XPEnology Community

add extra license surveillance station

aeng

Have DSM 6.0.2-8451 and installed surveillance station.

I want to addd some extra camera licences.

I use add license wizard from surveillance station, then i wrote license key , and finally aktivate by pressing button FINISH. Then i get this message;

"Connection failed.Please check your network settings".

Can someone help me

• 2 months later...

Did you ever get this question answered? I'm wondering the same thing.

I would like to add more license and I don't have the coding expertise to do it any other way besides to purchase the license packs.

I just want to verify that the license packs will work with Xpenology.

Thanks.

Are we talking about buying the license or hacking Surveillance Station. If the latter, please be advised that piracy is not tolerated here. If the former you might not be able as I believe that Surveillance Station uses at least an officially valid paired S/N and MAC address to make sure you are on a real Synology.

I'm asking about buying the license either from Amazon or synology.

Then I think the reason you are seing the error message is because of the explanation I gave above. Synology is checking that you are on a real Synology hardware. Since not, that check fails and you receive the above message.

If I already own a synology NAS or buy a cheap second hand one could I use its SN and MAC on my xpenology build to install a legitimately purchased license?.

It should not matter what serial and MAC you use, since that is not used by the loader. You can still use the DS3615xs images, with, saj, a DS214 serial and MAC.

If I already own a synology NAS or buy a cheap second hand one could I use its SN and MAC on my xpenology build to install a legitimately purchased license?

Sure, you can, but first read license agrements. IMO, since license is given to a particual hardware, which is identified by pair of serial with mac, by using serial and mac on xpenology and using survillance licence you will violate license agrements. But it is just my opinion and you can ask synology support about that.

Let say synology will find a way to identify that you have installed extra license on xpenology, and will revoke all extra licenses with no refund? What will you do?

If I already own a synology NAS or buy a cheap second hand one could I use its SN and MAC on my xpenology build to install a legitimately purchased license?

Sure, you can, but first read license agrements. IMO, since license is given to a particual hardware, which is identified by pair of serial with mac, by using serial and mac on xpenology and using survillance licence you will violate license agrements. But it is just my opinion and you can ask synology support about that.

Let say synology will find a way to identify that you have installed extra license on xpenology, and will revoke all extra licenses with no refund? What will you do?

You're already violating ToS by using XPEnology, so...

One does not compensate the other and it wouldn't make the use of the Surveillance Station on an Xpenology anymore legal.

If you really need to have additional surveillance station licenses then buying a real Synology box would be the way to go and using surveillance station with the real Synology hardware would be the only legal path.

You're already violating ToS by using XPEnology, so...

Maybe. To be honest i dont know.

My point is, is it worth to buy extra license and maybe one day lose it?

No, it is not worth it to buy it for the pirated copy of Synology. Either go fully licensed or fully pirated.

Thanks,

I was under the impression that xpenology was leveraging open source software (or at least not completely proprietary) and not an infringement of Synology license. Is that not so?

That's why I was curious about the surveillance package as it is quite clearly an "add-on" synology sell and should be compensated for.

Thanks,

I was under the impression that xpenology was leveraging open source software (or at least not completely proprietary) and not an infringement of Synology license. Is that not so?

That's why I was curious about the surveillance package as it is quite clearly an "add-on" synology sell and should be compensated for.

Yes, the Xpenology is really only the Linux kernel with some mechanisms in-place to combat the checks done by the Synology OS, extra drivers and it emulates the device that has serial number. But the real problem starts when you download the PAT file and use the proprietary parts of the Synology OS on the box that wasn't licensed for it. Technically, in some countries its illegal to bypath the mechanisms that prevent you from running on a non-licensed hardware, so the bootloader would also be illegal.

Thanks,

Synology's DSM is Linux, with their own proprietary additions (funny thing, they do break GPL with their synobios kernel module!), including the app system, volume system, and the web UI.

What we do is take this specifically licensed product (because this together is a product), break that license and ToS, and install it on our hardware. Then we circumvent the protection employed by Synology to make it work (and also we add some extra stuff (kernel drivers for support, mostly).

So yes, we are infringing the license of DSM, because it says it can only be used on Synology hardware (hardware it is sold on).

I use to get that error message in 5.1 when trying to add 1 cam license that I paid for on xpenology. It turned out to be the MAC/Serial combination that was causing the error. Now sure this hacked software so ymmv for the future of this working forever.

• 1 year later...

Coming back to the initial question with some answers and no solution :)

I have bought a licence for the 3-rd cam which worked well on DS112 box.

The same licence worked also on baremetal Xpenology 6.02.

Now I have gone over to ESXi based environment and the licence does not activate anymore, giving the "connection failed" error

I have tried SN and MAC pair generated by the excel file available in the net.

I have also tried the original MAC and SN from the DS112, with still the connection failed message at activation the licence.

Might be that there are some detection mechanisms for non genuine HW. I also tried to fall back to the oldest possible surveillance station with no success.

My workaround: I am running separate Xpenology instance on ESXi for every pair of cameras. Not very convenient as they have separate timelines.

Still looking for a more permanent solution, and I'm ready to buy more licences if I get it working.

Right now tried also the MAC/SN which worked on baremetal Xpenology 6.02, same "connection failed" message.

I know, I can take my DS112 box and run it for cameras only, but after the ESXi experience I just cant see myself going back to any HW based solution.

I would love to pay licences, but not ready to go back to any HW based solution, not to the baremetal xpenology and not to the original Synology box, its so huge difference in response time and user experience in general.

7 hours ago, ryerye said:

Coming back to the initial question with some answers and no solution :)

I have bought a licence for the 3-rd cam which worked well on DS112 box.

The same licence worked also on baremetal Xpenology 6.02.

Now I have gone over to ESXi based environment and the licence does not activate anymore, giving the "connection failed" error

I have tried SN and MAC pair generated by the excel file available in the net.

I have also tried the original MAC and SN from the DS112, with still the connection failed message at activation the licence.

Might be that there are some detection mechanisms for non genuine HW. I also tried to fall back to the oldest possible surveillance station with no success.

My workaround: I am running separate Xpenology instance on ESXi for every pair of cameras. Not very convenient as they have separate timelines.

Still looking for a more permanent solution, and I'm ready to buy more licences if I get it working.

The reason it no longer works is because Synology have changed their T&C's around moving licences, even on genuine hardware.

I am well aware that Synology tried to limit moving the licences, however afaik they cancelled the limitations again and now there should be no restrictions.

At least I could move the licence back from Xpenology 6.02 to DS112 again. 

Therefore I would still believe that the error has something to do with  Xpenology detected by Synology.

• 2 years later...

Too much paranoia about the Xpenology and Survailance station. This forum does not allow providing more concrete solutions that are already available. 

It is been hacked 100%. 

A new site must be opened to continue with Xpenology development. 

It is not useful to get replies from Synology engineers here protecting their product 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

One thing that does work, but is a bit a ******* for anything other than a new setup, is :-

Build a single disk real Synology box (make sure the box you choose it capable of the number of cams you need, there are limits defined) load up all your licences.

Build your Xpenology box up, "seed" the install by importing the single drive from you existing real Synology, you now have Xpenology with licenses loaded, add more HDDs as you like and you are good to go.

You may have to manually define the cam storage volume (huge effort, takes seconds) but this does work and I have several HP Proliants running large cams counts effortlessly by this method.

I didn't use the real Synology MAC or Serial but they have been up for years all fine.

I haven't tried to re-use the keys (as I can see trashing the licenses would be a nightmare to sort out) and TBH the system is fairly priced so £40/cam is not an issue, I just need better hardware than Synology offer (ILO in particular, but Xeons, large RAM, 10GBs) so it works for me... 

One thing that does work, but is a bit a ******* for anything other than a new setup, is :-

Build a single disk real Synology box (make sure the box you choose it capable of the number of cams you need, there are limits defined) load up all your licences.

Build your Xpenology box up, "seed" the install by importing the single drive from you existing real Synology, you now have Xpenology with licenses loaded, add more HDDs as you like and you are good to go.

You may have to manually define the cam storage volume (huge effort, takes seconds) but this does work and I have several HP Proliants running large cams counts effortlessly by this method.

I didn't use the real Synology MAC or Serial but they have been up for years all fine.

I haven't tried to re-use the keys (as I can see trashing the licenses would be a nightmare to sort out) and TBH the system is fairly priced so £40/cam is not an issue, I just need better hardware than Synology offer (ILO in particular, but Xeons, large RAM, 10GBs) so it works for me...