XPEnology Community

REAL SN and MAC ADRESS after TCRP success

Hello

I followed the tutorials to install 918+ with TCRP 0.9. Everything whent fine after many attempts and I didn'"t understand why it was not going to the end.  Finally, I had to disconnect the network during installation and that solved the problem. So I guess the SN and/or network card used was the real problem. 

That is, I used default settings with RPLOADER and so, I wonder about using genuine SN and MAC adress. Let me explain : 

- I'm the owner of a dead 918+. But I know the SN and mac adress. 

My question is : 

- as I do not want to setup everything again, is there a way to change SN and MAC with genuine ones without reinstall everything ? 

I mean , is this easy to do ? Will I lose things ? 

Sorry if this question has been asked before but I searched the forum without success. 

Things to know : 

- My supermicro motherboard owns 2 NIC.

- My ASUS C100 is well recognized and has now a mac adress from Synology (run fine) : used to transfer file over network without gateway.

- the onboard 1gb NIC has his own real mac and is the gateway of the system. (so i think that was the problem)

So, 

MAC1 C100 : synology MAC (but not used)

MAC2 1gb : supermicro MAC (used)

MAC3 ???  1gb : not recognized ( I wonder why...?)

Well, sorry for my english. I hope i'm clear enough. 

Thank you thousand times for your help and answer. 

Hi and thank you for your help

Board : SuperMicro X11SCH-F

CPU : i3-8400

It's not really a problem as I will not use the second 1gb NIC. 

The real problem is that I would like to use my own SN  and MAC from my dead 918+ without installing the system again...

Don't know possible or not...

TY Mate

EDIT : I red a couple of threads but not really matching my problem

Edited by muld626
forum help

With ARPL, when you change a value while on configuration menu (like SN and MAC)

You don't loose everything.

I did not try TRCP recently, but I guess it should be the same...

If you are running with a USB key, you could open it on another computer and search for the configuration file in it and replace the value without rebuilding everything.

But when you rebuild a loader, you don't loose anything as long as you apply things correcty.

If you rebuild it exactly the same, but with new SN/MAC you won't notice anything at restart except new DHCP IP as you replaced the MAC address.

at start, just go back to build/configuration menu instead of DSM boot, change SN/MAC, rebuild, and restart...

Edited by Orphée
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

Since this has already been answered, I will elaborate a bit more.

You can mount a USB stick into Windows 10, assuming it's bare metal and not a VM.

Then edit the first partition's /boot/grub/grub.cfg file and correct MAC1, MAC2 and SN.

For everything to be really clear : 

- afeter editing the grub.cfg, no need to rebuild ? That would be awesome  as I was thinking the PN and MAC are adressed in the final build itself !

1 minute ago, Peter Suh said:

You can mount a USB stick into Windows 10, assuming it's bare metal and not a VM.

Then edit the first partition's /boot/grub/grub.cfg file and correct MAC1, MAC2 and SN.

If he do so, at least with ARPL as it is stored in a json file, this change made in grub.cfg won't be saved if he boots on ARPL loader config to review configuration or to update it.

Not a big deal but just a reminder that anything he changes in flat files from USB grub config will be lost if he rebuild/update loader from TCRP/ARPL configuration page.

Best practice would be to update the value inside TCRP / ARPL boot configuration menu and then rebuild.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

And, this method does not apply to TCRP FRIEND.

TCRP FRIEND has no choice but to rebuild the loader

The loader build shouldn't be an issue though.

Rebuilding the loader is easier.

• Like 1

First, thank you for your help. 

Well, i've edited the grub.cfg but no way to find any ip adress whatever the NIC I used. I can ''feel'' that DSM is booting (fans are getting quiet once the system is up and HD light are on then off, just like normal)

Then I started from scratched. I rebuild the kernel with previously editing the user_config and change SYNO MAC and SN with my MAC and SN. 

I add the mac2=...... line also => no way to boot

Then I made a complete rebuild starting again from scratch with default TCRP settings => Boot. DSM didn't even ask for update or install or anything. System was (and is still) perfectly running like a normal reboot. 

Supermicro onboard NIC 1 : Supermicro MAC

Supermicro onboard NIC 2 : no show on DSM system, no show in TCRP

ASUS G100C 10gb : SYNO MAC (set with ./rploader.sh serialgen)

There is something i'm doing wrong but I don't know what. I'm sure the ASUS NIC (loading drivers from github when the build is launched) is the key but I'm not pro enough to change this behaviour. 

If you have any idea.... 

Thank you for reading

19 hours ago, muld626 said:

First, thank you for your help. 

Well, i've edited the grub.cfg but no way to find any ip adress whatever the NIC I used. I can ''feel'' that DSM is booting (fans are getting quiet once the system is up and HD light are on then off, just like normal)

Then I started from scratched. I rebuild the kernel with previously editing the user_config and change SYNO MAC and SN with my MAC and SN. 

I add the mac2=...... line also => no way to boot

Then I made a complete rebuild starting again from scratch with default TCRP settings => Boot. DSM didn't even ask for update or install or anything. System was (and is still) perfectly running like a normal reboot. 

Supermicro onboard NIC 1 : Supermicro MAC

Supermicro onboard NIC 2 : no show on DSM system, no show in TCRP

ASUS G100C 10gb : SYNO MAC (set with ./rploader.sh serialgen)

There is something i'm doing wrong but I don't know what. I'm sure the ASUS NIC (loading drivers from github when the build is launched) is the key but I'm not pro enough to change this behaviour. 

If you have any idea.... 

Thank you for reading

I wonder if....

Is there a way to load Aquentia drivers before build ?

I mean load all NIC drivers before TCRP read the user_config. Maybe it's the key to attribute MAC1 and MAC2 to all NIC ? 

Hello @Peter Suh

Hope you will have a look at this , thank you in advance. I'm really stuck without understanding what's going wrong

Previous 6.2 JUN'S setup was running fine with same materials, same cpu, ram and disks. 

1151 Supermicro XSCH with 8 onboard sata 

i3-8300

16Go ECC

I started again from scratch. 

used TCRP 0.9 from  https://github.com/pocopico/tinycore-redpill

update

fullupgrade

identifyusb

serialgen DS918+

satamap

edit user_config.json

change generated SN with my SN

change generated MAC1 with my MAC

add line MAC2=001132xxxxxx (*)

build ds918p-7.1.1-42962 => I can see that the Aquantia driver is found and add to the build

==> After reboot, menu appears. I choose first choice (USB VERBOSE) . Then the system boot but no way to find DSM. DSFinder does not find anything. I can see that a DHCP IP adress is suddenly seen by the router but disappears after 3 seconds after the kernel is up and running. DSM does not load neither (no flashing lights on hard drive after loading kernel)

(*) If I DO NOT add MAC2, systems boot up and DSM 7.1 run fine with MAC1 attribute to ASUS10gb additionnal NIC, onboard MAC card is REAL,  I can use both.

But I loose MY genuine Synology MAC on onboard NIC.

As my 918+ SN works fine now, my goal is to find a way to give my 2 Synology MAC to both onboard and additionnal NIC.

Hope I'm clear enough, sorry for my english.

Any help would be really awesome, as i've red all the threads related to MAC but didn't find anything looking same as my problem. 

Edited by muld626

• 4 months later...