XPEnology Community

Bridging LAN Ports in XPEnology to Add Switch Functionality

Octavean

I came across this thread when looking into the subject of trying to get LAN ports to act as a switch in XPEnology / DSM:

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... tl#p293971

If you don't want to translate and go through all the posts, here's quick how to:

1) enable ssh in control panel -> terminal

2) login via putty - ssh: root : user_admin_password_should_work :smile:

3) > su

4) change the IPs for your network before (omit Synology#):

Synology# insmod /lib/modules/stp.ko

Synology# insmod /lib/modules/bridge.ko

Synology# brctl addbr br0

Synology# brctl stp br0 off

Synology# ifconfig br0 192.168.2.100 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

Synology# brctl addif br0 eth0

Synology# brctl addif br0 eth1

Synology# ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.100 promisc up

Synology# ifconfig eth1 192.168.2.200 promisc up

Synology# route add default gw 192.168.2.1 dev br0

5) check with Synology# brctl show

6) if everything works you want to create a script which makes this work after the restart

7) vi /usr/syno/etc.defaults/rc.d/create-bridge.sh

8) insert previous commands (of course without Synology#) and save

9) chmod 755 /usr/syno/etc.defaults/rc.d/create-bridge.sh

10) restart and test

Good luck.

To which I would add:

Instead of using typical Ethernet ports one could add a few low cost Dual Port SFP+ 10GbE NIC cards to act as a cheap 10GbE switch. Then expand the process to more then just bridging two ports.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Oct.

Even if you do packet forwarding the fast path, without involving all the TCP/IP stack built into the linux kernel, all the forwarding sill needs to be handled by your processor. Try some 1G links and see how much you can saturate them. I highly doubt that you'll gain benefits from 10GE interfaces, because your CPU probably won't be able to forward that much traffic.

I'm not in the position to try this yet but it has been pointed out to me (before posting this thread) that a Quanta LB6M 10GB 24-Port SFP+ Switch (with or without Dual Power Supply) can come in on e-bay for less then ~$250 USD. That is an incredibly cost effective and robust solution IMO. So that would be my go to option as soon as I am ready to cough up the ~$250 and risk a venture on e-bay. In the interim this or a VyOS solution with a similar purpose / configuration remains a possible option.

Even if full 10GbE speeds are not attainable it's still a boon if one can go beyond 1GB speeds.

For the here and now though I would only realistically need 10GbE speeds for my server and NAS. So a DAC link between the two and a single port SFP+ NIC on each is all that is really needed.