XPEnology Community

i need help, maybe i lost everythings after new install over old

hi guys. today is a bad day, very bad

after a reload i can not access to network from my xpenology (DSM_DS3617xs_23739)

in my network i can find the ip over the ip scan but cannot access

from latest change i went to find.synology.com and done a new installation and cannot access to network again

now i've lost everything from my old location? what can i do for safe almost the files backuped in there? 

i've to do a new clean installation with the same loader and file.pat?

what can i do for access to network?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2022 at 4:35 PM, plaster said:

in my network i can find the ip over the ip scan but cannot access
from latest change i went to find.synology.com and done a new installation and cannot access to network again

my guess ihere would be you use loader 1.03b and did load the latest dsm version (automatic search) from internt, that results in dsm 6.2.4 and jun's 1.03b laoder can only handle 6.2.3 update3, if its 6.2.4 then it will fail on boot and you cant access loader or system anymore (kernel of new dsm was copied to the usb while "updating" and on next boot (when the new dsm version is supposed to be installed) the boot fails in you stuck with a system not booting anymore (no network access)

On 12/2/2022 at 4:35 PM, plaster said:

now i've lost everything from my old location? what can i do for safe almost the files backuped in there? 

no, you just lost access to your data, DSM update is only accessing your system partition (of dsm, first partition on every disk 2.4GB as raid1 over all disks)  and the usb loader (copy new kernel zImage and rd.gz to 2nd partiton of the loader)

but i think its a little more complicated, you already had unexplained behavior here

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/65849-added-new-hard-drives-but-not-found-in-xpenology-dsm-62-23739/

and my guess from that is as you use a raid controller (adaptec 5805) that most like cant use "raw" disks as dsm would need your disks might be configured as raid volumes in the controller and either be used

1. raid0 for every single disk - so dsm sees every disk and can work its usual way by using single disks for building a raid volume

2. disks where grouped as adaptec hardware raid and where seen in dsm as one single disk

a simple try that does not have any impact on the situation might be to create a open media vault boot usb drive on another computer and swap that one with your dsm usb boot device, booting omv might detect the data raid volume of your drives by itself and you can access the system by OMV's easy to use web gui to configure a share you can use for backup

its also possible to get a better look of whats there with a running linux system to plan what to do next

dont change anything on the controller or swap out an drives, keep it the way it is until you know whats the situation

if you have a backup (or not) you next choices are getting back to the original loader by reverting the (presumably) started/unfinished dsm update or try to get to a new loader and continue updating to 6.2.4 or 7.1 (as of the unusual and not suggested raid controller you need to care about a driver in the loader for that, its a additional driver that need to added as its most likely not supported in jun's original driver set and might not work in the new loader)

also important safe the 1.03b loader in its state as it is now, most important would be grub.conf on 1st partition

extra.lzma from 2nd partition (thats where drivers are located and from that we can tell if its a generic or extended/added driver set) and nice to have zImage and rd.gz from the 2nd partiton (to see what dsm version that files belong to, beside the file date an size, rd.gz can be unpacked and will tell you exactly what version it is)

you can copy the usb (bootable and everything)  to a file with Win32DiskImager 1.0, that way you can reproduce it it needed and also can extract files for having a look and evaluate whets going on

it might also be possible to go into the adaptecs bios and see whats its raid configuration (disks group in a raid set or every disk as raid0)

collection information and getting the picture without changing things is the thing for now (if you want your data from the disks)

depending on the situaltion you can also involve professional data rescue service providers like ontrack or convar (do not choose any random company, you might end up with some cheap but unreliable that might even "take you data hostage" when you have send in your disks)