XPEnology Community

Driver Requests for Jun loader DSM 6.0.2 v1.01

NOTE: Because of the way this loader developed the threads have become very long and Inconsistent. There are several developers, driver compilers and howto authors to thank.....I am just trying to help out the users. Yes I am running this loader with DSM 6 on "bare metal" upgraded from DSM 5.2 and no in spite of read hundreds of posts one of my controllers is no longer working.

[spoiler=Background Readme]The DSM 6.0.2 loader is different from those in previous versions (DSM 4x and DSM 5x). It requires some configuration before boot, but is built very transparently.

The loader does not contain all the Drivers from previous boot disks.

There are several versions around....that is because it was possible to easily modify Jun's loader with device drivers for specific machines/motherboards e.g. VMware Virtual Machine or ASROCK motherboard.

Drivers need to be compiled for the Syno Kernel with a specific tool chain (I can't do it) and some need to be patched to work.

In Jun's loader there are some drivers in the standard RamDrive.lzma and more in the Extra.lzma, you may need to adjust your Grub.cfg for your needs (see tutorial threads).

There is also a more ambitious loader (with built in configuration tools) by QuickNick, it is based on Jun's but had tools and drivers added. QuickNick has taken V2.2 offline for the moment as he tracks down some issues. Since that loader has a different Driver.lzma we can use another thread when V2.3 comes online.

I know there is another thread for driver requests...BUT with all the different versions that has become hard to understand.

This is the driver list from the extra.lzma of Jun's V1.01 DSM 6.0.2 Loader (Other versions had different drivers).

You should first search the forum for your specific machine / motherboard / VM, because there maybe a modified loader available for it or specific instructions.

You should determine your NIC(s) and Disk Controller(s) and search for their Linux/Unix driver in Google...then use this list to see if Jun included them.

Please only post driver requests for Jun's V1.01 DSM 6.0.2 Loader in this Thread

If you can 1). point to the manufacture source code for the driver -- 2). Mention if it was working in a previous build of Xpenology

*****DISK Controller****
ahci.ko /		        	|	standard ahci disks
ata_piix.ko	        	|	Intel IDE/PATA

BusLogic.ko		        |	BusLogic SCSI

megaraid.ko		        |	LSI Logic MegaRAID legacy  
megaraid_mbox.ko	      |	LSI Logic MegaRAID Mailbox
megaraid_mm.ko	        	|	LSI Logic Management Module
megaraid_sas.ko	          |	LSI MegaRAID SAS Driver
mpt3sas.ko		        |	LSI Logic MPT 
mptbase.ko        		|	LSI Logic MPT 
mptctl.ko		                |	LSI Logic MPT 
mptsas.ko		                |	LSI Logic MPT 
mptscsih.ko		        |	LSI Logic MPT 
mptspi.ko		                |	LSI Logic MPT 
vmw_pvscsi.ko		        |	VMware PVSCSI 

*****Network Controllers*****

alx.ko			        |	Atheros Communications NIC
atl1.ko			        |	Atheros NIC
atl1c.ko		                |	Atheros NIC
atl1e.ko		                |	Atheros NIC

ax88179_178a.ko		|	USB NIC

bnx2.ko			        |	Broadcom NIC
bnx2x.ko		                |	Broadcom NIC

e1000.ko		                |	Intel NIC
e1000e.ko		                |	Intel NIC
igb.ko			        |	Intel Gig NIC
ixgbe.ko		                |	Intel 10 Gig NIC

ipg.ko			        |	IC Plus Gig NIC 

jme.ko			        |	JMicron NIC

mdio.ko			        |       MDIO NIC

netxen_nic.ko		        |	QLogic/NetXen NIC

pch_gbe.ko		        |	EG20T PCH Gigabit NIC

pcnet32.ko		        |	PCnet32 and PCnetPCI NIC

qla3xxx.ko		        |	QLogic ISP3XXX NIC
qlcnic.ko		                |	QLogic 1/10 GbE NIC
qlge.ko			        |	QLogic 10 Gigabit NIC

r8101.ko		                |	Realtek NIC
r8168.ko		                |	Realtek NIC
r8169.ko		                |	Realtek NIC

sfc.ko			        |	Solarflare NIC
skge.ko			        |	SysKonnect Gigabit NIC
sky2.ko			        |	Marvell Yukon 2 Gig NIC
tg3.ko			        |	Broadcom Tigon3 NIC

vmxnet3.ko		        |	VMware vmxnet3 virtual NIC

cheers to the developers / compilers / and howto authors

My actual request:

I have Silicon Image chips on a Asrock motherboard (2 ports), PCI card 3114 and PCI card 3125. Not all used at the same time.

Needed for Intel processors.

All worked with nanoboot / xpenoboot and DSM 5.2

Driver needed is "sata_sil" -- Silicon Images Chip set

A simple Labata driver, source found here: https://searchcode.com/codesearch/view/2837375/

rd

It doesn't matter what version of the loader you are running. What matters is the OS for which you are compiling the drivers for. In this case for DSM 6. That's the only requirement. The loader is not part of the mix nor it is required for the drivers to be compatible with the host OS.

This being out of the way, will you be the one compiling the requested drivers? If so, then great initiative. If not (which I understood is the case) then this is as useless as it gets. Jun is clearly not interested in getting involved any further with XPEnology or at least with compiling extra drivers. On that he was very clear. As for Trantor and Arcao they have been quite inactive on that front for some time. Quicknick you say? Well he also doesn't seem very pro-active in fixing v2.2 and releasing v2.3. As for me, well my hands are already full with the 2 tutorials I made answering to people who just can't seem to be able to read.

So unless someone else with some coding background decides to spare some of his daily/weekly time to read this thread and then compile drivers for the community I think this is just a dead end and to top this off the thread is misleading since drivers depends on the OS and not on the loader's version. There was already another thread on the matter. See where it got.

I do understand you did this with a good intention, but at least I would recommend you editing the title of the thread and what you said in the OP since failing to do so will create even more confusion than there already is.

Edited by Guest

OK....

We are moving from readily available XpenoBoot working with DSM 5.2 to Jun's Loader (v1.01) working with DSM 6.0 and have lost a lot of hardware support in the process. That is because many Kernel Modules were not recompiled and included in the loader and not because they are incompatible.

I have been compiling Kernel Modules (drivers) for Xpenology since we moved from GnoBoot and DSM 4.3 to NanoBoot and DSM 5.0 --- we lost a lot of hardware support at that time as well.

Trantor's thread (who has been most generous with his time and effort on this project for a really long time) is old and confusing since it covers multiple loaders and DSM versions...

These posts with hundreds of pages are just not going to be read completely.

Thank you Polanskiman for letting me know that my thinking has been wrong for all these years.

@ Polanskiman , it not 100% true.

I plugin the Jun Loader in my laptop, than I need to find it in my LAN, but it will not find because the lan driver is not in jun loader.

I did it on an other machine, and it works, so I unplug the harddrive and put it in de laptop where the jun loader did not find the lan.

Now it boots up DSM 6.0 normal and the LAN network is working normal.

The only problem is and I believe with the most off the forum users is that the Jun loader does not have all local LAN card drivers and that is why the users cannot install there DSM 6.0

When there was more lan drivers in jun loader than the problem was solver for 80% of the forum users.

OK....

We are moving from readily available XpenoBoot working with DSM 5.2 to Jun's Loader (v1.01) working with DSM 6.0 and have lost a lot of hardware support in the process. That is because many Kernel Modules were not recompiled and included in the loader and not because they are incompatible.

I have been compiling Kernel Modules (drivers) for Xpenology since we moved from GnoBoot and DSM 4.3 to NanoBoot and DSM 5.0 --- we lost a lot of hardware support at that time as well.

Trantor's thread (who has been most generous with his time and effort on this project for a really long time) is old and confusing since it covers multiple loaders and DSM versions...

These posts with hundreds of pages are just not going to be read completely.

Thank you Polanskiman for letting me know that my thinking has been wrong for all these years.

Modules are not compatible from one version of DSM to the other, thus they need to be recompiled for DSM 6. Not sure what is wrong in what I said. I say this because many people think that using compiled modules for DSM 5.2 can be used in DSM 6. That's just plain wrong. The loader has nothing to do with the above. The loader simply offers a plateform to launch DSM and compiled drivers. It is nothing more than a slave to the OS.

If you have been compiling drivers for many years maybe you could offer your know-how to the community. I am sure people would be greatful since Jun's loader mainly contains default DSM modules and only a few others compiled by Trantor and Arcao. So yes Jun's loader desperatly needs some modules so that a broader range of hardware can be used with DSM 6.

As far as I am aware Trantor's driver's request thread is specifically aimed at DSM 5.

Don't get me wrong. If you are willing to contribute then it's most welcomed but if the point is to created yet another empty shell/thread, with the hopes that some dev might use it to compile drivers I think it just wont go anywhere. A dev willing to compile drivers will simply create his own thread from which he can control the OP.

Edited by Guest

@ Polanskiman , it not 100% true.

I plugin the Jun Loader in my laptop, than I need to find it in my LAN, but it will not find because the lan driver is not in jun loader.

I did it on an other machine, and it works, so I unplug the harddrive and put it in de laptop where the jun loader did not find the lan.

Now it boots up DSM 6.0 normal and the LAN network is working normal.

The only problem is and I believe with the most off the forum users is that the Jun loader does not have all local LAN card drivers and that is why the users cannot install there DSM 6.0

When there was more lan drivers in jun loader than the problem was solver for 80% of the forum users.

Not sure what's not true. Maybe have a re-read at what I said.