XPEnology Community

Baremetal TCRP DSM 7 Plex Media Server Live TV Transcoding/Buffering

mic-cosmos

Question

Hi all,

I used Dell Precision 3620 (E3-1225v5, 8GB ECC) to build a TCRP-based (DS918+ DSM 7.1.1-42962) Plex Media Server (V 1.30.0.6486). My problem is excessive buffering when trying to stream Plex live TV from HDHomerun Duo.

-Not a network issue as everything is hardwired and I can stream smoothly using the HDHomerun TV app instead of Plex

-CPU use goes up from 2-3% to 30% (Due to Plex Transcoder; HW transcoding enabled in Plex, transcode off in Live TV/DVR settings), buffering every couple of seconds, regardless of video output quality

-No issues streaming locally-stored video files (even transcoding with CPU use bump doesn't cause buffering)

-No issues streaming live TV from another PMS running in Ubuntu with GPU passthrough in ESXI 6.7

I appreciate any pointers on what the issue might be and how to resolve it.

Edited by mic-cosmos

1 answer to this question

It's definitely a HW transcoding issue. CPU use is actually lower when I disable HW transcode and there's no buffering. Could anyone give advice on how to get Plex HW transcoding to work? As I understand it, Synology AME isn't necessary for Plex. I've tried elevating privileges in /dev/dri but it didn't work.