XPEnology Community

DSM 6: How do I make the PC speaker work?

Gex

Question

Hi guys,

much to my surprise the search function returned virtually no results for keywords like "speaker" or "beep".

I would like to either use the built-in "Beep Control" functionality in the task scheduler or any other command line utility (like http://www.johnath.com/beep/) to make the PC speaker beep e.g. on system shutdown or disk failure.

The "Beep Control" feature doesn't work at all, no beep to be heard at the scheduled time. I then grabbed the beep binary (x86_64) from the debian package repository but it didn't work either (without any error message though).

I am running a bare metal installation of DSM 6 on an ASRock J3455.

Do I need a driver? Or do you have any other hints?

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Hi, i would buy your same ASRock MB J3455, is working in all its function with dms6?

Hi guys,

much to my surprise the search function returned virtually no results for keywords like "speaker" or "beep".

I would like to either use the built-in "Beep Control" functionality in the task scheduler or any other command line utility (like http://www.johnath.com/beep/) to make the PC speaker beep e.g. on system shutdown or disk failure.

The "Beep Control" feature doesn't work at all, no beep to be heard at the scheduled time. I then grabbed the beep binary (x86_64) from the debian package repository but it didn't work either (without any error message though).

I am running a bare metal installation of DSM 6 on an ASRock J3455.

Do I need a driver? Or do you have any other hints?

Thanks!

J3455 mainboard does not have built-in beep speaker actually.

You may buy a beep speaker and connect it to your main board.

Please refer this link :

https://apurbthegeek.wordpress.com/2012 ... d-speaker/

Hi, thanks for pointing that out, I actually have a speaker built into my case and connected to the speaker pins on the Mainboard :wink:

@tamamma: I have experienced some rather weird networking issues with the onboard Realtek chipset. Using an Intel PCIe NIC, everything works fine (bare metal).

On 14.2.2017 at 8:56 PM, Gex said:

Hi, thanks for pointing that out, I actually have a speaker built into my case and connected to the speaker pins on the Mainboard :wink:

@tamamma: I have experienced some rather weird networking issues with the onboard Realtek chipset. Using an Intel PCIe NIC, everything works fine (bare metal).

I got the same board asrock j3455-itx 

I have no issues with onboard nic

The Performance is great!

What are your issues gex?