XPEnology Community

Realtek r8152 (2.5gbe USB NIC) on DSM4.1?

mack1

Been running an N54L with DSM 4.1 (DS3612xs if that matters) for a long time now. I recently bought a Sabrent 2.5gbe USB nic (uses the Realtek R8152 chip) so I wouldn't need to crack open the box but cannot for the life of me find a way to get it to be recognised.

Is it just too old a version to work? I've tried using this: https://github.com/bb-qq/r8152 but it just won't start the package, and the direct downloads from Realtek I can't figure out how to get installed with the restricted busybox/linux package.

Is it just hopeless to try and get it working? Other questions:

• There's a pcie nic that runs the Realtek 8125 that I might go with if I do decide to open it up, how do I know if that is supported so I'm not wasting my time again?
  • How would I go about upgrading from DSM4 all the way to 6.x so I can get this working, without destroying the existing volume?

Thanks.

you would need to compile you own driver for that old dsm version (kernel 3.2.40) and that might be way more complicated then using a new loader an dsm version

the hardware would still be working with dsm 7.x

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/64619-dsm-711-42962/?do=findComment&comment=346221

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/64619-dsm-711-42962/?do=findComment&comment=347902

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/64619-dsm-711-42962/?do=findComment&comment=348669

not sure what loader that is but the one i have here only supports a very limited number of hardware, not even a 10G nic seems to be there

if you shy away from setting up all new (might be needed when the system/swat partition is to small for upgrading to a recent dsm version - 2 GB and 2.4GB is the standard since at least dsm 5.x) you can still try to switch to open media vault by using a usb flash drive on it

just set up the usb flash drive on another computer completely and if its working properly boot you n54l with that one, you data (raid) volume should be usable that way (and here is no change in your now running system, if anything is off or not to your liking you can remove the usb drive and be back to normal with your former usb with the 4x loader)

it gets way more messy if start upgrading dsm, in most cases you cant go back if the upgrade fails for soem reason and you need to take care of things yourself the hard way

if the partition size for (dsm) system and swat does not match then its going to be a offload of all data and setting up new

personal i would suggest setting up a more recent new hardware with new disks, transfer all data and then set up the old hardware with a newer dsm version and use the old hardware for backups of the new system

• Like 1

Just now, IG-88 said:

personal i would suggest setting up a more recent new hardware with new disks, transfer all data and then set up the old hardware with a newer dsm version and use the old hardware for backups of the new system

Yeah that's what I've been planning (probably a 'legit' Synology box or truenas/unraid), was hoping there was a simple solution for a bit more speed but oh well, I could also use more space once I can make it work financially.

Thanks for the reply.

25 minutes ago, mack1 said:

Yeah that's what I've been planning (probably a 'legit' Synology box or truenas/unraid), was hoping there was a simple solution for a bit more speed but oh well, I could also use more space once I can make it work financially.

it still possible to do it in place but you should have some knowledge about linux and the will to learn something now on the way as it will take some time to prepare (depends on how much value has time to be invested)

• Like 1