XPEnology Community

How to run DSM on Thecus N5810

850cc

A few months ago i got a very cheap (350€) Thecus N5810 and thought that i had a great product.

The hardware is indeed great but their software is crap compared to DSM. After testing the xpenology on 4 different computers i was convinced to run DSM on my thecus.

The N5820 uses a intel processor and is also available with windows storage server. I have the linux version.

I then started experimenting and found that the thecus boots even without HD's inserted. This means that there must be internal storage like a memory card. I opened the box and inspected the motherboard, there i found a 4GB usb like stick with a label from Thecus and the version. After some searching the net i found that this a so called DOM (Disk On Module). The connecter is a plain 10-pin USB.

This article pulls a thecus apart and you will see what i mean : http://www.eteknix.com/thecus-n5810-pro ... -review/2/

The next challenge is to get a normal USB stick in there. From an old computer i ripped a cable going from 10-pin usb to female USB 2. Next i installed the xpenology bootloader on a 16GB USB stick like you would do for a normal pc with no tricks and no hacking.

After inserting the stick and booting the thecus HHHOOOEEERRRAAA, the synology assistant found the thecus. I installed the PAT file without any problems. Then created a disk group of 4 drives and volume of 5.4TB.

I have put about 2TB of data on there with zero problems and at 100MB/s, also tried a few apps like plex, sabnzb and works ok.

PS : Ordered this converter so i can fit a usb stick inside http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281281202819

Bye bye thecus :grin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I was also bothered by the bad software with long waits for updates, the hardware is great though.

You can also order https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-Ne ... 52700.html

Then you can connect something like an SSD to the mainboard (see reviews of W5810 where you can put it and where it is connected)

It is essentially the same mainboard as the W5810 that includes an SSD.

Remove the DOM module and save it for later.

And then just install any OS including Windows 10 etc. (sure it's a NAS, but it IS possible and works fine...)

You need to adjust some bios settings too, I forgot what one, but then it just boots from USB and you can install any OS.

Currrently I am using Ubuntu Server 16.04.2 LTS.

You will need some more technical knowhow to set it up then just a NAS OS, but then you will just have a full server with everything you want + updates when something is released instead of waiting for someone to release some module software update.

I did not manage to get the LCD working properly though. It hangs on "Starting..."

bastian433 said:

Currrently I am using Ubuntu Server 16.04.2 LTS.

You will need some more technical knowhow to set it up then just a NAS OS, but then you will just have a full server with everything you want + updates when something is released instead of waiting for someone to release some module software update.

thats just the case for such closed up systems (appliances) like dsm from synology or qnap systems

when it comes to features Open Media Vault (OMV) will be similar (nas with nfs/samba/web gui + plugins)

but updates for the base system come from the debian repositorys so most security realted stuff is fixt asap

(its still my fallback choice when dsm will give me to much headache, as long an the raid on the dsm powered box just uses lvm and mdadm you just have to stick in a usb thumbdrive with omv and powerup, the raid with the data will be recognized and you can access your data)

like always it depends on what your prioritys are, xpenology also has its weaknesses

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi All,

I just finshed installing N5200 Pro  with 32 bits version of Xpenology.

Unfortunately i'm only able to use the DS411 DSM 2.3 on this box, all other 36xx and 34xx version don't work on this box, they hang during the disk init.

Does anyone have a later version of DSM working on 5200? Or is it possible to inject drivers on the DS36xx version to get the storage controller working?

Any help to get a newer version is most welcome, unfortunately i cannot use X86_x64 versions as the cpu is I686.

Cheers,

Hemant