XPEnology Community

HP GEN 8 HELP! Please

yquzac

4 minutes ago, haldi said:

Uhm, if i may ask, what exactly is different about the official ARPL.

What are the extra changes made for HP Microserver Gen8?

there is no different to the original ARPL 1.03b but i have saved for me and this loader works on the gen8 one word -->perfect in any case !

Only You need to set the CPU governor to performance for the full power feeling the idle consumption is the same but the power is double or tripled 

I had no issue with 1.03b except HDD spindown, using TCRP mshell HDD doesn't spindown on 7.1.1 but not sure if that's 7.1.1 issue, however my TCRP with 7.1.1 I have no SAN Manager just stops and asks me to repair however doesn't work. But sure why either. 

Ahh thanks.

Because official Releases are at V1.0 Beta 11a now.

Running a E3 1265L with 2.4Ghz. on v0.5 Alpha loader. Seems to run fine a max Frequency... but Performance is still bad.

Haldi@NAS:~$ sudo dmesg | grep MHz
[    0.000000] tsc: Detected 2394.305 MHz processor
[    3.689277] tsc: Refined TSC clocksource calibration: 2394.560 MHz
Haldi@NAS:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep MHz
cpu MHz         : 2394.305

System Information
  Operating System              Linux 4.4.180+ x86_64
  Model                         HP Synoden
  Motherboard                   N/A
  BIOS                          HP J06

Processor Information
  Name                          Intel Xeon E3-1265L
  Topology                      1 Processor, 4 Cores, 8 Threads
  Identifier                    GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
  Base Frequency                2.39 GHz
  L1 Instruction Cache          32.0 KB x 4
  L1 Data Cache                 32.0 KB x 4
  L2 Cache                      256 KB x 4
  L3 Cache                      8.00 MB

Memory Information
  Size                          7.66 GB

Geekbench 5 Score

Single-Core Score

Multi-Core Score

hi both 

found some intressting things :-)

Test with V1.0 Beta 11a and with the gen8 it is working tested 3622xs

and for full power you have to set in bios :the highest import setting are OS Control Mode for the performance Mode!!!

this is only aI3

this is working without the CPU Governor Command

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19897082 with OS Control Mode

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19895998 with the wrong settings Power Management was at Performance a BAD RESULT 

F9 -> RBSU

In RBSU:

- System Options         -> Serial Options -> Virtual Serial Port: Enabled
                -> Embedded NICs -> NIC 1 Boot Options: Disabled
                -> NUMLOCK Power-On State: On
                -> SATA Controller Options -> Embedded SATA Configuration: Enable SATA AHCI Support

- Power Management Options    -> HP Power Regulator: OS Control Mode
                -> Advanced Power Management Options    -> Intel QPI Link Power Management: Enabled
                                    -> Minimum Processor Idle Power Core State: C6 State
                                    -> Minimum Processor Idle Power Package State: Package C6 (retention) State
                                    -> Maximum Memory Bus Frequency: Auto
                                    -> Memory Interleaving: Full Interleaving
                                    -> PCI-E Gen 3 Control (For Select Devices)    -> PCI-E Slot 1: Enabled
                                    -> Maximum PCI Express Speed: Maximum Supported
                                    -> Dynamic Power Savings Mode Response: Fast
                                    -> Collaborative Power Control: Enabled
                                    -> DIMM Voltage Preference: Optimized for Performance

- Date and Time: Datum und Uhrzeit korrekt einstellen

- BIOS Serial Console & EMS    -> BIOS Serial Console Port: Enabled

- Advanced Options        -> Advanced System ROM Options        -> NMI Debug Button -> Disabled
                                    -> Virtual Install Disk -> Disabled
                                    -> Power-On Logo -> Enabled

- System Default Options    -> User Default Options -> Save User Defaults -> Yes, Save

Beginn Installation OS

Mode.png

Edited by nemesis122

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I've got a gen8 with 1265v2 and dsm 6.2.3 (ds3617xs). Working fine but no hardware transcoding.

I've noticed you were talking about having a dgpu but I though it wouldn't work neither for hardware transcoding with gen 8, even with tinycore and newest loaders.

Did it change and could i get hardware transcoding with my baremetal gen 8 ?

Thanks for the help guys

12 hours ago, Petitgnoll6 said:

Hi everyone,

I've got a gen8 with 1265v2 and dsm 6.2.3 (ds3617xs). Working fine but no hardware transcoding.

I've noticed you were talking about having a dgpu but I though it wouldn't work neither for hardware transcoding with gen 8, even with tinycore and newest loaders.

Did it change and could i get hardware transcoding with my baremetal gen 8 ?

3615/17 dont come with i915 driver needed for intel qsv and there are parts missing in the kernel so you cant just compile additional drivers (like its done for network and storage drivers)

any platform with build in i915 driver needs at least a haswell (4th gen) cpu and microserver gen8 is 2nd/3rd gen cpu's

the only ray of light might be sa6400 (only unit with kernel 5.x, epyc based) where Jim Ma added a i915 driver by also adding things missing for i915 in the kernel config

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/68067-develop-and-refine-sa3600broadwellnk-and-sa6400epyc7002-thread/

1st i cant say for sure if sa6400 will need 4th gen, its still a beta release (i did not test that and i cant remember seeing anyone writing about that)

2nd is in theory someone could apply the same technique to other (future 5.x based units, dsm 7.2 will keep all kernels as it is now so we talk about new units with a new platform in 2023 and dsm 7.3 in 2024), so in 2024 there might be be ds3622 based on dsm 7.3 and kernel 5.x that get the same treatments as sa6400 got now, but thats a lot of time and if's (as we dont know if dsm 7.3 will bring kernel 5.x to most units as it was done with 7.0 where most units changed from 3.x to 4.x - also 7.3 is a placeholder it might be dsm 8.0 next year instead)

beside trying jim ma's sa6400 arpl loader on "older" cpu's there is nothing that could be done atm  - at least with dsm/xpenology - you could switch to open media vault and have i915 working immediately, its just creating a (additional) boot disk (or usb) and replace the usb xpenlology loader with that, the data raid partitions will be recognized and should be usable ootb (there might be a problem with volume naming but that can be solved)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/42793-hp-gen8-dsm-623-25426-update-3-failed/#comment-200475

you could remove the OMV boot media at any time and re-add the xpenology usb loader and have DSM back, the dsm partions (1st and 2nd on every disk) will not be touched so dsm with its config will stay put until its used again)

Thanks for your detailed answer !

Nice news for jim ma's loader, i'll follow that (but with baremetal install kinda hard to test if it's the production server xD).

And that was indeed what I though for the cpu and it doesnt change anything by adding a dedicated GPU, right ? (that's what you are trying to by telling me I can't compile additional drivers ?)

And about switching to OMV that could be a great idea, but I'm on SHR partitions and I though it wouldn't work out of synology (maybe I would be able to switch SHR to a raid 5 ? But having same size disk ?)

Thanks for your help !

Edited by Petitgnoll6

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, haldi said:

Soo.... 7.2 officially released!

Which Loader would you recommend?

Arc Loader: https://github.com/AuxXxilium/arc

ARPL i18n: https://github.com/wjz304/arpl-i18n

HP Microserver Gen 8 Baremetal as always....

3622xs image is still first choice right?

Anyone already got it running?

both loader are working great with the gen8 i would go with ARC 

But anyway the new docker App Container Manager is terrible 

cant create shortcuts on DSM for docker Containers anymore -- and i dont want creating this with webstation also so i will stay with DSM 7.1

Edited by nemesis122

i tried. But Network didn't work....

Sysinfo:

ARCinfo.thumb.png.06e787d0eb7f4ddead71df77ca97ca62.png

Used 3622xs Build: 64561 and some Modules:

ARC_manual_modules.png.32a607b6fbf1621186df122b73f7bbf2.png

No need for certain Network driver right? the HP 223i works out of the box? as there is no module to include.

Then i tried a build without any Addons or Modules.... that one finally worked after around 15 Seconds network was reachable. (though the IP was showing up before, i just didn't connect and timed out)

image.thumb.png.571ce34f0779ab2f0e67c1476d21ebd8.png

image.thumb.png.e5169007fffa0ce12d477968da615e8d.png

Edited by haldi

• 1 month later...