XPEnology Community

XPEnology Configuration Tool & Bootloader DSM 6.0.2-8451

quicknick

Hello,

first thank you for the great work !!!

I want to use this under Virtualbox. But after i imported the esxi files and started the system the VM don't get a IP from my Router.

When i use a Host-Only Connection it gets a Ip from from VB. But i cannot get a ping, telnet or ssh connection.

If i use NAT then my Firewall ask my after booting to allow or not a connection to a synology server. So i think networking is working in the VM.

Sadly i cannot the the root password for today. Can u give me that for today or tomorrow? than i could look more into it. I didn't find the link to the generator.

Can u try your work under Virtualbox to run or someone else get it an can provide how to do?

I changed the VMDK from SCSI to SATA because i else got one more error while booting.

Here is the bootlog:

~ XPEnology Boot loader presented by quicknick                                   v2.2  ~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Detected hypervisor: virtualbox
kvm

:: Loading module ipmi_si                                              [FAILED]
Insert net driver(Mindspeed only)...
:: Starting /usr/syno/bin/synocfgen...                                 [  OK  ]
/usr/syno/bin/synocfgen returns 0
Exit on error [1] Loading XPEnology Configuration Tool...
Sat Dec 10 21:40:29 UTC 2016
none /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0
sys /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
none /dev devtmpfs rw,relatime,size=2012052k,nr_inodes=503013,mode=755 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
linuxrc.syno failed on 1
starting pid 6973, tty '': '/etc/rc'
:: Starting /etc/rc
:: Mounting sysfs                                                      [  OK  ]
mdadm: error opening /dev/md1: No such file or directory
rc: Use all internal disk as swap.
/etc/rc: line 107: sed: not found
/etc/rc: line 107: /usr/syno/sbin/synostgsysraid: not found
rc: No assigned swap disk (sda2) can be assembled, use all instead.
rc: Use all internal disk as swap.
/etc/rc: line 107: /usr/syno/sbin/synostgsysraid: not found
rc: No disk (sda2) can be assembled.
swapon: can't stat '/dev/md1': No such file or directory
:: Loading module acpi-cpufreq                                         [FAILED]
:: Loading module btrfs                                                [  OK  ]
mount: open failed, msg:No such file or directory
mount: mounting /dev/bus/usb on /proc/bus/usb failed: No such device
ln: /proc/bus/usb/devices: No such file or directory
:: Loading module synobios                                             [  OK  ]
udhcpc (v1.16.1) started
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:11:32:49:B8:95  
         inet addr:192.168.56.101  Bcast:192.168.56.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
         UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
         RX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
         TX packets:9 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
         collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
         RX bytes:1180 (1.1 KiB)  TX bytes:1648 (1.6 KiB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
         inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
         UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
         RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
         TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
         collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
         RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

:: Starting syslogd                                                    [  OK  ]
:: Starting scemd
:: Starting services in background
Starting findhostd in flash_rd...
Starting services in flash_rd...
Running /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/J01httpd.sh...
Starting httpd:80 in flash_rd...
Starting httpd:5000 in flash_rd...
Running /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/J03ssdpd.sh...
/usr/bin/minissdpd -i eth0
(15): upnp:rootdevice
(51): uuid:upnp_SynologyNAS-00113249b895::upnp:rootdevice
(57): Synology/synology_bromolow_3615xs/6.0-8451/192.168.56.101
(47): http://192.168.56.101:5000/description-eth0.xml
Connected.
done.
/usr/syno/bin/reg_ssdp_service 192.168.56.101 00113249b895 6.0-8451 synology_bromolow_3615xs eth0
Running /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/J04synoagentregisterd.sh...
Starting synoagentregisterd...
Running /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/J30DisableNCQ.sh...
Running /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/J80ADTFanControl.sh...
Running /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/J98nbnsd.sh...
Starting nbnsd...
Running /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/J99avahi.sh...
Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon
cname_load_conf failed:/var/tmp/nginx/avahi-aliases.conf

============ Date ============
Sat Dec 10 21:40:38 UTC 2016
==============================
Starting sshd service ...
sshd service is running with pid 8471

You must copy the text below into ~/.ssh/id_rsa in order to connect via ssh.
Make sure you chmod 600 ~/.ssh/id_rsa
==================== id_rsa ========================
-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----                                 
MIIEogIBAAKCAQEAvsK6v+E3ESClz6sDCU9SmRcSat Dec 10 21:40:39 2016

DiskStation login:

I removed all ok messages.

I think the Login comes to early to see the root password.

I forgot to add link to dsm-root-password. Updated FAQs.

What happened to rest of id_rsa? root password should be just after that.

password for today is: c12-0a02

password for Sun is: c12-0c12

password for Mon is: c12-0d01

password for Tues is: c12-0e02

Quicknick,

I'd like to say thank you for your hard work in trying to get everyone a working DSM 6 installation. I have been trying for months to get it working on my Storinator storage POD with no luck due to too many drives. I'll have to try your loader on it and see if that fixed the problem i was having.

For now -- I am trying to get a secondary box up and running: HP DL180 G6. It boots (or I think it does), but I can't find it on the network (checked the DHCP server for leases and don't see anything). I'm thinking it's not activating the network adapter based on the drivers you're not loading. Is it possible for you to load the HP100.ko file somehow. That might fix my issue.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the hard work!

Quicknick,

I'd like to say thank you for your hard work in trying to get everyone a working DSM 6 installation. I have been trying for months to get it working on my Storinator storage POD with no luck due to too many drives. I'll have to try your loader on it and see if that fixed the problem i was having.

For now -- I am trying to get a secondary box up and running: HP DL180 G6. It boots (or I think it does), but I can't find it on the network (checked the DHCP server for leases and don't see anything). I'm thinking it's not activating the network adapter based on the drivers you're not loading. Is it possible for you to load the HP100.ko file somehow. That might fix my issue.

tomtcs,

I am too having the same issue. The NIC is not activating. Are you also using a RealTek NIC?

I tried Jun's bootloader but the NICs didn't work so i assumed the NIC drivers weren't included. I just got the USB LAN adapter today so I'll try Jun's bootloader again and see if it works. I suspect something about this particular board is preventing some of the modules from loading.

Thanks for the response.

Since you now have network capabilities log in via ssh (read FAQs) and cat /var/log/messages, copy and paste into here using the BBcode

Hey quicknick, log was too long so used pastebin: http://pastebin.com/raw/Yy2MSRSZ

Thanks!

Quicknick,

That's right I missed HP100.ko. Tt will be fixed late tonight.

@Quicknick the rest of the id_rsa is not printed. It looks like i posted it. Thanks for the password now i get in. Via NAT i can ping to the Internet. Then i want to set a static ip but when i press 4 and enter it jumps directly to the submask. witch file i have to edit for that?

@A.S._id can u export a .ova so that i have all your settings? Now it will not start up.

Edited by Guest

@Quicknick the rest of the id_rsa is not printed. It looks like i posted it. Thanks for the password now i get in. Via NAT i can ping to the Internet. Then i want to set a static ip but when i press 4 and enter it jumps directly to the submask. witch file i have to edit for that?

Can you post picture?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Let's set up a static IP Address

Enter the ip address for your server: (looks like 192.168.1.22) Enter the netmask for your network: (looks like 255.255.255.0) 255.255.255.0

Enter the IP of your router: (looks like 192.168.1.1) Router IP and IP Address cannot be the same. Please re-enter a valid Router IP Address.

Enter the IP of your router: (looks like 192.168.1.1) 192.168.222.1

Your new settings will be:

Your new XPEnology IP is:

The Mask for the Network is: 255.255.255.0

Address of your Router is: 192.168.222.1

Is this informations correct? [y/n/c]: Please enter y or n!

Press [Enter] key to continue...

It jumps direct to submask..

Enter the ip address for your server: (looks like 192.168.1.22) Enter the netmask for your network: (looks like 255.255.255.0) 255.255.255.0

Enter the IP of your router: (looks like 192.168.1.1) Router IP and IP Address cannot be the same. Please re-enter a valid Router IP Address.

Could you try again? Maybe doublr enter key? Looks like you didn't fill out the first IP for Diskstation. If you have to backspace it may have gotten corrupted. Should look like what is on the XPEnology Configuration Tool section. Also this static ip is only set for the install process. After install you'll have to set Static IP in DSM.

@quicknick, good call on trying Jun's loader again. I was able to use the USB LAN adapter trick to get an IP and the LSI drivers kicked in allowing me to see the HDDs. I updated DSM, however I ended up with a degraded volume so I'll work on getting that fixed. Once that's done I'll switch to you loader again and do some more testing. If you need some more info e.g bios setting etc, let me know. thanks

Edit: Only 6 of 8 drives show in Storage Manager so I'm assuming it's not recognizing two drives for some reason

@quicknick, good call on trying Jun's loader again. I was able to use the USB LAN adapter trick to get an IP and the LSI drivers kicked in allowing me to see the HDDs. I updated DSM, however I ended up with a degraded volume so I'll work on getting that fixed. Once that's done I'll switch to you loader again and do some more testing. If you need some more info e.g bios setting etc, let me know. thanks

Edit: Only 6 of 8 drives show in Storage Manager so I'm assuming it's not recognizing two drives for some reason

If it works on his it should work here. I will take a look again at the drivers when I get a chance.

Ok so got anxious burned img to usb and edit VID/PID downloaded DSM 6 from syno, migrated, installed,reboot and viola everything seems to be working.

WHERE CAN I DONATE!

Thanks man can't wait to upgrade my 5.x going to wait for your guide!

Can I buy you a coffee?

No, but you can buy me a glass of red wine or a bottle of it [emoji3]

Hey UNSC-117, i see you're using the 8 bay UNAS also. Did you have any issues with all eight drives showing up in DSM 6? Did you make any change to sataPortMap? Thanks

Hi trublu,

When you say USB LAN adapter, which make/model did you use?

Could you try again? Maybe doublr enter key? Looks like you didn't fill out the first IP for Diskstation. If you have to backspace it may have gotten corrupted. Should look like what is on the XPEnology Configuration Tool section. Also this static ip is only set for the install process. After install you'll have to set Static IP in DSM.

I tried it 3 times. when i try to don't put anything to submask he ask me again to put the submask. i went to this screen to a serial connection.

Now i will try it again with a Ubuntu PC and Virtualbox. Before u used a Mac.

I tried it 3 times. when i try to don't put anything to submask he ask me again to put the submask. i went to this screen to a serial connection.

Now i will try it again with a Ubuntu PC and Virtualbox. Before u used a Mac.

Maybe it got messed up. I will review, but think it the config tool is legit.

For now you can do this to get up and running

DiskStation> ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.22 netmask 255.255.255.0
DiskStation> ifconfig -a
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:11:32:D8:09:76  
         inet addr:192.168.1.22  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
         UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
         RX packets:245 errors:3727 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:3727
         TX packets:346 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
         collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
         RX bytes:31229 (30.4 KiB)  TX bytes:52780 (51.5 KiB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
         inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
         UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
         RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
         TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
         collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
         RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

DiskStation> route add default gw 192.168.1.1
DiskStation> route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0

Hi trublu,

When you say USB LAN adapter, which make/model did you use?

I'm using Plugable Technologies USB3-E1000. It uses an AX88179 chipset.

Hi Quicknick,

For ESXi installations, is it possible to hide the boot drive? I've tried changing the disk mode to IDE as I would for the older boot images but then the VM won't boot, changing it back makes it work fine. Leaving it as a SCSI disk means that the system tries to format the boot drive on install and I presume I won't be able to hide the drive using rmmod as it would hide my SCSI drives from the SAS HBA?

Basically, it boots fine but I want to hide the boot drive; are you able to change the esxi image to IDE and apply rmmod="ata_piix"?

Cheers,

Chris

Great Job, as far you know, is there some problem with Intel 10Gb sfp card? the included driver are stock from synology or are compiled ?

Not sure if there is an issue, but it is compiled not OEM.

Ok, tomorrow i will try your bootloader and report.

it seems that 4 nic card are unusual for xpenology :shock:

I can't ping any address on lan connected to 10Gb card but the card seems up and running

Hi Quicknick,

For ESXi installations, is it possible to hide the boot drive? I've tried changing the disk mode to IDE as I would for the older boot images but then the VM won't boot, changing it back makes it work fine. Leaving it as a SCSI disk means that the system tries to format the boot drive on install and I presume I won't be able to hide the drive using rmmod as it would hide my SCSI drives from the SAS HBA?

Basically, it boots fine but I want to hide the boot drive; are you able to change the esxi image to IDE and apply rmmod="ata_piix"?

Cheers,

Chris

Could do IDE, but for now just edit grub.cfg there is already a

set rmmod=''

just add ata_piix in between single quotes or edit grub from grub and add rmmod=ata_piix at end of loadlinux line.