XPEnology Community

Guide: Change serial number and MAC address

DHD

in the presence of the correct or valid S/N and MAC-address it works great, I have the right pair (s/n and mac-address), I know how to use DDNS service and believe they set for me, I need Push Service

Using/abusing Synology's resources like that isn't very cool though is it? :roll:

in the presence of the correct or valid S/N and MAC-address it works great, I have the right pair (s/n and mac-address), I know how to use DDNS service and believe they set for me, I need Push Service

Using/abusing Synology's resources like that isn't very cool though is it? :roll:

that's true

Hi all,

My DDNS can't be used with XPEnology, so I tried to register for Synology DDNS.

Before editing the serial and MAC address I got an error message that I can't register more then 5 accounts per day, while I was trying to register for Synology DDNS. Now, with my new S/N and MAC XPEnology is running fine, but get an error because my password is not right for Synology and can't register... Is there a solution for this? Thank you in advance!

Hi all,

My DDNS can't be used with XPEnology, so I tried to register for Synology DDNS.

Before editing the serial and MAC address I got an error message that I can't register more then 5 accounts per day, while I was trying to register for Synology DDNS. Now, with my new S/N and MAC XPEnology is running fine, but get an error because my password is not right for Synology and can't register... Is there a solution for this? Thank you in advance!

Rather than use Synology's DDNS service try DNS Dynamic https://www.dnsdynamic.org, I've been using it now for a couple of months without any issues.

You will need to edit /etc.defaults/ddns_provider.conf & add the following at the end of the file in order to make it work though.

[dnsdynamic.org]

modulepath=DynDNS

queryurl=www.dnsdynamic.org/api/?hostname=__HOSTNAME__&myip=__MYIP__

• 2 weeks later...

Technically I agree with you.

However if you're using XPEnology for production, I think you're already using/abusing Synology's ressources anyway, so I don't see the fuss. :wink:

• 1 month later...

Hi. I am having problem editing the vendor file :sad:

I can connect to the sinology whit WinSCP whit scp and ftp butt not sftp. and when I logg in as root to scp and ftp I cant find the vendor file. just @tmp, boot and zImage. no vendor file. what am I doing wrong? want to change the mac address so I don't get hacked. or don't I have to do that with the nanoboot 5.0.2.4 and 4482 pat file? I just have the server in my home in the network.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I setup an AMD system with 5.0 using a USB drive and everything worked out fine. I had no issues editing the vender file. I have now switched focus to getting an Intel SS4200 NAS converted over. I am booting from a compact flash card (IDE adapter) and the installation went quite well. I am having issues changing the MAC address. I think it is lack of *Nix knowledge. When I WinSCP over to the box, instead of getting a mount point for the USB stick, I just have \root and a SYN_DATA fodler. Presumably, I need to create a mount point for the CF card. I will muscle through this, but I thought I'd share since others who "cant find the vender file" may be suffering the same problem.

EH

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey dudes, thx for all your great work and effort.

I have installed the linux ext2 filesyten on my "work" pc, taken the usb from my "diskstation" computer and pluged it in to the "work" pc, found the vender file and open it with the "XPEnology Vender File Patcher v1.0.0.1" and randomized it all and patched the venderfile and overwrote the one from usb.

Pluged it back to my "diskstation" computer and booted it up, however the mac adresse is the same in the synology assistent as before, and the serial is also the same.

But if i open the vender files i created with random patches the hex values aint the same.

Which leads us to the questions I would like to ask, is things then ok or did i something wrong ?

Thx in advance

mengis the menace :smile:

Synology_Assistant_2014_10_11_16_45_48.png

• 3 months later...

Hello,

how can i get QuickConnect support in my Virtualbox DSM?

I used XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.1-5022.0.iso and DSM_DS3615xs_5022.pat to creat my DS.

The DS is in my new xpe_5.1-5022.vdi installed.

More info you can get:

http:__//xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5029

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5029

Thank you, for your help.

Greetz

xpenx

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok... It seems there is a simpler fix for people with no Vendor File..

First of all there is a file on the forum that generates SN and MAC addresses... I'm not sure how to add stuff but it's easy to find..

Open the syslinux.cfg file on the Boot USB, I used WinSCP to do this.

Change the SN and add after mac1=(The generated number from the spreadsheet). Don't put any dash in just the numbers and letters..

Save and restart..

I got this to work for me... It's confirmed changed in Synology Assistant and Control Panel.

Also MyDS is working.

• 3 weeks later...

HI,

I just recently installed Xpenology on an older PC & it is running DSM 5.1-5022 + Update 5. I am having many issues with your tutorial. To be honest, none of the steps are working for me as you have outlined. I used a spare drive with Windows 7 to get the MAC address from the PC.

1) The Excel generator (step 2 of this tutorial) gives me a new serial number based on the MAC address and the SN HEX code changes, but does not give me a new MAC address to go along with it. The cell for MAC HEX code No.1 fills in with "Recheck your MAC address". Why are there 1-4 cells for MAC addresses?

2) When I use WinSCP to login to my NAS as root from my host PC, I do not see my USB boot disk as seen in your screen capture.

Needless to say, I have been unable to find the "vendor" file or use the HEX editor. I am stuck.

I know that I can edit the "syslinux.cfg" file directly on the USB key, but without a new MAC address there is not much I can do.

Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I am a newbie in this great project. So far I have successfully installed DSM 5.1 on an old Acer REVO3600 with Intel ATOM 230 inside and a 3GB Ram. Very happy with it. Then I wanted to have WOL and found this guide:http://xpenology.me/how-to-activate-wol/ which mentions as requirement to WOL:

Validity pair of MAC address and serial number

I tried to follow this guide here: http://xpenology.me/how-to-generate-synology-mac-and-serial-valid-pair/ but with no luck.

I seem to have lost the concept here. I don't understand what happens with the PC's real MAC. Do we have to change it by flashing the NIC? Do we need to change just the syslinux.cfg file by putting a fake (or the real ) NIC's MAC?

If somebody could clarify it for me , it would be really appreciated .

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying to figure out the details of changing the serial and MAC as well. I am reading a lot of people saying this does not work on 5.2. Is that true? I understand how the Excel doc works and how to change the serial in syslinux.cfg. I'm mostly confused on the MAC. Do you have to flash the NIC to do this, or can you simply add mac1=xxxxxxx or mac1:xxxxxxx to the boot line in syslinux.cfg as well? Can anyone actually confirm this works for 5.2. I'd like to be able to use autoconnect.

What is the format of MAC address?

Just a continuous line of numbers and letters?

Or with - or : separating?

Also I can use the legit MAC of my mobo with the new method and generate a serial with the generator and it will show as legit?

And able to use all the Synology features?