XPEnology Community

Guide: Change serial number and MAC address

DHD

Great info here. Thanks everyone. I have a N54L running trantor's 4.3 now. Just wanted to edit the vender file with the real MAC address but got stuck. Went through previous posts but didn't get the answer. Maybe it's just too trivial and people didn't even think it was an issue.

Anyways, how did you guys find out the physical MAC address? Do I need a monitor attached to the N54L and get into the BIOS? Any info is welcome!

mac address is listed in in the dmesg output

type dmesg | grep "eth"

and you will find it like so

SC933> dmesg | grep "eth"

[ 38.971878] jme: JMicron JMC2XX ethernet driver version 1.0.8

[ 40.538825] eth%d: 0xffffc9000007a000, 00:24:1d:d6:77:28, IRQ 46

[ 71.291808] usbcore: registered new interface driver ethub

[ 72.009685] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready

[ 77.013767] r8168: eth0: link up

[ 77.015628] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready

It worked great! Thanks a lot of the info. Probably OP can consider adding this to the guide as well. :smile:

mac address is listed in in the dmesg output

type dmesg | grep "eth"

and you will find it like so

SC933> dmesg | grep "eth"

[ 38.971878] jme: JMicron JMC2XX ethernet driver version 1.0.8

[ 40.538825] eth%d: 0xffffc9000007a000, 00:24:1d:d6:77:28, IRQ 46

[ 71.291808] usbcore: registered new interface driver ethub

[ 72.009685] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready

[ 77.013767] r8168: eth0: link up

[ 77.015628] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready

Hello

It is the same problem in Proxmox.

I think with all Virtual platform the problem is here.

Proxmox should be easy to change the MAC's

Something similar to

==============

Shutdown the virtual

Open ssh terminal to proxmox

eg ssh root@123.456.789.123

mount the usb image to a loopback device

mount -o rw,loop,offset=32256 /var/lib/vz/image/100/synoboot-blahblah.img /mnt/loop

use nano to edit the grub.conf file within the synoboot-blahblah.img file

nano /mnt/loop/boot/grub/grub.conf

change the file from eg

===================
#serial --unit=0 --speed=115200
#terminal serial
default 0
timeout 3
fallback 0

title DSM 4.3-3810 - v1.0
root (hd0,0)
# vender /vender show
# hw_model
kernel /zImage root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=22 netif_num=2 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs mac1=00241DD67728 mac2=XXXXXXXX sn=B3J4N00355
initrd /rd.gz

to

===================

#serial --unit=0 --speed=115200

#terminal serial

default 0

timeout 3

fallback 0

title DSM 4.3-3810 - v1.0

root (hd0,0)

# vender /vender show

# hw_model

kernel /zImage root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=2 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs mac1=00241DD67728 mac2=XXXXXXXX sn=B3J4N00355

initrd /rd.gz

save the file and quit nano

unmount the loopback device

unmount /mnt/loop

copy (overwrite your proxmox's boot hdd with this file)

cp /var/lib/vz/image/100/synoboot-blahblah.img /var/lib/vz/image/100/vm-100-blahblah.raw

restart up the vm

I am trying to Edit my Serial Number and MAC address. I've installed Xpenology under Windows 7 64-bit and using Oracle VM Virtualbox. When I try to use WINSCP the vendor file isn't available. I've tried using IMDisk and when I mount the .vmdk I get an error saying the drive needs to be formatted (volume doesn't contain a recognized file system). I even downloaded a trial version of VMWare Workstation and tried to "Map Virtual Disk" and get the same error message as IMDisk.

@JoeBob256 if you grab the Ext2Fsb and reboot, then you can mount the Synoboot .IMG file with ImDisk. From there you can copy the vender file and edit the MAC's

Since I don't own any MSOffice products I am grateful to Markus Konig for his patcher.

My Question: I take it the serial numbers are not directly tied to the values of the MAC addresses? And they're only necessary if I am running multiple DSMs

Thanks z-vap. I'm not sure what I missed. Maybe I didn't reboot after loading Ext2Fsb. I thought I had but that's the only thing that makes sense.

I don't really know if the serial number are tied to the MAC addresses but I wouldn't think they would be. I think running multiple DSMs would require changing the MAC address and serial number, but also if you want to make the DSM available on the internet.

2 MicroServers

I have ESXI 5.5 installed on a 16GB MicroSD in an HP GEN8 Microserver, my VMs ( Xpenology ) reside on a standalone hard drive and data is in a separate volume also.

now trying to figure out how to change the MAC Address and Serial number in the 2 Xpenology boxes I have built so they don't conflict on my network.

1. /volumeUSB1 is empty

2. No vendor file

3. cant find grub.conf ( trying to mount vdmk to see if in can get to it. not shur what to do though )

-----------------------------------------

Equipment

HP MicroServer GEN 8

RAM____________ HP 16GB

CPU____________ Intel G1610T

MicroSD ________ Sandisk 16GB________ESXi 5.5 OS

Controller_______SATA __B120i__ACHI Mode

Disk-0 HDD___________WD RE4 2TB__Independent Data

Disk-1 HDD___________WD RE4 2TB__Independent Data

Disk-2 HDD___________WD RE4 2TB__Independent Data

Disk-3 HDD___________WD RE4 2TB__Independent Data

Disk-4 HDD___________Seagate 500GB______50GB VM-Datastore

Any help you be greatly appreciated.

I have another issue but with DSM 4.3.

Everything works fine but I can't change the Mac adress. I succeded to download and modify the vendor file via winscp but I'm unable to replace the original file (the SD card is not protected), I have a denied permission to modify this file.

Do you have an idea?

Everything works fine but I can't change the Mac adress. I succeded to download and modify the vendor file via winscp but I'm unable to replace the original file (the SD card is not protected), I have a denied permission to modify this file.

Do you have an idea?

Do you have an idea?

Thanks a lot!

It works now :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I am a newbie to Xpenology....

I tried to search for the vendor file in the boot usb, but windows cannot read from the usb drive (require to format it first)... :sad:

Also I tried WinSCP to log into my system as root, but it keep on fail to start the session....(I can log into the Diskstation through admin account...)

Appreciate if there are any method for me to obtain the vendor file and modify it....many thanks!