XPEnology Community

Guide of how to install 6.0.2 from scratch ?

burton666

I know there are alot of install guides for similar tasks but I do not understand how to get to 6.0.2 from scratch. I had DSM 5.1 installed on a HP N54L before it crached and when I tried to reinstall it something went wrong and every time the server rebooted it stopped working until I reinstalled again.

Do I need to install DSM 5.2 before I try to upgrade to 6.0.2 ? Or is it possible to install 6.0.2 directly? If so could someone post a link to a woking guide. I found a guide for 5.2 but it was from 2013 and I guess the install instructions would have been updated since then.

I know there are alot of install guides for similar tasks but I do not understand how to get to 6.0.2 from scratch. I had DSM 5.1 installed on a HP N54L before it crached and when I tried to reinstall it something went wrong and every time the server rebooted it stopped working until I reinstalled again.

Do I need to install DSM 5.2 before I try to upgrade to 6.0.2 ? Or is it possible to install 6.0.2 directly? If so could someone post a link to a woking guide. I found a guide for 5.2 but it was from 2013 and I guess the install instructions would have been updated since then.

No need to install 5.2. You can do a fresh install of DSM 6.0. See my signature.

Thanks for the info, I only have one more question. In the tutorial this is some of the steps:

Change sn=C7LWN09761 to sn=[your sn]

Change mac1=0011322CA785 to mac1=[your mac address]

Is this something I find in my server hardware or how do I find out what values to use?

Changing sn and mac is not mandatory for installing dsm. That step is required only if you want to use the synology quickconnect service. Personally I had much better results using a free dns like noip or whatever you like.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That is not entirely correct. Although you don't need to change the MAC address I recommend you do so and use the one from your NIC.

For the S/N you can leave as is.