XPEnology Community

Setting up RAID 1

Nader

Question

Hey all,

I currently have a HP Proliant Gen 8 running XPEnology. It utilises 2x 4TB drives and 2x3TB drives running in a non raid setup. So far I have been simply backing up all my data to external drives because I need the full capacity, however, that is no longer an option as the copying the data takes a very long time.

My first option is to buy another NAS and utilise 1x4TB and 1x3TB in a RAID 1 with its respective drive. I would then do the same on the new NAS. AKA: A Backup will be stored on the NAS locally. Obviously this is not ideal, in case of an electrical surge, fire, unforseen event which destroys the NAS drives, I would also lose my backup.

What I want to do instead, is mirror an entire NAS to the other NAS that is running on the same local network. Since they will be physically separated, this will reduce that risk. This will involve buying another HP Gen 8 and the exact same drives.

I do not know if this is possible. Can someone who has more knowledge on XPEnology/Synology please inform me if it is before I make this investment :smile:. If not, would you be able to recommend an alternative?

Thank you.

7 answers to this question

What I want to do instead, is mirror an entire NAS to the other NAS that is running on the same local network. Since they will be physically separated, this will reduce that risk. This will involve buying another HP Gen 8 and the exact same drives.

sounds like what you are looking for is shared folder sync (replicate 1:1 to another NAS): https://www.synology.com/en-uk/knowledg ... foldersync

For the backup NAS i woudnt use a raid 1 setup as its the backup devicec you just need the storage capacity, or you want to go double save

Hmm, I've looked into this and I don't see this 'RSync' option in my settings. All I can see is Windows File Service, Mac File Service and NFS Service and the other tabs show FTP, TFTP, PXE and WebDAV settings. Apologies for my ignorance, but perhaps this option hasn't been made available in XPEnology?

A little confused, why isn't the setting there on my current NAS? (What if I want my current one to be the destination?)

Again sorry for ignorance, this isn't my forte, I just need to make sure this setting works before buying a second one :razz:.

Does it perhaps see another NAS on the network and then the setting is visible? Do I need to have empty hard drives?