XPEnology Community

XPEnology Configuration Tool & Bootloader DSM 6.0.2-8451

quicknick

I have an HP Microservser N54L. I can see it booting but it does not get an IP-address and it gives an error: Terminal "serial" isn't found. Does not matter whether I select install or run configuration tool. I checked the DHCP leases: basically I checked whether there was MAC-address that started with 38-EA (HP microserver) and pinged IP-addresses of which I was not sure.

Anybody experience with the N54L and failing NIC?

Edited by Guest

This happens every single time I go to create a BTRFS volume. Pool is entirely initialised :'(

Zwitngc.png

It never happened with Jun's 1.01 loader!

This is because I included Synolog's btrfs module in a different way. This will be fixed in 2.3.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

This happens every single time I go to create a BTRFS volume. Pool is entirely initialised :'(

Zwitngc.png

It never happened with Jun's 1.01 loader!

This is because I included Synolog's btrfs module in a different way. This will be fixed in 2.3.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Thanks for updating us quicknick :smile:

Just tested with an I354 board (Supermicro A1SAi-2750F) but no luck. Looks like I354 isn't supported. I thought it would have been covered by the I350 drivers. Is it possible I'm doing something wrong? I got number of network interfaces by running: ls -A /sys/class/net | wc -l

Also, when I select the config tool option, it only brings me to the "booting the kernel" screen instead of launching the config tool. Any thoughts?

same problem here :sad:

See my previous post.

Sorry for not providing the necessary information:

Hardware: Intel® Atom processor C2750, SoC, FCBGA 1283, 20W 8-Core

Install Type: Baremetal

NIC Model: C2000 SoC I354 Quad GbE controllers

Storage: LSI 9211 8i

Issue: perhaps Network

My network card doesn't seem to be recognized.

The driver is not in the supported drivers list.

Can this be a problem? As far as I know Synology uses the same NICs with their RS2416+/RS2416RP+ series (Intel Atom C2538)

Another issue is: I am not able to enter the config tool like Elpee described it here:

Hi quicknick.

I have a quick question here.

Can I access XPEnology Configuration Tool BEFORE a successful installation? In short, I want to set MAC + SN + VID/ PID + Sata Port Mapping + Max of disks right after I boot the nas up for the first time.

XPEnology-grub-menu.png

I tried to select "XPEnology Configuration Tool v2.2" when I see the menu at the fisrt time, but I cannot access XPEnology Configuration Tool. All I have is the screen of "Booting the kernel".

XPEnology-boot-kernel.png

Thank you for your inputs.

Could someone with better english skills please confirm if you only see the config screen via ssh?

I am under the impression one should see the menu on the screen too?

Is that correct?

I can confirm that all you will see on the main screen is what you currently see. However, if you have another computer nearby and connect the two computers between each other with the serial connections at 115200 baud rate, you'll see all the on-screen information and the configuration tool.

Hello please if somebody can help me. I can not boot img on my server. I have normal server, and try to boot XPEnology-DSM-6.0.2-8451.5-quicknick-boot-v2.2.img. I made bootable USB with Rufus. When I try to another machine, its working but on my server no. Normaly I can boot any ISO image but this img XPEnology-DSM-6.0.2-8451.5-quicknick-boot-v2.2.img not. I have black screen after when I choice USB boot. Please somebody has idea what can be. THANK YOU !

Could someone with better english skills please confirm if you only see the config screen via ssh?

I am under the impression one should see the menu on the screen too?

Is that correct?

You will only see a menu once you've SSH'ed onto your box when in Configuration Tool mode. There will be nothing further visible on your screen past "Booting the kernel". Instructions are in quicknick's post on how to get the IP address in addition on how to connect using the SSH auth key (there is no default password).

I have DSM6 already installed with Juns loader in a HP n54l (AMD). I tried to boot with this loader, manually adding to grub.cfg serial, MAC, vid and pid, and trying to boot or SSH (from a MAC) setting the default boot line from 3 to 5. It does not boot, and when I try to SSH I get "ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.100 port 22: Operation timed out".

When posting in the forum please give this information

Hardware: CISCO UCS 220 or VM

Install Type: Baremetal or VM (If VM specify ESXi or Workstation or Virtualbox or KVM)

Issue: Network or Storage or something broken

Then describe your problem. Post pictures or if you know the issue, such as my network card was not recognized.

[/size]

Here is an example of how to post:

Hardware: CISCO UCS 220

Issue: Network

My network card was not recognized

To which I will respond, is your HW in the Supported Drivers List? If it is, then do you have serial connection to show that it doesn't exist? Or if you don't have serial, how do you know your card wasn't recognized. Check your DHCP leases.

Hardware: UNAS NSC-800 with SAS Backplane

Motherboard: Supermicro a1sai-2750f with I354 LAN chpset

LSI SAS 9211-8i

Install Type: Baremetal with DSM 5 currently installed

Issue: Network/Disks not found

Network card isn't recognized (no DHCP leases). However, when I connect an AX88179 USB LAN adapter, the other NICs then show up in Synology Assistant. At this point i then get an option to install but no HDDs are detected.

Thanks for any insight!

Are the SATA ports set to AHCI?

Hi, I finally could boot XPEnology, now I'm trying to setup SHR but it doesn't seem to have this option. Am I doing something wrong? It's my first time using XPEnology BTW.

The only options I have to create a volume are RAID (0, 1, 5, 6, 10), JBOD, Basic. I Only have 1 HDD for the moment plugged in. I wanted XPEnology mainly for its SHR which can be expanded.

Thank you for your help

Here is an example of how to post:

Hardware: CISCO UCS 220

Issue: Network

My network card was not recognized

To which I will respond, is your HW in the Supported Drivers List? If it is, then do you have serial connection to show that it doesn't exist? Or if you don't have serial, how do you know your card wasn't recognized. Check your DHCP leases.

Hardware: UNAS NSC-800 with SAS Backplane

Motherboard: Supermicro a1sai-2750f with I354 LAN chpset

LSI SAS 9211-8i

Install Type: Baremetal with DSM 5 currently installed

Issue: Network/Disks not found

Network card isn't recognized (no DHCP leases). However, when I connect an AX88179 USB LAN adapter, the other NICs then show up in Synology Assistant. At this point i then get an option to install but no HDDs are detected.

Thanks for any insight!

Are the SATA ports set to AHCI?

Onboard SATA ports are disabled.

Hi,

Firstly thanks for your efforts to everyone involved to get us to a better version of Synology DSM.

However, I have failed to successfully install this onto VMWare ESXi 6.5 (using Hardware Version 10).

It always errors with the usual "Unable to install, the install file might be corroupt (13)" error.

I have checked the MD5 Sum of the package against what Synology have and the package is okay.

Unsure what to do now.

Can provide messages log if needed

Here is what I used on esxi 6.5, on a hp gen8 microserver :

https://mega.nz/#!Vk40FCDT!r2ertz7Eyoeh ... W2p1GLgzfs

It's jun's loader 1.01. Add drive and install.

If you want to modify the grub cfg you need to set the boot drive as dependent or persistent before edit. But I see no need for abusing synology services, .....

Thank you very much for the infos!

Do you have problems with slow data transfers to the hard disks connected to the internal sata ports with esxi 6.5 on a hp microserver gen8? I know that with esxi 6.0 there is a workaround by using the older sata-driver from hp for esxi 5.5 but I don't know if this currently needed at esxi 6.5

Btw:

Thanks to all devs and all members who brings life into upgrading xpenology to a newer version! It begins to get better and better. :smile:

My favorite solution is to stay at my current bare metal install at my gen 8 with VirtualBox on top but this is only possible with the sources. So I must look around for other solutions. :grin:

Do you have problems with slow data transfers to the hard disks connected to the internal sata ports with esxi 6.5 on a hp microserver gen8? I know that with esxi 6.0 there is a workaround by using the older sata-driver from hp for esxi 5.5 but I don't know if this currently needed at esxi 6.5

You can make custom installation ISO ESXi 6.5 and integrate newest needed drv.

Look at https://www.v-front.de/p/esxi-customizer-ps.html

The best manual in Russian here. :smile:

I had problem with Realtek Net.

You can make custom installation ISO ESXi 6.5 and integrate newest needed drv.

Look at https://www.v-front.de/p/esxi-customizer-ps.html

The best manual in Russian here. :smile:

I had problem with Realtek Net.

Thank you for the informations, very useful!! :smile:

I can't read Russian but the Google translator will do the work. :grin:

But the question if I still need a different driver for the sata-ports under esxi 6.5 at the hp gen8 microserver is still unanswered.

Hardware: QNAP TVS-671

NIC Model: Intel e1000

Storage: Virtual QEMU

Issue: Not able to assign USB

Hi to all, in QNAPs virtualization station it is not possible to add USB device with .img for KVM/Baremetal.

The only way to get it working is download ESXi ovf and import it as virtual new machine, but changing MAC/Serial makes it little strange to get it working and find on network, few times reboot, boot to config tool, set IP, reboot, then IP is not set, but obviously getting IP from DHCP and then it is working and able to install :smile:

Big thumb up for creating bootable ISO, i dont know where configs are stored and if they will be editable with ISO boot.

Next thing is to get console view without serial output, i believe it will be possible :smile:

Off course my donation to this project will be on its way, im fan of this, running 2 big qnaps but running virtual Syno on them :smile:

Vitek