XPEnology Community

DVA3221 7.1.1-42962 Tinycore Redpill TCRP on bare metal - Cannot find device with synology assistant

bigmonkey70

Question

Hi, I need a little help with the network card on a bare metal

I am trying to build up a DVA3221 7.1.1-42962... Burn image, did all the commands

./rploader.sh update

./rploader.sh fullupgrade

./rploader.sh identifyusb

./rploader.sh serialgen DVA3221 (realmac if want real MAC from server)

./rploader.sh satamap

lspci -nnq show 

03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller [1969     :e0a1] (rev 10)
6f:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Limited NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express      [14e4:1677] (rev 01)

./rploader.sh listmods dva3221-7.1.1-42962 show that it did added the alx and tg3 extension

Found matching extension :
"https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/master/alx/rpext-index.json"
Found matching extension :
"https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/master/tg3/rpext-index.json"

./rploader.sh build dva3221-7.1.1-42962

sudo reboot ....

Booted up OK  but when trying to find the device with synology assistant and finds.synology.com ... can't find the device.

Did I miss anything?

Thanks

Edited by bigmonkey70

12 answers to this question

3 hours ago, rojoone2 said:

What hardware are you using? Motherboard and CPU?

I am currently using a DELL XPS 8930 with an intel I7 9700 and 8GB of RAM.  I know DVA3221 required at least Haswell CPU.  Thanks.  All build went though no problem and boot up normally but just can't find the machine with synology assistant or finds.synology.com.

Edited by bigmonkey70

On 1/24/2023 at 10:33 PM, bigmonkey70 said:

I am currently using a DELL XPS 8930 with an intel I7 9700 and 8GB of RAM.  I know DVA3221 required at least Haswell CPU.  Thanks.  All build went though no problem and boot up normally but just can't find the machine with synology assistant or finds.synology.com.

Your two nics are correctly identified as below in modules.alias.4.json , module auto-mapping environment file of TCRP.

{
    "name": "alx",
    "alias": "pci:v00001969d0000E0A1sv*sd*bc*sc*i*"
},
{
    "name": "tg3",
    "alias": "pci:v000014E4d00001677sv*sd*bc*sc*i*"
},

I recommend that you try TCRP FRIEND.

TCRP FRIEND shows the assigned IP on the loader boot screen.

Please try pinging the IP shown on the screen instead of find.synology.com first.

In the build action, add more withfriend options as shown below.

./rploader.sh build dva3221-7.1.1-42962 withfriend

Edited by Peter Suh

I spoke too soon ... after a reboot, can't find device anymore. I reinstalled DVA3221 latest build withy Tcrp withfriend option.  After reboot and it first show the ip address, then light on nic card went out and can't ping the IP anymore.  Can't find device with synology assistant.

Edited by bigmonkey70

On 2/2/2023 at 8:33 PM, Peter Suh said:

Did you modify netif_num from 1 to 2?

And, Synology Assistant is very unreliable to scan IPs.

First, enter port 5000 with the IP displayed in TCRP FRIEND.

If this IP doesn't work either,

Check your router or use a separate IP scanner program.

I now manage to get the network card working and IP displayed in TCRP FRIEND and is pingable.  But still can't find it in Synology Assistant.  Browse to that IP:5000 throw "This site can't be reach"  and ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSE.

8 hours ago, bigmonkey70 said:

I now manage to get the network card working and IP displayed in TCRP FRIEND and is pingable.  But still can't find it in Synology Assistant.  Browse to that IP:5000 throw "This site can't be reach"  and ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSE.

First check if the 2 LEDs on the back of your NIC port are blinking.
If this is the problem, the DHCP server is not assigning an IP.
And the IP shown on the TCRP FRIEND screen is sometimes not correct.
DHCP may also assign a new IP again.
Checking the IP directly on an IP scanner program or router is correct.

56 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

First check if the 2 LEDs on the back of your NIC port are blinking.
If this is the problem, the DHCP server is not assigning an IP.
And the IP shown on the TCRP FRIEND screen is sometimes not correct.
DHCP may also assign a new IP again.
Checking the IP directly on an IP scanner program or router is correct.

Thanks Peter,

Yes the light is blinking and I matched the MAC to the IP from the router and it's correct as displayed from TCRP FRIENDS.  I also test unplug the cable and it stopped pinging.

One thing I did was format a spare drive and is abled to get in to install DSM.  But then once DSM installation is done, it just won't reboot.  I left it there for like an hour.  Then I hard reboot then the same thing happen.  Synology Assistant can detect it with Migratable but when i browse to IP:5000 and same Site can't be reach.  So basically, I can get to the dashboard only when there is a blank drive exist.  Any drive with DSM installed, just give me  site can't be reached.

• Confused 1

Hi Lads

Have similar issue.

Have dell optiplex 3040 and 7020

Tried many builds, like DS918+, DS920, DS3621, DVA1621 and all they works perfect, used redpill and arpl.

Issues only with DVA3221, had Quadro P1000, not starting and stucking at booting after ip displayed, same with P2000.

Decided to buy GTX 1650, bought low profile ASUS GTX 1650 4GB DDR5, still have same issue, stopping boot after Ip displayed.

Any advice, or solution?

Same issue here. Tried both DVA3221 on ESXi 8.x and baremetal (MSI Nightblade X2B i7 6th generation, Nvidia GTX 1070 and Killer E2400 Gigabit LAN).

(I got it working once on ESXi, but had to increase disk space and could never get it working thereafter because of corrupt pat file at 55% progress).

I get an IP address when booting TCRP Friend, but it doesn't respond on that IP address when connecting with ip:5000 and it's never found in finds.synology.com.

Tried both realmac and random mac.

I would very much like to run face recognition etc on my cameras using Synology Surveillance Station.

How can this be resolved? Can someone please look into network setup/drivers?

Edited by Dingo