XPEnology Community

XPEnology Configuration Tool & Bootloader DSM 6.0.2-8451

quicknick

I just have a quick question,

If I use the bootloader v2.2 found on the first page, can I install it directly to USB and use it as a standalone system. I don't want to use it as VM.

Also, when quicknick releases the v2.3, how can I use the latest bootloader? On the current v2.2 does creating new volume with btrf work or would I need to wait for v2.3?

Thanks, great work by the way.

I just have a quick question,

If I use the bootloader v2.2 found on the first page, can I install it directly to USB and use it as a standalone system. I don't want to use it as VM.

Also, when quicknick releases the v2.3, how can I use the latest bootloader? On the current v2.2 does creating new volume with btrf work or would I need to wait for v2.3?

Thanks, great work by the way.

Already answered several times in this topic.....

Yes you can if the drivers you need are in (my NIC for example is not)

2.2 > 2.3 just update the loader by that time

Btrf wil work see roadmap, already works with juno loader(iam using atm)

Regards,

Dutch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Dutch.

Does anyone know if the LSI 9211-8i card will work with this bootloader v2.2? I didn't see it in the drivers page.

What's the difference with this bootloader vs Jun's?

The lsi cards mostly work as I see I other topics, all assumptions until it out and tested maybe the maker can clarify :smile:

Differences are mentioned in different topics, highest benefit I see is the loader accessible by ssh to handle tasks and a lot automation (set vid / pid, serie number etc,) and update of the boot loader online

XPEnology bootloader for DSM 6.0.2-8451.5

Welcome everyone to a new bootloader for Synology DSM 6.0.2-8451. There are many enhancements in this bootloader to make it more robust and feature rich. Included in this bootloader is a brand new purpose built configuration tool which will be discussed later in this post. Additionally, drivers have been compiled to ensure everyone can utilize this with great success. This suite, comprised of bootloader and configuration tool has been thoroughly tested and vetted to provide the XPEnology community with a reliable NAS solution.

I have to give major credit to @jun for providing information and insight on his module and Synology's kernel/code safety mechanisms. His work makes XPEnology installations pretty legit. I also have to give credit to the original XPEnology dev team. While they haven't assisted me directly, indirectly they have left some nuggets of information here and there, not to mention the ideas left in XPEnoboot.

In addition to the great work @jun and @XPEnology dev team has done, I have added numerous compilations, tweaks and script edits to make this loader work better.

Please read this thread thoroughly prior to posting questions, especially the FAQs and Installation Guide

Synology Hybrid Raid (SHR is enabled by default). You can disable it by using XPEnology Configuration Tool.

XPEnology Configuration Tool

XPEnology Configuration Tool is a complete set of utilities within XPEnology that facilitate out of box setup with many additional features. The inception of this came about when seeing so many have difficulty in preparing their systems for XPEnology. 

No longer do you need to boot to Linux/MAC/Windows to configure grub.cfg or other settings within Synology DSM. Now you can configure everything from a nice graphical menu. For those of you without serial ports or capability to access the console, do not worry. This boot loader includes telnetd and sshd out of the box. Please see the FAQs section for more information on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Dutch.

Does anyone know if the LSI 9211-8i card will work with this bootloader v2.2? I didn't see it in the drivers page.

What's the difference with this bootloader vs Jun's?

I'd like to know this as well, I'm sorry for asking twice, but does it have to be flashed to IT mode?

One more question,

Can Xpenology DSM 6.0.2 bootloader use dual xeons (will all cores be used) or will only some work and others be switched off?

Thanks

I have the following system:

Intel Dual X5650 Xeon

32GB ECC RAM

LSI 9211-8i card flashed to IT mode

5 x 3 TB Red, 3 X 2 TB Red drives

Intel 540 SSD

Intel x540T2 Nic

Benoire

I think DSM itself is limited to 8 cores, and that will include hyperthreaded too... So my dual L5630 with 16 'cores' only uses 8 of them.

If that is true, how does the synology FS3017 have Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3 (two of them)? so does this product not utilize all cores then?

Benoire

I think DSM itself is limited to 8 cores, and that will include hyperthreaded too... So my dual L5630 with 16 'cores' only uses 8 of them.

If that is true, how does the synology FS3017 have Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3 (two of them)? so does this product not utilize all cores then?

I think its the DS3615xs is limited.

Each model has a DSM associated with it that has the drivers and tools for the model, the model we're using comes in a single CPU form only. If Xpenology was compiled against a dual core rackstation then I would imagine it would utilise more than 8 cores.... Now, Synology may have changed this since DSM 6 but last I checked it only reported 8 cores.

Benoire

to bad i cant find the post back somewhere here in the forum, there is a hard limit for amont of CPU all other wil be ignored.

This was a limitation by DSM as far i understood. The WHY question related to FS3017 is not answered by this i understand, but still its for sure there is a hard limit.

I think Juno or quicknick provided that reply but not sure (as i cant find it back :evil: )

Benoire

to bad i cant find the post back somewhere here in the forum, there is a hard limit for amont of CPU all other wil be ignored.

This was a limitation by DSM as far i understood. The WHY question related to FS3017 is not answered by this i understand, but still its for sure there is a hard limit.

I think Juno or quicknick provided that reply but not sure (as i cant find it back :evil: )

I have not checked on the new loader but I did confirm on the DSM 5 loaders, only 8 cores supported in total.

I have an E5 2630L v3 which is 8 cores with hyper threading. If I do not disable hyper threading all cores past #8 are disabled, confirmed via SSH.

Thank you for sharing this with us! I was search for a fork of the SynoCommunity git project that included the open-vm-tools long time ago and couldn't find one, as it was removed from the orignal project. Finally an up to date version! Thank you!

One more question,

Can Xpenology DSM 6.0.2 bootloader use dual xeons (will all cores be used) or will only some work and others be switched off?

Thanks

I have the following system:

Intel Dual X5650 Xeon

32GB ECC RAM

LSI 9211-8i card flashed to IT mode

5 x 3 TB Red, 3 X 2 TB Red drives

Intel 540 SSD

Intel x540T2 Nic

I think the bigger why that needs to be asked is why would you "waste" that server on DSM???

b0fh

I think the bigger why that needs to be asked is why would you "waste" that server on DSM???

I tried running on FreeNAS but was unable to get the various packages to work together (nzbget, sonarr, transmission) and I find the DSM interface to be much better. I had previously installed DSM 5.2 but now want the DSM 6 since it has some nice features added.

quicknick, when will v2.3 be released?

b0fh

I tried running on FreeNAS but was unable to get the various packages to work together (nzbget, sonarr, transmission) and I find the DSM interface to be much better. I had previously installed DSM 5.2 but now want the DSM 6 since it has some nice features added.

quicknick, when will v2.3 be released?

with that hardware i would really advice you to take virtualisation as an option and make yoiur virtual machines handling different duty's between the capacity you have.

DSM can do a lot, the question is should you focus all on one. I have several VM's running to make this split and assign resource according my needs (as example)

I was planning on doing some testing of this during holidays but it seem taht the download link are temporaly disable so is there somebody that will be good enough to provide me with an earlier version.

Thanks in advance.

The downloads are on the first page. You're just not looking close enough...

:wink:

For those of you who planned to upgrade to DSM 6.0.2 during Christmas and could not yet get Quicknicks version to work, instead of patiently waiting for Quicknick to finish his work, you should take a look

at the tutorial of Polanskiman that uses Jun's loader. http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22100

I was still using a three year old version of Xpenology version (4.3) but was able to start with Jun's loader and upgrade to the lastest version (6.0.2 using DSM). with ease. Just give it a try.

@quicknick

my board has 4 SATA ports which are populated:

1 x 60gb SSD for system

3 x 3TB RAID5 for data

I also have a Marvell 88SE9215 SATA III 4 port addon card which right now has

no drives attached, how should I configure my Sata Port Map, just enter 4?

Do I have to do that again if add drives to the addon card?

also is my card (Marvell 88SE9215) supported, could not figure that out based on the drivers section on your first post?

Marvell

sata_mv : Marvell Serial ATA 88SX[56]0[48][01] PCI(-X), [67]042 PCI-X/PCIe and SOC devices.

Thank you for time and effort,

Komar

I was planning on doing some testing of this during holidays but it seem taht the download link are temporaly disable so is there somebody that will be good enough to provide me with an earlier version.

Thanks in advance.

The downloads are on the first page. You're just not looking close enough...

:wink:

The links you're talking about will return 404 errors.