XPEnology Community

Guide: Change serial number and MAC address

DHD

I've searched the entire thread, and i understand how to calculate checksums from MAC addresses and serial numbers.

But what I haven't seen is the method of calculating the Serial number itself. I generated few of them with different mac addresses, and I can see there is a pattern involved, but I don't know what the pattern is.

So if somebody could tell us here how to calculate the SN manually too, that would be excellent. :grin:

Thank you.

EDIT : DHD, i hope you can forgive me, but i looked into your formula of an excell file. So, basically, Serial Number is calculated random? 10 random chars + checksum ?

Sorry I am a newbie to Xpenology....

I tried to search for the vendor file in the boot usb, but windows cannot read from the usb drive (require to format it first)... :sad:

Also I tried WinSCP to log into my system as root, but it keep on fail to start the session....(I can log into the Diskstation through admin account...)

Appreciate if there are any method for me to obtain the vendor file and modify it....many thanks!

Install a program called Ext2Fsd (presumably on Windows?) and that will let you be able to mount the drive properly and view the contents.

Anyone who wants to know their real mac address on a HP N54L could simply attach a display (i used my TV with a VGA cable), boot the server, wait for the HP welcome screen to go away and display a few options where F10 is specified to take you to BIOS settings and there is one more option (F12 may be?). Press F10 on the keyboard (if you have one attached to your server). This will take you into your BIOS settings. I am not a 100% sure whether it is the default screen that gets displayed or the next one (pressing the right arrow key once) which takes you to the hardware setup/info tab. Scroll down to the bottom and it lists your REAL mac address (for the default network card installed) there. I did this before I installed xpenology on the server to note down my real mac address and update the vendor file. The real serial number of your machine is also listed there. You dont have to install an OS first to lookup your real mac address and serial number. It is listed in the BIOS settings.

Anyone who wants to know their real mac address on a HP N54L could simply attach a display (i used my TV with a VGA cable), boot the server, wait for the HP welcome screen to go away and display a few options where F10 is specified to take you to BIOS settings and there is one more option (F12 may be?). Press F10 on the keyboard (if you have one attached to your server). This will take you into your BIOS settings. I am not a 100% sure whether it is the default screen that gets displayed or the next one (pressing the right arrow key once) which takes you to the hardware setup/info tab. Scroll down to the bottom and it lists your REAL mac address (for the default network card installed) there. I did this before I installed xpenology on the server to note down my real mac address and update the vendor file. The real serial number of your machine is also listed there. You dont have to install an OS first to lookup your real mac address and serial number. It is listed in the BIOS settings.

I got mac to change successfully but having trouble with serial #. When i try inputting my serial # into the excel file, it tells me the cell is protected and cannot be edited. Can someone please help?

Not sure I'm right.

But If I understand well the Excel file is used to generate the "new serial" linked to your real MAC adresses. You will have to use it as an imput to update your serial.

So for me it's not an issue.

Hi,

First sorry for my english it's very sad !

Trying to mount .vmdk for ESXi in Imdisk but it doesn't work => Windows want to format the partiton

I'm running Win 7 64bits, I've installed Ext2fs and it run under admin

It's work for .vdi for VirtualBox I can see the vendor file.

I don't understand, someone have issue ?

Thanks

Evening,

Am i correct in thinking that I can take the boot USB from my system and plug it into my pc to edit the file. If so, how can I edit the file as the USB is write protected?

Thanks

My USB stick wasn't write protected and I was able to edit the USB file on my PC. Must be something to do with your USB stick.

The only reason for doing this is if you want to have another server on the same (internal) network. Mac addresses are supposed to be unique the first part actually refers to the manufacturer, but any numbers will do as long as they are not used by any other network device on the same network.

I looked at this thread because what concerns me more is the actual serial number we (with this modified version of synology 4.3) are all using, eventually I suppose synology will find a way to block it?

I seem to be having trouble accessing the root file system using WinSCP. I'm running DSM 4.3 on Virtualbox with a fixed IP. The SFTP service is set to run with Port 22 in the Control Panel but I get errors like "Unexpected end of SFTP stream" in CyberDuck and "Is the host running an SFTP server" in WinSCP. I have no problem accessing the Shared Folders using SFTP, just not root. Ideas?

Guys,

First of all let me thank you all for this awesome community. I've been looking around for a while and finally decided to register to the forum :smile:

I have a question and I hope one of you can help me.

My set-up:

HP Microserver N54L

Esxi 5.5 (internal USB)

Modded Bios

Moved original HDD (250 GB) op top to ODD

2x 3 TB western digital reds in JBOD

I have 3 datastores. (the 250G drive hosts all the VM's)

(MineOS, OpenVPNserver appliance, Android 4.3, WIn7, DSM5 Beta update 1)

In DSM software I created 1 Volume JBOD of the 2x 3 TB Drives)

for now everything runs ok since I just want to play around with it to create the proper set-up.

I have run through all the threads but I keep running into the fact that I am not able to change the MAC and serial.

In DSM5 software it shows that I have 3 disks (the 2 WD REDS) and a disk that runs the DSM Software?

This disk shows "not initialized", I suspect that this is where I need to change the MAC adress and serial.

Unfortunately I am not able to access this disk via Winscp or SSH. Mind you that the SSH service is enabled on the DSM. I see al the drivelisting info of the other 2 disks but not this one.

I understand that there are several ways to change the mac adress.

1) by WINSCP

2) by editing the virtual machine HDD image (wmdk)

3) putting the USB in a computer (mind you this is not applicable since it runs in a VM on Esxi)

All of the above do not seem to work, since there is no way I can find a vender file.

Can one of you provide me some guidance on how to do this?

Keep up the great work by all of you!

Ronin

:grin:

Hello!

Want to thank everyone for a super job with Xpenology!

I run N54L with UBS boot, and want to thank Mark for the nice "File Pachter" which did the job very easy. http://www.raving.at/

so I made this:

1. Log in to DSM via assists (usually) start the File Station

2 copy simply over "vendor file" to my PC via File Station.

3 drove Markus File Pachter on "vendor file" on my PC. Edit MAC and make random serialnr.

4 Save, then wrote over it via "File Station" to USB (DSM boot stick)

5 Restart the server!

Done ..

Sorry for my bad English.

Solved by accessing the VMDK disk from a virtual machine linux mint.

Guys,

First of all let me thank you all for this awesome community. I've been looking around for a while and finally decided to register to the forum :smile:

I have a question and I hope one of you can help me.

My set-up:

HP Microserver N54L

Esxi 5.5 (internal USB)

Modded Bios

Moved original HDD (250 GB) op top to ODD

2x 3 TB western digital reds in JBOD

I have 3 datastores. (the 250G drive hosts all the VM's)

(MineOS, OpenVPNserver appliance, Android 4.3, WIn7, DSM5 Beta update 1)

In DSM software I created 1 Volume JBOD of the 2x 3 TB Drives)

for now everything runs ok since I just want to play around with it to create the proper set-up.

I have run through all the threads but I keep running into the fact that I am not able to change the MAC and serial.

In DSM5 software it shows that I have 3 disks (the 2 WD REDS) and a disk that runs the DSM Software?

This disk shows "not initialized", I suspect that this is where I need to change the MAC adress and serial.

Unfortunately I am not able to access this disk via Winscp or SSH. Mind you that the SSH service is enabled on the DSM. I see al the drivelisting info of the other 2 disks but not this one.

I understand that there are several ways to change the mac adress.

1) by WINSCP

2) by editing the virtual machine HDD image (wmdk)

3) putting the USB in a computer (mind you this is not applicable since it runs in a VM on Esxi)

All of the above do not seem to work, since there is no way I can find a vender file.

Can one of you provide me some guidance on how to do this?

Keep up the great work by all of you!

Ronin

Hi,

can someone help me please, how to mount ESXi boot hd (vmdk) to the running xpenology, able to edit the specific "vender" file?

I've tryed:

mount /dev/sdxx /mnt

mount /dev/hdxx /mnt

but none of variations worked me. What is the name of the boot disk, that I can mount?

I also tryed boot with a live ubuntu DVD, but it is terrible slow, and somehow broke vender file although

I used vi and %!xxd editing mode... :sad:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Who can help me, how to change mac-address gnoboot-alpha10.5-vfat, need for work push service and quickconnect?

Hi,

where is the need for changing the MAC-add ? gnoboot implemented read out for the real MAC-add. BTW Quickconnect is a service which is offered by Synology. From my point if view you shuold use another DDNS-service, because the original one wouldn't work correctly - am I right community? I am using another service and everything is fine, because I couldn't authorize properly --> I didn't pay for the original system.

Hi,

Who can help me, how to change mac-address gnoboot-alpha10.5-vfat, need for work push service and quickconnect?

Hi,

where is the need for changing the MAC-add ? gnoboot implemented read out for the real MAC-add. BTW Quickconnect is a service which is offered by Synology. From my point if view you shuold use another DDNS-service, because the original one wouldn't work correctly - am I right community? I am using another service and everything is fine, because I couldn't authorize properly --> I didn't pay for the original system.

in the presence of the correct or valid S/N and MAC-address it works great, I have the right pair (s/n and mac-address), I know how to use DDNS service and believe they set for me, I need Push Service