XPEnology Community

DSM Install Ryzen 3200G

NelNAS

Has anyone else had challenges getting a successful DSM install on the Ryzen Platform?  I have tried the TCRP install and the ARPL install but unfortunately I have been unable to successfully boot.  Ryzen 3200G, MSI Mortar Motherboard with Realtek 8125B (2.5 GB network adapter). The M.2 slots cannot be disable via BIOS but no NVME drives are included.  I have tried to install with the onboard NIC and a USB R8125 NIC to no avail (tried 3617, 3622xs, 918, 920).  I'd love to know if virtualization is my only option or if a bare-metal install on Ryzen is feasible (I'm just doing something wrong).  

Thus far, I have been able to successfully build the DSM USB disk... but whenever I try to boot, the entire computer hangs during the boot process.  When booting in 'legacy' mode, the cursor blinks as the tutorial suggests, however it appears the NIC is not operational as boots complete.  Apologies if my issue appears to be very simple, I can't seem to solve the mystery of why I can't install.  Thanks in advance for your help! Happy building!!

28 minutes ago, NelNAS said:

Has anyone else had challenges getting a successful DSM install on the Ryzen Platform?  I have tried the TCRP install and the ARPL install but unfortunately I have been unable to successfully boot.  Ryzen 3200G, MSI Mortar Motherboard with Realtek 8125B (2.5 GB network adapter). The M.2 slots cannot be disable via BIOS but no NVME drives are included.  I have tried to install with the onboard NIC and a USB R8125 NIC to no avail (tried 3617, 3622xs, 918, 920).  I'd love to know if virtualization is my only option or if a bare-metal install on Ryzen is feasible (I'm just doing something wrong).  

Thus far, I have been able to successfully build the DSM USB disk... but whenever I try to boot, the entire computer hangs during the boot process.  When booting in 'legacy' mode, the cursor blinks as the tutorial suggests, however it appears the NIC is not operational as boots complete.  Apologies if my issue appears to be very simple, I can't seem to solve the mystery of why I can't install.  Thanks in advance for your help! Happy building!!

Hi, it looks that @fbelavenuto added the console addon that tries will provide a graphical console at DSM boot and can assist on troubleshooting systems with no serial console and no lan connectivity. Can you try adding console addon on your build, login with root upon DSM boot and run 

# ip a 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 6:38 AM, Peter Suh said:

Have you tried TCRP FRIEND with the latest version of TCRP, 0.9.4.0?

The models that TCRP FRIEND operates without problems in AMD RYZEN are about DS923+, DS1621+ and DS2422+.

If you want to operate other models, try with JOT, not TCRP FRIEND.

I could not find it anywhere, but what is the technical issue with the DS3615xs+ model on TCRP/FRIEND/JOT?   Thanks

1 hour ago, gericb said:

I could not find it anywhere, but what is the technical issue with the DS3615xs+ model on TCRP/FRIEND/JOT?   Thanks

@pocopico may be able to answer the technical question in TCRP of the DS3615xs model.
In the final version of TCRP, I reported to pocopico that the current DS3615xs is experiencing KP.
I expect it to be the instability of the redpill.ko module, which is a core module, but I'm not sure of the details.

Incidentally, DS3615xs has been announced by Synology as a model that will be discontinued from DSM 7.2.
DS3622xs+ is a replacement for the DS3615xs.
Migration from DS3615xs to DS3622xs+ is well worth it.
It seems there is no need to insist on the DS3615xs any longer.
What do you think?

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

@pocopico may be able to answer the technical question in TCRP of the DS3615xs model.
In the final version of TCRP, I reported to pocopico that the current DS3615xs is experiencing KP.
I expect it to be the instability of the redpill.ko module, which is a core module, but I'm not sure of the details.

Incidentally, DS3615xs has been announced by Synology as a model that will be discontinued from DSM 7.2.
DS3622xs+ is a replacement for the DS3615xs.
Migration from DS3615xs to DS3622xs+ is well worth it.
It seems there is no need to insist on the DS3615xs any longer.
What do you think?

Thank you Peter for the info, most appreciated.  I was actually just wanting to upgrade it from the 6.2.3-25426 U3 to the DSM 7.x with actually the intent to EOL the box.  I have a newer, better system, the I am hoping to go forward with.  In actually, I do not need to numerous drive support of the DS36xx models, I would actually like to convert to the DS920+ in my future build, assumed it would be easier going from 7.x to 7.x and changing models too, which I assume is possible.  I'm still debating BTRFS vs EXT4, but figure on the new platform, might as well go for the new FS as well, since I am not going to be running SS.  

Do you think I should upgrade from DS3615xs (6.2.3) to DS3622xs+ (7.0.1) then to DS920+?  I'm largely using it for Plex (wanting the transcoding) and then general storage, cloud/remote access possible later.

Any thoughts are always appreciated!

Edited by gericb
Additional thoughts...

5 hours ago, gericb said:

Thank you Peter for the info, most appreciated.  I was actually just wanting to upgrade it from the 6.2.3-25426 U3 to the DSM 7.x with actually the intent to EOL the box.  I have a newer, better system, the I am hoping to go forward with.  In actually, I do not need to numerous drive support of the DS36xx models, I would actually like to convert to the DS920+ in my future build, assumed it would be easier going from 7.x to 7.x and changing models too, which I assume is possible.  I'm still debating BTRFS vs EXT4, but figure on the new platform, might as well go for the new FS as well, since I am not going to be running SS.  

Do you think I should upgrade from DS3615xs (6.2.3) to DS3622xs+ (7.0.1) then to DS920+?  I'm largely using it for Plex (wanting the transcoding) and then general storage, cloud/remote access possible later.

Any thoughts are always appreciated!

Migration between models (platforms) in redpill is more flexible.
You can choose to move between different models whenever you want.
You do not have to go through the intermediate steps of DSM 7.0.1.

However, you just need to be familiar with the precautions by distinguishing Device-Tree based and None Device-Tree based platforms.
I explained this difference to another user a little while ago, but you can refer to it here.

And, my M SHELL for TCRP FRIEND is a little different from ARPL, and compared to pocopico's original TCRP,

if you understand that a few more convenient functions

(integrated driver pack application, NVMe cache automatic recognition, power reservation start processing, CPUINFO FIX, etc.) have been added I hope

On 1/25/2023 at 9:37 PM, Peter Suh said:

Migration between models (platforms) in redpill is more flexible.
You can choose to move between different models whenever you want.
You do not have to go through the intermediate steps of DSM 7.0.1.

However, you just need to be familiar with the precautions by distinguishing Device-Tree based and None Device-Tree based platforms.
I explained this difference to another user a little while ago, but you can refer to it here.

And, my M SHELL for TCRP FRIEND is a little different from ARPL, and compared to pocopico's original TCRP,

if you understand that a few more convenient functions

(integrated driver pack application, NVMe cache automatic recognition, power reservation start processing, CPUINFO FIX, etc.) have been added I hope

Thanks Thanks Peter!  As a matter of fact, I have enjoyed trying your M SHELL for TCRP FRIEND in addition to ARPL.  I'm an IT consultant, but long ago removed from the coding/unix management, so even sadly rusty on the various command line cmd options, and don't really want to get back into it again.   I have not done any manual M-Shell command line options, just using it as is and assuming it's all going to work in the end.  I will say, visually it's very busy compared to ARPL, for some, I could imagine intimidating even, but a true coders presentation. 😎  The true nuances and capabilities, I am sure to still be largely clueless on and hence my noob-ish questions. (Not tons of time to read all of the forum threads and selectively digest)

In my usage, it seems to take longer to go through the whole configuration and building process and ultimately booting the loader than ARPL, but I'm sure you have a lot of checks, double-checks and mitigations going on in the background.

"You do not have to go through the intermediate steps of DSM 7.0.1." this was music to my ears!  Given that the Synology Support Downloads was indicating if you are on DSMx and you want to be on DSMz, you needed those intermediate version, I didn't think I could upgrade straight away from 6.2.3 to 7.1.1 was possible, but this will make life easier.  I have been working with a crash and burn machine, trying the different loaders and DSM hardware platforms, and happy to see it's all been pretty smooth and overall effortless.  This is one aspect of my tech life, I just want it to be stable, reliable and not turn into a big headache... and you ALL have really truly created these environments beyond expectations!

Nice to see you are enjoy OCLP too! 🤠

• Like 1