XPEnology Community

XPEnology Configuration Tool & Bootloader DSM 6.0.2-8451

quicknick

Could do IDE, but for now just edit grub.cfg there is already a

set rmmod=''

just add ata_piix in between single quotes or edit grub from grub and add rmmod=ata_piix at end of loadlinux line.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Will this work if the drive is not set to IDE? If the drive is naturally set to SCSI, which it is Device 0, then ata_piix won't do anything and the drive will still show or have I got this wrong?

Hi, I've been waiting for a whole year to try XPEnology since I wanted to use DSM 6.0 right away. It

I downloaded the IMG file to make a bootable USB drive, then edited VID & PID before putting it in the computer. It installs but then after a reboot nothing happens.

can someone help me or send me a tutorial? It's my first time.

Thank you all :smile:

Hi quicknick.

I have a quick question here.

Can I access XPEnology Configuration Tool BEFORE a successful installation? In short, I want to set MAC + SN + VID/ PID + Sata Port Mapping + Max of disks right after I boot the nas up for the first time.

XPEnology-grub-menu.png

I tried to select "XPEnology Configuration Tool v2.2" when I see the menu at the fisrt time, but I cannot access XPEnology Configuration Tool. All I have is the screen of "Booting the kernel".

XPEnology-boot-kernel.png

Thank you for your inputs.

Ok, so never had to do this via esxi but how do I edit the grub.conf from within the booted OS? Normally, I could edit this via the USB stick when doing baremetal but using ESXi, I do not know how to access the grub file from a booted system. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Hi! I'm a bit lost :sad:

I'm using Workstation 12.5.2 on Win10Prox64.

The provided ovf in OP does not work. The VM crashes every time.

Well, thnx quicknick

now it's easy working virtual bootloader for WorkStation

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0iu0 ... WlnWEZsRmc

This one worked a bit better. I was able to build a vm with it and boot up.

BUT: I get the error, that the installation fails because of corrupted file (error 13). I also tried manually with the PAT-File from synology (MD5 matched), but no luck.

So last hope was:

But I can't import it due to incompatible hardware-options in the OVA-File.

Any help much appreciated!! :smile:

Hello. Big TNX for your work. )

But i have problem with install.

I have the same problem as here and here.

Every time PAT-file is corrupt...

SN,MAC,IP changed by Tool over SSH.

And DSM erase bootable disk after trying installation.

Tried different steps, settings, variations - the same result. :sad:(

Look.

shot_2016-12-11_033053834d8.md.png

My system: Asus H110-itx, Pentium G4400, 2x4Gb DDR4 Crucial, NIC Realtek r8168, ESXI 6.5 on SSD OCZ, correctly created VM, Two RDM 3Tb Seagate.

DSM6 Jun mod 1.01 installed and worked correctly on this system.

Hi, I've been waiting for a whole year to try XPEnology since I wanted to use DSM 6.0 right away. It

I downloaded the IMG file to make a bootable USB drive, then edited VID & PID before putting it in the computer. It installs but then after a reboot nothing happens.

can someone help me or send me a tutorial? It's my first time.

Thank you all :smile:

After reboot make sure you don't select XPEnology Configuration Tool. You Should Select the First option on the boot loader.

Hi Quicknick,

For ESXi installations, is it possible to hide the boot drive? I've tried changing the disk mode to IDE as I would for the older boot images but then the VM won't boot, changing it back makes it work fine. Leaving it as a SCSI disk means that the system tries to format the boot drive on install and I presume I won't be able to hide the drive using rmmod as it would hide my SCSI drives from the SAS HBA?

Basically, it boots fine but I want to hide the boot drive; are you able to change the esxi image to IDE and apply rmmod="ata_piix"?

Cheers,

Chris

Stop your vm and edit the settings for it; change the boot drive to non-persistent, nothing else. This will hide the boot drive on xpeno.

Quicknik,

I have a console cable connected between my primary desktop and the DL180 G6 so that I can review logs and determine what the issue is with the NIC but I don't know the username/password combination. Your documentation says to look for the root password at the end of the boot sequence, but i don't see anything listed.

I'm simply at the DiskStation login: prompt at this point. Any further assistance would be greatly appreciated.

So added some more drives, set the boot disk as non-persistent, started the install. At about 60% complete, it is erroring out with code 13 indicating the PAT file is corrupt.

System is:

VMware vSphere 6.5

OVF install from the downloads post

3 additional drives from my vSAN as a test (proper system is running 5.2 with my 9211-8is)

This setup worked fine using Jun's loader, including setting the boot disk as non-persistent.

So added some more drives, set the boot disk as non-persistent, started the install. At about 60% complete, it is erroring out with code 13 indicating the PAT file is corrupt.

System is:

VMware vSphere 6.5

3 additional drives from my vSAN as a test (proper system is running 5.2 with my 9211-8is)

This setup worked fine using Jun's loader, including setting the boot disk as non-persistent.

I am rebuilding now. In about 2hrs or so new loader will be up.

System is:

VMware vSphere 6.5

Don't set as boot as non-persistant. This is very important.

I did think that this would be the case as this stops the boot drive being written to completely. So, how would we go about hiding the boot disk from DSM as otherwise you end up with the boot drive only 11 slots available for drives without the problematic config changes that get lost on each update.

System is:

VMware vSphere 6.5

Don't set as boot as non-persistant. This is very important.

I installed about 7 times with the non-peristent option on esxi. Zero problems. Now I'm on baremetal setup but I tested again on VMware workstation and it's working just fine.

Edit: the only thing is that if you want to use the tool to edit settings (mac, sn, etc) you will not have acces to save the changes. So just finish the setup using the tool, install dsm, and only when finished go to vm settings and set the boot drive to non-persistent.

Hi there

Firstly, many thanks for all the hard work by everyone involved (Quicknick, Jun....and others)

I have been struggling all morning myself with the EXSI install.

I deploy the OVA, then add my virtual disk (300gig for test), the network name etc are all correct by default.

When i boot the VM i choose to run the tool.

I then SSH with the auth method to my VM and run the Quick setup to change the MAC /SN (no USB stuff is done)

If i try change the IP staticly via the tool at the end when it asks to confirm my changes if i hit "y" enter i gets thrown out

of the tool and it says it cannot write to the file.

If i leave this on DHCP and try to install DSM, i get the page where i can install the DSM, if i choose the file and install

it lists both the boot drive and 300gig drive so i think this is my issue....

when i proceed, it formats the drives and starts install and gets to point and the bombs out saying the file is corrupt.

is this because it is formatting the boot drive ?

I dont know how to pass the part now.

This is my first attempt at DSM6.0 and VM.

I currently have a older expnoboot 5.2 system on bare metal with HP Micro Gen8

Quicknick.....would the new boot you speak of fix this....if so...ill wait for that and try again :smile:

Hi there,

I try to install launcher on Vmware Workstation 12 and when i launch the VM i have a error "CPU is disabled buy guest reset or power off"

Install Type: VMware workstation

Issue: Launch

I import my ova (i have a error too)

I had a second hard drive in my vm

i start the vm

And after the kernel is booting nothing appens and i have my cpu disabled

Can you help me please ?

My objective is install DSM 6 from nothing it is possible with this loader ?

I'm french sorry for my bad english

Hi there

Firstly, many thanks for all the hard work by everyone involved (Quicknick, Jun....and others)

I have been struggling all morning myself with the EXSI install.

I deploy the OVA, then add my virtual disk (300gig for test), the network name etc are all correct by default.

When i boot the VM i choose to run the tool.

I then SSH with the auth method to my VM and run the Quick setup to change the MAC /SN (no USB stuff is done)

If i try change the IP staticly via the tool at the end when it asks to confirm my changes if i hit "y" enter i gets thrown out

of the tool and it says it cannot write to the file.

If i leave this on DHCP and try to install DSM, i get the page where i can install the DSM, if i choose the file and install

it lists both the boot drive and 300gig drive so i think this is my issue....

when i proceed, it formats the drives and starts install and gets to point and the bombs out saying the file is corrupt.

is this because it is formatting the boot drive ?

I dont know how to pass the part now.

This is my first attempt at DSM6.0 and VM.

I currently have a older expnoboot 5.2 system on bare metal with HP Micro Gen8

Quicknick.....would the new boot you speak of fix this....if so...ill wait for that and try again :smile:

New bootloader should resolve this. Trying to finish up, but might not have out until later today.

Hi there,

I try to install launcher on Vmware Workstation 12 and when i launch the VM i have a error "CPU is disabled buy guest reset or power off"

i start the vm

Can you help me please ?

I try with virtualbox

Hi there,

i start the vm

Can you help me please ?

I try with virtualbox

Nothing appens i don't understand why can't use with vm