XPEnology Community

SMB / Copy speed on esxi SLOW

tested the new 6.5 build , non HPE version, same issue

then disabled ahci : esxcli system module set --enabled=false --module=vmw_ahci

same issue 

i think above is another issue, its an issue/case to have better speeds

the issue i have here , is that smb speed actually drops to 0 kb and eventually fails

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 30/08/2017 at 0:05 PM, NoFate said:

so to be sure, my ram wasnt defect, i used another 2 x 2 GB ram in my system

on 2 GB host synology 5.2 is stable when copying

when i put 3 GB or 4 GB on the virtual machine, i have the smb issue again

Hello,

I downgrade my VM 4 GB --> 2GB

See you in few days for the result

Thanks NoFate for your work.

34 minutes ago, koroziv said:

this:

up to esxi 6.0 - downgrade hpvsa driver ( use "scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88OEM.550.0.0.1331820.x86_64.vib" )

esxi 6.5 - downgrade hpvsa driver (same as above) and disable the esxi ahci module

Hi, yes, that's also a bug, but resolved in 6.5 update 1 , but that was an other story, that bug was more like that the speeds were not faster then 60 MB / sec...

The bug we have is that it starts at 110  , but drops to 0 and even crashes... That's something else...

I resolved it on my ASRock from changing 4 GB ram to 2, but on my gen8 it didn't help..

Also to be sure, I tried older esxi like 5.5, also same story, so it has nothing to do with hpsva driver... Tried all that stuff also ;)

to all,

i found another way to make it work on my hp gen 8

bought a 2 sata controller with asmedia chipset (marevell doesnt work, not compatible with vt-d) http://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_77_85&product_id=151

installed esxi on a microsim card (on the mainboard)

boot esxi from microsd

attached 1 ssd drive to that asmedia sata controller, so my datatstore in on that ssd

passthrough the whole cougar controller with 4 bay

no issues now anymore, copy is working perfect! and i have the smart status now visible in synology

me happy

• 2 years later...
On 9/15/2017 at 12:47 PM, NoFate said:

to all,

i found another way to make it work on my hp gen 8

bought a 2 sata controller with asmedia chipset (marevell doesnt work, not compatible with vt-d) http://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_77_85&product_id=151

installed esxi on a microsim card (on the mainboard)

boot esxi from microsd

attached 1 ssd drive to that asmedia sata controller, so my datatstore in on that ssd

passthrough the whole cougar controller with 4 bay

no issues now anymore, copy is working perfect! and i have the smart status now visible in synology

me happy

Good!

Same situation for me, but if i want to run 3 xpenology (2 ipcam for vm) e 1 win10 for torrent emule download, can i passthrought 1 hdd at time to every vm? thnx

5 hours ago, thecatman said:

Good!

Same situation for me, but if i want to run 3 xpenology (2 ipcam for vm) e 1 win10 for torrent emule download, can i passthrought 1 hdd at time to every vm? thnx

why 2 for IP cam?

anyway, thats not possible i think, you can only passthrough the whole controller, so all disks

why nut just create volumes, i map then to the hosts as SMB folders? you need to create your hosts , primary disks on your data store anyway, thats on your ssd disk

my configuration includes a gen8 16gb ram xeon e3-1265l v3, esxi 6.7 standard on usb pendrive, ssd on the odd port as datastore and 4 hdd wd red 4tb in front. the problems are low network performance (fast start but then it becomes a snail) and low data transfer (hdd always 100% overload). i tried to change the hp scsi driver to an old one but with no useful result. today I try to use esxi 7 maybe they solved something otherwise or I buy the asmedia controller or I buy a sas lsi megaraid controller it mode

Edited by thecatman

yes, its because of the odd port, you need to boot the SSD from a seperare sata mini card, they use the cougar as passthrough

then my slow smb copy speed want away

i struggled also a long time with this... it starts copying fine ... then after a faw sec, it drops to zeo or crashes...

• 3 years later...

Guys , who is still using the HP gen 8 with the cougar in passtrough mode?

My datastore is on a seperate SSD drive, on a seperata SATA controller, i boot esxi from the microsd

Cougar is set to passtrough mode

I stuggled a long time to get my disks visible, until i define it like below, but i'm still on 6.1 , mauybe time to update

ALready tested the new loaders, but again, the disks on the cougar controller are gone

How do you guys manage this

@thecatman @koroziv

esataportcfg="0x1000"
usbportcfg="03000000000"    
internalportcfg="fffffffff"

Edited by NoFate