for DSM 6.2.1 (current)

I have followed every single step and double checked if the MAC address in my synology.img is the same as in my Network settings however I still cannot find any Synology on my network.

I have tried using a Bridget network adapter, failed

I have tried adding a NAT network adapter, failed

I have tried editing the VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter with an IP address in my private network range, failed

Hopefully someone can help me out here.

Schermafbeelding 2021-03-27 185158.jpg

5 hours ago, Khad said:

Using V1.04b for DSM 6.2.1 (current)

"current" as in recent would be 6.2.4 but thats not working, so the last recent (usable) is 6.2.3 (u3)

as for the loader there it just loader 1.04b for 6.2.0 as the kernel on jun's loader is the one from dsm 6.2.0 (and the drivers in the default extra.lzma are made for 6..2.0)

as of driver incompatibility it should only be 6.2.0 or 6.2.3, using 6.2.1 and 6.2.2 will result in crashing drivers when booting with the kernel from 6.2.1/6.2.2 (not all but most)

if adding a extra.lzma (and extra2.lzma if its 918+) then it needs to be for 6.2.3 as any other version like 6.2.1/6.2.2 will be incompatible)

you should start with the original loaders from here

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7848-links-to-loaders/

no changes to extra.lzma or kernel files, just mod the grub.cfg for the right mac that your vm is using, if you have no other xpenology running (that might already use that mac)  in network you can (to minimize things) just take the loader and enter its mac into your vm (use 7zip to pee into the img file and read the grub.cfg)

if you try 1.04b 918+ you hardware still need to fulfill the requirements for that and thats 4th gen intel (haswell) or above

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

so maybe try 3615/17 and loader 1.03b

you can have serial console working when using vm's

this would be the settings for virtualbox and putty to communicate, start the vm and shortly after that the putty session

with the serial console you would see if the boot process is running

image.png.22f73acd9156fd4b99f3ee488f690467.png

its supposed to look like this, when loading just the loader without a installed system there would also be a good amount of messages about network drivers loading

image.thumb.png.49de982324c3c7864b81ee1f4537c076.png

5 hours ago, IG-88 said:

"current" as in recent would be 6.2.4 but thats not working, so the last recent (usable) is 6.2.3 (u3)

as for the loader there it just loader 1.04b for 6.2.0 as the kernel on jun's loader is the one from dsm 6.2.0 (and the drivers in the default extra.lzma are made for 6..2.0)

as of driver incompatibility it should only be 6.2.0 or 6.2.3, using 6.2.1 and 6.2.2 will result in crashing drivers when booting with the kernel from 6.2.1/6.2.2 (not all but most)

if adding a extra.lzma (and extra2.lzma if its 918+) then it needs to be for 6.2.3 as any other version like 6.2.1/6.2.2 will be incompatible)

no changes to extra.lzma or kernel files, just mod the grub.cfg for the right mac that your vm is using, if you have no other xpenology running (that might already use that mac)  in network you can (to minimize things) just take the loader and enter its mac into your vm (use 7zip to pee into the img file and read the grub.cfg)

if you try 1.04b 918+ you hardware still need to fulfill the requirements for that and thats 4th gen intel (haswell) or above

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

this would be the settings for virtualbox and putty to communicate, start the vm and shortly after that the putty session

its supposed to look like this, when loading just the loader without a installed system there would also be a good amount of messages about network drivers loading

Sorry to be offtopic, but they bricked a bunch of ******* in 6.2.4 - https://www.synology.com/en-us/releaseNote/DSM?model=DS1621%2B#ver_25426-3

I wouldnt use it. My DS1621+ was completely bricked with no access to outside internet.

Had to update to 6.2.4-25556

4 hours ago, test4321 said:

Sorry to be offtopic, but they bricked a bunch of ******* in 6.2.4 - https://www.synology.com/en-us/releaseNote/DSM?model=DS1621%2B#ver_25426-3

I wouldnt use it. My DS1621+ was completely bricked with no access to outside internet.

Had to update to 6.2.4-25556

whats your point? you say 6.2.4 is *** but you had to update your original system to it - btw. thats no option for xpenology users as the current loader is not booting with 6.2.4 anymore (presumably new protection in the same way as in 7.0)

6.2.3 u3 cant be that bad, beside my own system there is a good amount of people having done the u3 update without problems, so i would not issue a warning for u3

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/37652-dsm-623-25426-update-3/

19 hours ago, IG-88 said:

whats your point? you say 6.2.4 is *** but you had to update your original system to it - btw. thats no option for xpenology users as the current loader is not booting with 6.2.4 anymore (presumably new protection in the same way as in 7.0)

6.2.3 u3 cant be that bad, beside my own system there is a good amount of people having done the u3 update without problems, so i would not issue a warning for u3

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/37652-dsm-623-25426-update-3/

Sorry just venting about my own issues I'm having on DS1621+.

On 3/28/2021 at 1:01 AM, IG-88 said:

Thanks for the additional information.

It was helpfull.

Since I have a Intel Core i5 3570 running 1.04b 918+ will not be possible.

So I focussed on getting the DS3615 running on which I am now successful.

Started with DS3615xs_6.02v101

Opened the synoboot.img file with 7z and extracted the grub.cfg so I could obtain the MAC address for my bridged network adapter

Added two disks on the AHCI Sata controller and two disks on a BusLogic SCSI controller, curious which would be detected.

Now managed to find a Synology on my network and installed DSM  6.0.2-8451 on it.

On the Storage Manager only the SCSI disk were found so I shut it down and moved the SATA disks to the SCSI controller, now I could see all disks.

From there I moved on, carefully taking step by step.

I would like to use SHR since I wanted to try that out since I plan to buy a DS920+ and want to start with 3x 10TB adding a fourth later on.

Used https://xpenology.club/enable-shr-in-dsm-6/ to get that to work using Putty and VI editor

Next I wanted to try DS3615xs_6.1v102b which I was also be able to get working after I used "convert the .img file to .vdi (VBoxManage convertfromraw --format VDI "source file path" "target file path" )" so I now had a DS3615xs_6.1v102b.vdi on which I installed DSM 6.1-15047

Carefully making a clone in Virtualbox of a working situation each time I proceded.

Now I am running DS3615xs_6.1v102b with DSM 6.17-15284 Update 3

Might try the 1.04b 918+ later on my laptop since that has a 4th generation I5 CPU

For now I am happy to get it working!

Thanks for the comments

Edited by Khad

3 hours ago, Khad said:

Now I am running DS3615xs_6.1v102b with DSM 6.17-15284 Update 3

if you try loader 1.03b for dsm 6.2 use sata controller (ich9 as chipset) as seen in my screenshot above, i also user 3615/17 as vm that way

3 hours ago, Khad said:

Might try the 1.04b 918+ later on my laptop since that has a 4th generation I5 CPU

there is not much difference beside the hardware transcoding support and support for nvme ssd's (SHR will work ootb but you already figured out how to activate that on 3615/17, there is also something about that in the faq here in the forum)

also 918+ loader has already a default of max 16 disks, 3615/17 loader comes with max. 12 disks but as you plans are based on more recent hdd sizes that will not make a difference for you

On 3/29/2021 at 8:17 PM, IG-88 said:

if you try loader 1.03b for dsm 6.2 use sata controller (ich9 as chipset) as seen in my screenshot above, i also user 3615/17 as vm that way

there is not much difference beside the hardware transcoding support and support for nvme ssd's (SHR will work ootb but you already figured out how to activate that on 3615/17, there is also something about that in the faq here in the forum)

also 918+ loader has already a default of max 16 disks, 3615/17 loader comes with max. 12 disks but as you plans are based on more recent hdd sizes that will not make a difference for you

Now trying loader 1.03b for dsm 6.2 for DS3615 on my i5-5200U now.

Configured as you said. ICH9 as chipset and SATA controller. It does boot from the SATA controller but then the Web Assistant states there are no disks found. So I moved the virtual disks to a SCSI controller and only then it's seeing my virtual disks. Is that to be expected?

Able to run DS3615v103b and DS918v104b from my i5-5200U laptop but can't get DS3617v103b to work there. Not a big deal since I have the DS918v104b running now.

On my i5-3750 PC I cannot get DS3615v103b or DS3617v103b to run. Is that due to my hardware? Although the Tutorials/Reference claims these should run on any x86-64.

Running into the problem that DS918v104b cannot see more then 4 virtual disks on the SATA controller, not even if I change that number in Virtualbox. Moved the virtual disks to the SAS controller but then I cannot install since The Web Assistant gives me the error that the disks cannot be formatted. Now moved the virtual disks to the LSILogic SCSI controller and now DSM gets installed fine. When I open Storage Manager the DS918v104b.vdi (synoboot.img) disk is Drive 1 (on SATA) The next disks are Drive 5, 6, 7, 8 (on LSILogic SCSI). Why is SATA limited to 4 disks when running in Virtualbox? Is it a limitation in the synoboot.img?

6 hours ago, Khad said:

When I open Storage Manager the DS918v104b.vdi (synoboot.img) disk is Drive 1 (on SATA) The next disks are Drive 5, 6, 7, 8 (on LSILogic SCSI).

if the sata is configured to 4 drives then its normal that the following controller (scsi or whatever as long as dsm has a driver) will be 5 and ap, dsm counts the ports, used or not and will place the controller one after another

6 hours ago, Khad said:

Why is SATA limited to 4 disks when running in Virtualbox?

never tested this as i only use it for tests and compiling drivers, according to the documentation virtualbox can have up to 30 sata drives in a vm

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch05.html

and loader 1.04b 918+has a preconfigured max. of 16

in esxi its suggested to have the boot image on the 1st sata controller and data disks (where dsm in installed to) on 2nd or above controller

seem not needed in virtualbox on my system but can't hurt to try it

image.png.9729354a821f21f206d11f90e0ea7b77.png

• Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 7:58 PM, IG-88 said:

if the sata is configured to 4 drives then its normal that the following controller (scsi or whatever as long as dsm has a driver) will be 5 and ap, dsm counts the ports, used or not and will place the controller one after another

never tested this as i only use it for tests and compiling drivers, according to the documentation virtualbox can have up to 30 sata drives in a vm

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch05.html

and loader 1.04b 918+has a preconfigured max. of 16

in esxi its suggested to have the boot image on the 1st sata controller and data disks (where dsm in installed to) on 2nd or above controller

seem not needed in virtualbox on my system but can't hurt to try it

Created another Test Virtual Machine and configured as suggested.

Now it somehow works.

1896551242_SATADrives.thumb.jpg.c1f5fba1e372f568a0fcf1358c630797.jpg

Would it be possible to change my DS918 from SCSI to SATA? Would the VM still operate as expected?

One more thing, perhaps you also have an answer to this

Trying to add an external USB harddisk but can't get it to become visible in DSM.

Do you have any experience with that and if so can you supply me with step-to-step instructions?

2 hours ago, Khad said:

Would it be possible to change my DS918 from SCSI to SATA? Would the VM still operate as expected?

Decided to just try.

Made a Clone of my working DS918 and added a 2nd SATA controller, changed number of ports to 10 and moved the 4 virtual disks over there. Added 2 "hotspare" virtual disks as a test.

Rebooted. No problems at all. All 6 disks are visible.

One more thing, perhaps you also have an answer to this

Trying to add an external USB harddisk but can't get it to become visible in DSM.

Do you have any experience with that and if so can you supply me with step-to-step instructions?

Since I had to reboot I decided to add my USB HDD to it again to test.

The VirtualBox VM pop-upped a message that "failed to create a proxy device for the usb device. (error verr_pdm_no_usb_ports)" Going to Google that now....

37 minutes ago, Khad said:

Since I had to reboot I decided to add my USB HDD to it again to test.

The VirtualBox VM pop-upped a message that "failed to create a proxy device for the usb device. (error verr_pdm_no_usb_ports)" Going to Google that now....

Solution: 🙃

https://ourcodeworld.com/articles/read/1296/how-to-solve-virtualbox-exception-when-attaching-a-usb-device-failed-to-create-a-proxy-device-for-the-usb-device-error-verr-pdm-no-usb-ports