XPEnology Community

Esxi DSM 6 ovf deploy - Jun's loader

koroziv

When using set MAC1= command will it write it permanently to grub.cfg? or do I need to download the .vmdk to a linux client, mount it there, and edit the grub.cfg and upload it back to the datastore?

No, it wont write permamently. It was just to find out problem. You can try jun's xpenology tool to change grub settings.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24308

I've read the topic: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24308, but I am not clear over if you can remove grub setting MAC completely?

I understand that you can change the MAC with Jun's Xpenology tool, but can you unset it and let it take the MAC of

the virtual VM LAN in ESXi ?

Im not sure because i dont use it, but this is how i think:

- if i do: set MAC1= , and leave it empty then this will override settings from grub.cfg,

- if this overrides settings in grub.cfg with empty string and at the same time it takes mac from VM settings, then my best guess is yes, when you change grub.cfg with jun's tool then you can control mac from esxi.

But like i said, i dont use it myself and this is only deduction from overriding settings during startup. Best option is to create test vm and try it, it cost nothing but some time, but gives you great experience.

I decided to avoid the migrate process and moved all hdd's from the 6.0 vm to the 6.1 vm (using RDM for my data); nothing was lost, all ok, uptime 3 days so far. I had to install the apps again and to configure it from scratch.

Before the move I changed the mac and sn in grub.cfg to avoid any conflicts; I'm sure it would have worked without that but I kept the old 6.0 vm for fallback (for eventual problems with 6.1) and it had the same mac.

I'm on ESXI6.5 and update from XPEnoboot 5.2-5967 to DSM 6.1-15047. The update did succeed but dsm popped some red alert and ds photo stopped working.I backed up my system configuration,mounted the HDDs to ubuntu vm,formated dsm system partitions,did a clean install and import my settings back.Everything is fine now :grin: I also noticed that DSM 6.1-15047 Update 1 is available now.Is it safe to update?

Here you have a video with the vm creation process

No time to put it on youtube, and I'm not sure that it won't be taken down for various legal reasons.

You will see there that I get an ip, if find.synology.com is not working try using other means to see all the clients in your lan.

Edit - video removed, to little info for a 400 mb file :smile: maybe i'll make a better one someday.

Just download the free "Nmap" program. I use it, works great for all kinds of network problems.

The vm hw10-xpeno6.1 worked well for me on HP ML20 v2 with Esxi 6.5.

The only issue I have is that the loaders seems not to contain the drivers for my usb-controller. My vm powers with passthrough of this 2 pci devices not on.

pqk7gyu.png

DEV ID: 8C26

VEN: 8086

What can I do to fix this?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the file

however, when I enabled auto convert video to mobile friendly version in Indexing in control panel...

even i'm using the admin account to upload thru network drive

it failed at video converting ...every time..

in the log it shows..

System failed to convert video [/volume1/photo/00000.MTS] to mpeg4.

do you guys experience the same ?

naWqQvd.png

I installed DSM 6.1 with last Jun Loader on ESXI 6.0.

Just one question, about drive, i created one (persistent with a vdmk (linked to synoboot.img) and another of 32GB no persistent.

I am not sure but after the first vdmk linked to img, can be delete, or removed it automatically ?

Because i saw it on DSM, and not initialized....

I choose this method, because i can made a snapshot just with 32GB Drive and app/module on it, without data where i used to raw drive mapping.

Thanks so much for the file

however, when I enabled auto convert video to mobile friendly version in Indexing in control panel...

even i'm using the admin account to upload thru network drive

it failed at video converting ...every time..

in the log it shows..

System failed to convert video [/volume1/photo/00000.MTS] to mpeg4.

do you guys experience the same ?

naWqQvd.png

Yes, I have the same problem on 6.0.

Edit: Solved by applying a new serial

• 2 weeks later...

Will this scenario work:

1: Download and setup new VM, with this 6.X+ build

2: Shutdown current DSM 5

3: Mount storage with files to the new VM

4: Boot the new VM

I ask, because DSM 6 has the new filesystem. Dunno if it will work, or I should make new vmdk, and copy files from a to b afterwards.

I still do not see any successful migration from 6.0.2 to 6.1/6.1.1 on ESX, right?

I have tried it by myself, but after migration and restart, the network is gone...

Seems so, I asked multiple times already and no positive answer yet.

(please someone tell me otherwise [emoji12])

Gesendet von meinem ONE A2003 mit Tapatalk

The last vm I posted is using Jun's alpha loader for 6.1; I'm still using it with no issues, didn't update to 6.1.1. I don't have the time to try and test other loaders :sad:

There is issue when you upgrade DSM 6.x to 6.1.1 on esxi vm. Basically system is bricked.

• 2 months later...

Here is an ovf with the latest version dsm installed (DS3615xs)

https://mega.nz/#!t8xiVJ6K!aOmfjy8w-DSFTDKn7eX_8-0PSW6E1_PsWk8JDkJin7A

It is dsm 6.1.3-15152 update 1; login with user admin and password 123456

I just created a volume and a folder in it to test, didn't touch any settings in there.

working fine on esxi 6.5 on a hp gen8 microserver

hw version 13, you need esxi 6.5 to use this ovf; you can convert to lower hw versions for older esxi  

I can't edit the first post to add the new file.

If you have another xpeno vm running check the mac address and change if necessary; or just stop any other xpeno vm before running this one.

Edited by koroziv
  • Like 2

On 7/30/2017 at 6:59 AM, koroziv said:

Here is an ovf with the latest version dsm installed (DS3615xs)

https://mega.nz/#!t8xiVJ6K!aOmfjy8w-DSFTDKn7eX_8-0PSW6E1_PsWk8JDkJin7A

It is dsm 6.1.3-15152 update 1; login with user admin and password 123456

I just created a volume and a folder in it to test, didn't touch any settings in there.

working fine on esxi 6.5 on a hp gen8 microserver

hw version 13, you need esxi 6.5 to use this ovf; you can convert to lower hw versions for older esxi  

I can't edit the first post to add the new file.

If you have another xpeno vm running check the mac address and change if necessary; or just stop any other xpeno vm before running this one.

Awesome! Thanks for your work, I just deployed it on a fresh 6.5U1 - works like a charm.

Anyone knows if there is "nvme" module available? Have a spare disk that would like to pass-through .. 

Edited by sl0n

Hi Koroziv,
 Thank you for your OVF you proposed. Unfortunately, it does not work for me.
 Here is the configuration I used: ESXi 6.5.0 U1

As some other people in this thread, the VM start but never contact the DHCP server to get an IP address.
 I tried to change the MAC address with several values (the default you delivered and also the Jun's one 00:11:32:2C:A7:85).
 I tried to boot with EFI.

I tried this OVF VM in another ESXi where I succeed to create a VM from the Jun's img loader, but it does not work also.

Do you know a way to debug what is happen during the boot of the VM ?
 Why the VM does not contact the DHCP server ?

Thank a lot from anyone who can help me to debug.

The mac address in my ovf is the one you posted, Jun's one; stop any other xpeno vm on your lan. Also check your router for assigned ip's, findsynology.com and their app dosen't always work.

I could assign an static ip to the vm and export to ovf but not everyone uses the same network values; I mean 192.168.1.101 but others might use 10.10..... or 192.168.0..., or the 101 might be already taken.

PS: you have to change the mac and serial with valid ones in the grub.cfg file, changing the mac in vm settings does not help.

I don't know how to debug, just that is possible.

Edited by koroziv

I don't have any other xpeno vm in my lan when I try.

About mac changing, I used the capability at the boot time. I chose a mac and set it according to the one of the vm mac just before load the Jun's kernel..

For the serial, I know how to generate a new one, but I don't how to record it in the grub.cfg file when it is in the disk-0.vmdk file.

I know how to process if it was an img file with the OSF Mount utility, but not in case of a vmdk file.

If you can provide me a VM with a static ip file, it would be great. In that case, just provide an IP between 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.50.

can you also provide a longer time out before loading Jun's kernel, because the current one is too short some time. I think that 10 seconds will help me too (set timeout='10'  in grub.cfg file).

Thanks again for your help.