XPEnology Community

SMB / Copy speed on esxi SLOW

Hi,

when running dsm 5.2 on esxi systems, the copy speed is terrible slow

for example

if i copy over like 100 gb over gb network, it starts good at like 110MB / sec, but after a few min , it drops to 5 MB and eventually windows stops copying

changing from e1000 to vmxnet doesnt make any difference

running on baremetal, then there is no issue

what are the tweaks for this copy speed? :smile: to make it normal ?

i had an asrock mainboard, now i switched to hp gen 8 microserver (xeon model)

thnx

Hi NoFate,

I had pretty same behavior with my setup : esxi + RDM + DSM 5.2

The issue was the same with uploads (from DSM to anywhere else), starting correctly (100MB) then dropping to a few MB after a couple of min with some complete freeze sometimes. But Dowmloads were ok.

I checked a lot of things (cable, switch, ethernet config at both sides, etc ...) no success.

In a last resort, I changed the raid controller type into the DSM vm, set it to 'VMware Paravirtual' instead of 'LSI logic ...' and it did the trick !

Now both upload and download are stable and with a pretty good bandwidth (80-100MB).

I hope it will help.

cant reproduce this, running on ESXi and dont have this behaviour.

i had 1 issue in the past which looked like this and entered my ESXi monitoring. Here i saw that my DISK latency was running on 100-12000 MS !!!!

Problem solved by providing the right power to my motherboard, somehow a connector was misse and my motherboard didnt get the power it needed to handle the storage controller as a result my disk latency was very high.

Place power cord == issue solved, latency < 20ms

Hi NoFate,

I had pretty same behavior with my setup : esxi + RDM + DSM 5.2

The issue was the same with uploads (from DSM to anywhere else), starting correctly (100MB) then dropping to a few MB after a couple of min with some complete freeze sometimes. But Dowmloads were ok.

I checked a lot of things (cable, switch, ethernet config at both sides, etc ...) no success.

In a last resort, I changed the raid controller type into the DSM vm, set it to 'VMware Paravirtual' instead of 'LSI logic ...' and it did the trick !

Now both upload and download are stable and with a pretty good bandwidth (80-100MB).

I hope it will help.

ok, going to try that out

but i was pretty sure i choose paravirtual at the first setup wizard, now i see its LSI logic

also tried dsm 6 now, the issue is gone on dsm 6

but i want it to work also on 5.2 , going to try out this weekend, thnx for the tip

tried the paravirtual setting, same behaviour :sad:

after 2 mins of copying from DSM to local drive, speed drops from +- 110 MB to like 500KB and crashes copying

but seems its only on the first boot of dsm, after testing again after like 10 min, the copy speed is normal again and stable

too bad , i had the same behaviour on another mainboard, asrock n3150 , now i have it also on hp microserver gen8

but anyway, didnt have the issue on DSM 6 , so waiting for the new loader , hopefully this weekend, then going to migrate to 6 :smile:

• 1 month later...
??

Sorry, which ESX version?

Try also a copyjob to another VM on same host. With vmxnet3 the vSwitch should have 10GE, so storage controller is the limit.

If you run 5.5 or 6.0 (not 6.5), you have to downgrade the hpvsa to .88 version. All later versions have this performance bug. Maybe this is your bottleneck. Change the driver is a good decision anyway.

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/505233?start=0&tstart=0

hi,

before i had an asrock with maibnoard n3150 , esxi 6.0 , dsm 5.2

now i have a hp microserver gen8 xeon processor, esxi 6.6 dsm 5.2

both mianboards gave the same copy result when copy large files/directorys over smb , but NO problems when running 6.02 junes loader

when copying on the same host, there is no issue

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i didnt test ftp before

maybe it has todo with the installtion itself

normally on first boot, in the boot menu, you can choose install for Vmware or something like that

but becuase boot menu is verry fast, always the first option was selected

maybe that can cause an issue?