XPEnology Community

raid 6 recovery issues

arden

Question

Hi,

So, I have a raid 6 volume with 16 drives, it was 15, but I recently did an extend volume and added 1 more (15), but while doing the extend, a few drives reported issues(16,18). 2 of which showed as "crashed", the guidance was to remove them, "Deactivate" and then to re-add them, then reboot for automatic rebuild, so I did this but they are now just showing as “not initialized” and I can’t seem to readd them until the volume is repaired, while all this was happening, the volume was still trying to expand with adding the disk (15), then the disk I was adding (15) and another disk (17) "crashed".

I can’t add disks as hot spare until the volume is back up and running, but the system keeps reporting the disks as "crashed" after reboots, I've taken the disks out and done full sector scans on them on another system, and they are showing as fine!

I really don’t understand what is happening or why. I tried adding a new drive, but it just shows as “not initialized” and can’t add it to the volume in place of drive 15/17

The volume is currently in read only mode, I can see the data, but when I I try to back it up, its going soooo slow (few meg at most, somtimes KB's).

Looking for options to getting the volume fixed, thanks!

hd.png

hd2.png

hd3.png

3 answers to this question

On 3/8/2023 at 4:46 AM, arden said:

Hi,

So, I have a raid 6 volume with 16 drives, it was 15, but I recently did an extend volume and added 1 more (15), but while doing the extend, a few drives reported issues(16,18). 2 of which showed as "crashed", the guidance was to remove them, "Deactivate" and then to re-add them, then reboot for automatic rebuild, so I did this but they are now just showing as “not initialized” and I can’t seem to readd them until the volume is repaired, while all this was happening, the volume was still trying to expand with adding the disk (15), then the disk I was adding (15) and another disk (17) "crashed".

I can’t add disks as hot spare until the volume is back up and running, but the system keeps reporting the disks as "crashed" after reboots, I've taken the disks out and done full sector scans on them on another system, and they are showing as fine!

I really don’t understand what is happening or why. I tried adding a new drive, but it just shows as “not initialized” and can’t add it to the volume in place of drive 15/17

The volume is currently in read only mode, I can see the data, but when I I try to back it up, its going soooo slow (few meg at most, somtimes KB's).

Looking for options to getting the volume fixed, thanks!

hd.png

hd2.png

hd3.png

Hey, were you able to fix this issue?

Hey, not yet, still working on it. More drives showed as crashed even though the raid was in read only mode. I'm beginning to think its a software raid issue and not hardware one as the drives are fine on windows systems after full sector scans, smart info on the drives too shows as fine.

I've been cloning the drives to other drives and trying them but after a memory test that took the best part of a day (64GB), which passed, the volume has crashed and disappeared from the storage manager and ‘/proc/mdstat’ and all drives are now showing as Detected.

I've been able to recreate the array via commands like 'mdadm --assemble --scan --verbose' but upon a reboot, it always disappears again and never shows up as a volume in storage manager.

I'm looking to get a few 18TB drives in order to back this up as I'm running out of 4TB drives atm, already cloned 7 so far (not tried since last cloning due to wanted to have 18TB drives to back it up) , but not got the funds right now, so the system is sitting and waiting while I've been playing about with a similar setup in virtualbox trying to simulate the conditions and recover a raid in a similar state, all of which has currently failed, the array can be re-created or assembled, but I can’t mount it again in DSM/storage manager.

It's still a learning curve, but not gotten much help with regards to things to try, may look to other forums more suited for raid issues as I only posted here in case there were some specific synology commands I could try/use to fix the issue.

If I get it back up and running, I’ll post here as to what I did and why.

Edited by arden

I'm having a similar issue. A bunch of my HDDs started showing only as "detected". Try the following in this link. I was able to get my drives back online (healthy/normal) but it looks like rebuild of storage pool with all drives needs to be done before restarting because, a reboot devolves to drives only showing as detected. Maybe you can trying this and replace the problem drives with clones and attempt another rebuild/repair. I just got a standalone duplicator in order to try the same thing.

What loader are you using?

Edited by trublu