XPEnology Community

End-of-Availability notice for legacy DSM, Surveillance Station, Video Station, Audio Station, and SRM

AllGamer

Got this email from the syno guys yesterday.

--- email starts ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From 1 May 2023, will no longer provide access to installation files for certain older versions of DiskStation Manager (DSM), packages, firmware, clients, and Router Manager (SRM) due to changes in licensing agreements.

This change may affect owners of older systems and legacy (EOL) systems.

This includes:

Devices that have not yet been set up.

Devices that require re-installation.

Devices that have yet to be updated to the latest available software.

Note: This does not affect devices that are still in service.

The software versions listed below will be removed from our website and from distribution from 1 May 2023.

Affected products include

NAS/SAN (DSM)

6.2.3 and below

Video Station

3.0.2 and below

Audio Station

7.0.0 and below

Media Server

1.4 and below

Surveillance

8.2.8 and below

Networking (SRM)

Version 1.1 - 1.1.7 and 1.2 - 1.2.5

Recommendations

We recommend you upgrade your device(s) to the latest DSM and package versions available.

For devices that cannot be upgraded to DSM 6.2, we recommend keeping a copy of your device's installation files and packages in case re-installation is required in the future.

--- email ends ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of us that still likes to play around with DSM 6.2 make sure to download all the files you need before they are removed from syno servers.

We all know that DSM version 7 and above are becoming increasingly more restricted.

Reading between the lines, to me it sounds like the syno guys are planning to lock down their DSM environment, and go to dedicated hardware as it was speculated before in forums / videos.

• Sad 2

On 1/17/2023 at 6:30 PM, AllGamer said:

Reading between the lines, to me it sounds like the syno guys are planning to lock down their DSM environment, and go to dedicated hardware as it was speculated before in forums / videos.

they already are at dedicated hardware and have build in limits into the kernels they release for models

the thing they could do would be to rely on TPM's and secure boot with there own certs in the future but afaik we have not seen anything like that and they would still need to support "old" hardware they sold for 3-5 years, so i dont think we will seen drastic changes in a short time frame that would lock us out

for now they just officially get rid of stuff they already not supporting anymore, anyone with a original hardware should at least use 6.2.4 or above if they want security updates

PS: there are also alternatives like open media vault anyone can switch  to on the fly by just booting omv from usb or a disk, the (software) raid and file system will be recognized and  it will be usable nearly ootb (volume names might need some tweaking to mount afair, i did a thing here about that and its still my personal fall back i have around as a omv5 boot stick), the one exception i know about is raid F1 for ssd's as its synology specific but i guess very few will use that as its only available in business units and for all flash configurations

• Like 1