XPEnology Community

Drivers requests for DSM 5.2

In not sure about the virtio drivers, i read diffrent stories (Wheter they work or not) but i would like to stress that we really need virtio drivers support. Mainly virt_net and virt_scsi (maby virt_blk).

I have tried to complie the drivers myself but i dont seem to get them working. I followed this TUT: http://xpenology.club/compile-drivers-x ... d-in-bash/

I have double checked if the drivers are there (added in rc.modules and visable on mounted (syno)boot.img) in the /etc/lib/models folder, but no nic (virt_net) is detected and no hdd (virt_scsi) is detected in the eXpenology VM. I'm able to boot the vm and configure it with e1000 nic and sata disk (as data disk for creating volume1).

I still have the vm so i could provide some logging.

Im using/have tried:

Jun's Mod V1.01 and v1.02a2

qemu 2.9

I would like to add that the drivers are working in: XPEnoboot 5.2-5544.5

It's possible to add AMD support in the last loader. and full support Proliant G7 and G8 like before with Nanoboot :grin:

Hardware spec are not bad for DSM 6.x but not possible to use now. And i think the community with this machine is big.

Hi everyone!

Please add the driver for sata controller on motherboard Supermicro x9drd-if.

I'm using Jun's Mod V1.01 and v1.02a2 but no HDD saws during installation.

Information from oficial site is below:

Chipset    

Intel® C602 chipset

AHCI SATA

2x SATA 3.0 ports (6Gbps)

4x SATA 2.0 ports (3Gbps)

SCU SATA

Thanx a lot!

On 13.6.2017 at 4:44 PM, sd2d said:

Hi everyone!

Please add the driver for sata controller on motherboard Supermicro x9drd-if.

I'm using Jun's Mod V1.01 and v1.02a2 but no HDD saws during installation.

Information from oficial site is below:

Chipset    

Intel® C602 chipset

AHCI SATA

2x SATA 3.0 ports (6Gbps)

SCU SATA

Thanx a lot!

in theory the c600 chipset should work with my extra.lzma and the 3615xs image (loader 1.02a or 1.02b)

Intel(R) C600 Series Chipset SAS Controller						isci.ko

Greetings,

I've followed the latest tutorials for installing, however Synology assistant will not see the server. There are no errors on boot that I can see. Could you please add the following, or let me know if I missed something?

Network adapters are: 

4x Intel 82576 Gigabit

2x Intel 82574L Gigabit

Motherboard is:

Supermicro X8SIA / X8SIA-F

Thank you so much for your work here!

3 hours ago, justinschumacher said:

Greetings,

I've followed the latest tutorials for installing, however Synology assistant will not see the server. There are no errors on boot that I can see. Could you please add the following, or let me know if I missed something?

Network adapters are: 

4x Intel 82576 Gigabit

2x Intel 82574L Gigabit

Motherboard is:

Supermicro X8SIA / X8SIA-F

Thank you so much for your work here!

did you tryed with my extended extra.lzma?

(for details how to use see my comment above about the c600 chipset)

4 minutes ago, ordimans said:

@IG-88 >> It's possible to add AMD support easily ?

as amd support is not a driver/kernel module that can be compiled additionaly (thats what my extra.lzma is) - no

and guess if it was just "easy" jun would havealready have done it with the 1.02b

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

as amd support is not a driver/kernel module that can be compiled additionaly (thats what my extra.lzma is) - no

and guess if it was just "easy" jun would havealready have done it with the 1.02b

Thanks you.
I will try your how to soon.

But i missunderstood, why it work with old loader (1.01) and not with the new (since 1.02).

Not sure to know how the loader works exactly....

3 hours ago, IG-88 said:

did you tryed with my extended extra.lzma?

(for details how to use see my comment above about the c600 chipset)

You know, I did try replacing the file with your extra.lzma. One thing I wasn't certain on, was do I replace the existing (IE: Rename extra.lzma) or just add the extra.lzma in addition to the existence of the other file. I'll take a look at your response about the c600 chipset to see if you explain it there. I did follow the upgrade tutorial when I did it.

3 hours ago, justinschumacher said:

You know, I did try replacing the file with your extra.lzma. One thing I wasn't certain on, was do I replace the existing (IE: Rename extra.lzma) or just add the extra.lzma in addition to the existence of the other file. I'll take a look at your response about the c600 chipset to see if you explain it there. I did follow the upgrade tutorial when I did it.

I see where it said to replace it now. However, replacing it with your extra.lzma didn't seem to have an effect. Is there a log somewhere I can look at to see if it's having trouble? Thank you again for all you all are doing here, it's wonderful!

4 hours ago, justinschumacher said:

I see where it said to replace it now. However, replacing it with your extra.lzma didn't seem to have an effect. Is there a log somewhere I can look at to see if it's having trouble? Thank you again for all you all are doing here, it's wonderful!

OK I tried the newest bootloader with your file and it is still not detectable. The system seems to boot fine, and get to where the tutorial says I should find it with the Synology Assistant. I see my DSM device, but not this one. As I don't see any logs I am not sure what else I can provide to troubleshoot.

11 hours ago, ordimans said:

Thanks you.
I will try your how to soon.

youn dont have to, the howto does only discribe the way how to compile a driver/kernel module for the kernel you alredy use

i dont know how amd support was implemented on 1.01 loader, i expected it to be a special kernel with fixed/build in options

11 hours ago, ordimans said:

But i missunderstood, why it work with old loader (1.01) and not with the new (since 1.02).

Not sure to know how the loader works exactly....

linux as base system has the kernel, the "main" file (compiled kernel) is loaded by the boot loader and contains the most important stuff to get the base running (like prozessor support), if everything would be in the kernel (one file) it will be big and harder to handle/load as most of the theoretical hardware is not peresent in the system (kernel precompiled by the distributor) so there ist the additioal option to have kernel parts (drivers) as modules and load them later (if done manual like "insmod driver_xyz.ko")

kernel come in different versions and as this versions are not compatible everry driver/kenel module hast to be compilied for the kernel from the source of that kernel

as 1.01 is for synology dsm 6.0.2 based on kernel 3.10.77 (synology modify's the kernel and give them a internel number counting up so dsm 6.0.2 is 8451) and dsm 6.1 is based on kernel 3.10.102 it will not be possible to mix driver/kernel modules as they are for different kernels (based on kernels from www.kernel.org)

in one "line" (dsm 6.0, dsm 6.1) usualy sysnology stays with a kernel but modify's it so the synology intenal build numer rises like seen in 6.1 -> 6.1.1 -> 6.1.2 that can also have consequences if you use a kernel module from 6.1 for 6.1.1 or 6.1.2 as it is the same linux kernel it might work but as seen in my howto with the extra.lzma there where some kernel modules not working anymore for 6.1.1 and it might be more with 6.1.2

as there ist no kernel source for the sysnology internal builds for 6.1.1 and 6.1.2 i can not compile directly for this version, if seen dogmatic the only version my extra.lzma is good for is 6.1 build 15047 as for this version i have kernel source (https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/Synology NAS GPL Source/) for newer versions synologhy does not provide the modifyed kernel source (as they should if it comes to GPL ?)

synology dsm is something like a closed source or walled garden system and they do not embrace the open source / GPL thought, they dont like the efforts of xpenology (as they might see it as "hacking" there IP) but  as they use open source for dsm they are also bound to the GPL and other open source licenses they use and have to share (but thats just my point of view)

This topic was setup by @Trantor at the time of DSM 5.x. That is long ago (~4 years) and we are now at DSM 6.x. Unfortunately Trantor has not maintained this thread for some time. I will keep it open as a reference for other developers who wish to see what drivers have been/are requested but I urge everyone posting here to post according to the guidelines that were provided in the OP, which I will recall here below for the sake of clarity. Please also add the DSM version you want the driver for. Note that there is absolutely no guarantee that any of these requests will be taken into consideration in view of what I said above.

On October 8, 2013 at 5:16 AM, Trantor said:

This thread is for requesting drivers for hardware (net, storage) which are not supported by XPEnology yet.

The purpose of this it to regroup drivers request in order to improve XPEnology in the next repack.

Please test with the latest build and check HARDWARE SUPPORTED LIST before asking for driver !

Please do not request WIFI drivers

Please give most informations as you can (brand, chip, revision...).

If you can test your hardware with ubuntu livecd to get modules infos and/or give manufacturer download link.

Be concise in your post and strictly stick to topic or I will delete posts without any warning.

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

Can you please add Broadcom BCM57766A1KMLG PCIe Ethernet card for the 1.02b bootloader for the DS916+ 6.1 DSM! I would like to test it with hardware encryption! (the driver already included in the 3615 bootloader as it works great but I don't have hardware transcoding...)

It seems I can't add a ramdisk qith the new kernel in the DSM6.1?

thanks for your help!

Edited by raidsm

Hi IG-88,

Can pata_via be added to the extra.lzma you maintain for dsm 6?

Pata_via is used for many of vias early sata controllers which sometimes had sata/pata on 1 board. I need pata_via for my second IDE controller with 4x drives. 

THANKS

Edited by madhits45