XPEnology Community

HDD doesn't hibernate / TCRP 0.9.3.0 / DSM 7.1.1-42962 update 2 / HP microserver gen8

mandgeo

I sure think i've posted my configuration on title. :D

The problem ...
scemd generates alot of errors, that are written on log file. File located on DSM partition. As far as I understand, DSM is replicated on every drive on system, so my hard drives doesn't get the chance to sleep.

Dec 01 09:54:13 SyNAS scemd[14480]: oob/oob_reg_read.c:46 Read OOB reg 316 failed, ret=-1
Dec 01 09:54:23 SyNAS scemd[14480]: oob/oob_reg_read.c:46 Read OOB reg 316 failed, ret=-1
Dec 01 09:54:33 SyNAS scemd[14480]: oob/oob_reg_read.c:46 Read OOB reg 316 failed, ret=-1
Dec 01 09:54:43 SyNAS scemd[14480]: oob/oob_reg_read.c:46 Read OOB reg 316 failed, ret=-1
Dec 01 09:54:53 SyNAS scemd[14480]: oob/oob_reg_read.c:46 Read OOB reg 316 failed, ret=-1
Dec 01 09:55:03 SyNAS scemd[14480]: oob/oob_reg_read.c:46 Read OOB reg 316 failed, ret=-1
Dec 01 09:55:03 SyNAS scemd[14480]: polling_hdd_backplane.c:39 ioctl device failed

There is also docker who writes something at regular interval, but it's a baby compared to scemd.

What have I done so far? I've managed to stop generating the scemd log file, by editing /etc.defaults/syslog-ng/patterndb.d/scemd.conf. The problem is that the messges are also written in /var/log/messages file. 

I've tried to create a filter, so that error messages could not be generated, but with no effect. 

What's the approach should i take in this case? Where are this messages coming from? I saw DSM 6 users complaining about this problem.

I've also tried to play with TCRP  user_config.json. I've changed maxdrives and internal sata parameters (maybe not the exact names), with no effect. 

Thank you!

No solution. I've managed to stop loging oob errors in message, but drives doesn't sleep.

Test made today. Hibernation set to 10 minutes. iostat from 60 to 60 seconds and believe me that i have mode than 10 readings showing zero activity on sda, sdc &sdd. The result is active status, zero hibernation. If I remember well, sdc&sdd are part of raid 1 array.
External hard drives are showing stanby.

So, after this test, I can only conclude that the problem is not related with logs.

test.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Same here.. I can't seem to get the drives to hibernate and by extension the whole system via the 'auto poweroff' feature.

Things I've tried so far:

• Editing the file '/etc.defaults/syslog-ng/patterndb.d/scemd.conf' so that '/var/log/scemd.log points to /dev/null'
  • Using  hdparm -Y /dev/sdx to put the drives on standby mode - they quickly resume, even drives not used by DSM (Uninitialized)
  • Tried this supposed solution - it didn't work 
  • Wiped the drive clean and reinstalled DSM from scratch then tested with only the default apps installed

Specs of my system:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2

Processor: i5-3470

Drive: Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00

Loader: tinycore-redpill-uefi.v0.9.4.0

Platform: DS3622xs+

DSM Version: DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 3 (Manually updated from Update 1 via ./rploader.sh postupdate)

Something else I tried.. I ran 'cat /sys/power/state' which returned 'disk' meaning that system hibernation is supported. Naturally I ran 'echo disk > /sys/power/state' as root which put the system into hibernation, so it works! I was able to wake it up with a magic packet with a notification popping up that the NAS was shutdown improperly. 

My scemd.log is full of these errors which get logged every few seconds as from the screenshot below.

Screenshot from 2023-02-04 20-48-16.png