XPEnology Community

DSM 5.2 vs. DSM 6

tomtcs

Can someone give me a run down on what is actually different in DSM 6 vs. DSM 5.2? Lots of us (me included) are trying to run DSM 6. Obviously, a lot of us are trying to run it because its new. But -- What is really different?

I've even read some posts that some of the synocommunity apps like Sonarr and NZBGet fail to work out of the box with DSM 6 but work flawlessly with DSM 5. I'm just trying to weigh out my options before i sit here with a crippled HP DL180 G6 for any longer than necessary.

Predominately DSM6 brought BTRFS as a filesystem for use which 5.2 doesn't have, it improved some of the default apps such as the cloudsync allowing multiple sub-folders below root. I'm sure there where speed improvements in DSM too, but you'd have to see the DSM 6 release list to see what it offers over 5.2

It depends.

If you are currently using a (original) Synology Nas or you don't care much of your data, go ahead and upgrade to DSM 6.0 of XPEno.

If your value data is the most important, just stay with DSM 5.2 for now.

That was honestly the answer I was looking for. DSM 5 for now - seems perfectly fine for me. I'm just wondering what I'm missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

in my opinion only the "new" designed refreshed UI when log-in. I also stay at 5.2.

If you are using DSM to storage and copy files then you are right. For me ie there is a lot new features like:

- letsencrypt

- web server with option to choose you want to use apache or nginx

- option to create and edit spreedshets and microsoft files

- mailplus server and station

- for many users most wanted btrfs

- nodejs version 4

- reverse proxy

- many more new features

in my opinion only the "new" designed refreshed UI when log-in. I also stay at 5.2.

If you are using DSM to storage and copy files then you are right. For me ie there is a lot new features like:

- letsencrypt

- nodejs version 4

- reverse proxy

- many more new features

+New official packages are only released for DSM6 and old are only updated for DSM6.

- letsencrypt

- nodejs version 4

- reverse proxy

- many more new features

Cool. Thanks for the list.

Except btrfs (maybe), as a normal home user, unfortunately I don't need the rest.