XPEnology Community

Bad sector on HDD

sandisxxx

Question

Hello Community.

I am running a DS3615xs version 6.2.3 25426 on a HP Microserver Gen8 bare metal.

I have 3 HDDs which are configured as standalone pools each.

Menaing I have 3 pools that each utilize each disk alone.

On Storage Pool 3 there is one bad sector on the corresponding disk.

Seems that the volume is read only now, but data seems intact.

I am now copying the data from the disk.

All my packages are installed on a different pool.

Have some concerns though:

1. The docker storage is located on the crashed pool and I cannot move it, since the pool is read only

how to safely export the docker container I have there in order the system crashes or I installa new disk?

2. I do not know where the OS is located, I have tried to check that via SSH, but no clue. What happens if I remove the disk and it is the one that contains the system partition?

Will xpenology even boot?

I'd appreciate any good advice.

Ideally to check where my OS is installed first. Then somehow override the Read only lock so I can move my Docker storage to other volume.

Or perhaps I can take the disk out, clone it to a different disk and put it back?

Or perhaps unmount the sdx device and rune e2fsck on it ?

Edited by sandisxxx

4 answers to this question

I can't say with 100% certainty,

I've had the following experience.

There is a WD 2TB hard disk that the DSM6 Jun's loader says that bad sectors have been found.

However, after remounting on the DSM7 REDPILL, S.M.A.R.T reports that this bad sector is not present.

I don't know which of the two loaders to trust, but it's currently running without problems in REDPILL.

Well, I am not about to migrate to Tinycire/Redpill/DSM7 just now.

I am now seriously thinking of gettin 4 3TB WD Reds, + putting a 500GB SSD into the box for the ESXi OS and creating a RAID volume from all 4 HDDs and go full virtual.

Or perhaps passthrough the HDDs directly to the DSM7 VM and make a Synology RAID on those.

In that case I could just replace one failing disk with eventually no worries.

While performing regular backups of the DSM7 config, I should be pretty much covered.

So far, the system works just fine, the shares work OK, I can write to them, nothing seems to be down.

But eventually, it will break and get even worse, but at that time, I should have my HDDs ready and can migrate to VM and DSM7.

Hi. You should have the option to make the storage pool read/write, but I think something more serious than one bad block had happened. Each disk has one system partition and one swap partition and they are mirrored across all drives, meaning DSM will start with at least one drive. You could try to clone the disk and then e2fsck it.