XPEnology Community

XPEnology Configuration Tool & Bootloader DSM 6.0.2-8451

quicknick

People seem to be talking about things fixed in 2.3 as if they already have it.... has it been released?

No. Not officially. 2.3 is available c as an update in the Config Tool, but there is not enough room for drivers so it can get corrupted.

I still recommend waiting a few more days. 2.3 will be a much better stable release and a n lot more features and drivers than what is currnetly listed in 2.3.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

People seem to be talking about things fixed in 2.3 as if they already have it.... has it been released?

No. Not officially. 2.3beta is available as an update in the Config Tool, but there is not enough room for drivers on old bootloader so it can get corrupted.

I still recommend waiting a few more days. 2.3 will be a much better stable release and a lot more features and drivers than what is currnetly listed in 2.3.

Thanks quicknick, looking forward to its release :smile:

I see that things are becoming interesting now for upgrading to DSM 6. It took a while, but I'm happy things haven't bled out here at the XPenology community and things are even progressing thanks to you quicknick.

That said, I see that there isn't any guide for upgrading from DSM 5 as of yet. Are there any special steps to follow for doing this and is there a guide still in the making or do we have to wait for the 2.3 release.

Hi Quicknick...i dont want to be a pain in the a..i have a two questions:

2. Will be SATA controller Marvell SE9172 supported? I'd like to avoid buying new MOBO :smile: :)

2. Marvell storage is built into OEM kernel.

Unfortunatly partially only ... as SAS/e-Sata Marvell with port multiplier (FIS) is not implemented into OEM ... :cry: Still only FreeNAS as fully supporting (for NAS emulation, as Ubuntu etc. implement well the standard FIS port multiplier protocol)

Hi Quicknick...i dont want to be a pain in the a..i have a two questions:

2. Will be SATA controller Marvell SE9172 supported? I'd like to avoid buying new MOBO :smile: :)

2. Marvell storage is built into OEM kernel.

Unfortunatly partially only ... as SAS/e-Sata Marvell with port multiplier (FIS) is not implemented into OEM ... :cry: Still only FreeNAS as fully supporting (for NAS emulation, as Ubuntu etc. implement well the standard FIS port multiplier protocol)

Thats what I afraid of....also on 5.2 build my two marvel ports are disabled because they causing an issues to xpen...i'd like to really use them but apparently I need to start thinking of new MOBO....

Unfortunately it does not work with my Asrock E350m1/USB board.

Jon's loader work but this here does not.

I just can't get a network connection.

Tried bootloader without any changes and in amd mode or force install. Never gets in from router.

Edited grub.conf with Mac, video, pid and sn (values that worked with Jun's loader) but still no success.

I hope it can be fixed bootloader and config tool looks really good

Unfortunately it does not work with my Asrock E350m1/USB board.

Jon's loader work but this here does not.

I just can't get a network connection.

Tried bootloader without any changes and in amd mode or force install. Never gets in from router.

Edited grub.conf with Mac, video, pid and sn (values that worked with Jun's loader) but still no success.

I hope it can be fixed bootloader and config tool looks really good

It will work in 2.3 when it is officially released this week.

Hi,quicknick, thanks for the great work!

PC model: Foxconn nT-i1500

Serial: none

It can boot from the usb drive (sandisk cz33, as well as other two drives), but grub directly enter the command-line mode without read the config file. Turns out the reason maybe that these usb drive are recognized as hd1, not hd0 in grub. So, is there a simple way for me to modify some files to get it to work ?

PS: sata operation mode has configured to AHCI.

I specifically look for hd0, so if you have two usb's attached there is a possibility your boot usb ends up as hd1. I don't see why multiple USB media's are installed, but may need to change this if more people run into this. I may also do some logic to search and select which one is the real boot media.

Actually there was only one usb drive, no other usb media at all in my case.

I edited config files, both grub.cfg and grub-quicknick-v2.cfg, the $root and $prefix were set with search.fs_uuid result. Then, the grub bootmenu showed up correctly. But, with no lucky, I still could not boot the kernel.

Now, waiting for 2.3 is the only option i get.

BTW, there are some errors in these config files, [ -n $has_serial ] has to be modified to [ -n "$has_serial" ] for instance.

I will try again once 2.3 is release, but at this time SHR is not available.

(had to manually enter USB PID/VID as I got the / error)

I am using bare metal install, on Levono TS140 server (24GB ECC and Xeon E3-1225v3) 5xHDD

SHR will never work standard as the emulated DS1815+ is not supporting SHR in DSM 6 but there is a workarround !

The loader (2.2 has it already) can activate SHR for you, on other versions you can edit the config file of you Xpenology system to activate SHR (i used that!)

You dont need a DS1815+ for SHR support

just edit /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf
comment out/delete
supportraidgroup="yes"

then add
[b]support_syno_hybrid_raid="yes"[/b]

press F5 on you web browser

Waiting for 2.3 too, my NIC's are not recognized on Bare metal installation this will be an interesting week :grin:

Hi,

can you please provide a img for Non-UEFI systems? I still use old hardware where I need a mbr partition scheme on the usb stick. The 2.2 img is GPT based and so I cannot boot from it, because it cannot find the partitions.

Thanks

AlesE

just an other quesion..

on my mobo i have 6 SATA ports, where i only use 2 (SATA3) of them while i use 16 ports on my HBA which is the 2nd controller

When reading about "SataPortMap=xxx" then the example "SataPortMap=444" would mean 4 Ports on Controller 1, 4 Ports on Controller 2 and 4 Ports on Controller 3.

So in my case i would stupidly write "SataPortMap=216" which acutally should have an different meaning (2x Contrl. 1, 1x Contrl. 2 & 6x Contrl. 3). Is my understanding correct?

How would i remap correctly?

Thank you & BR

So i spun up a baremetal box with the current xpenology bootloader adn DS 6.0.2.

Everything seems to work fine except that i cannot create a BTRFS volume. It crashes upon creation. EXT4 seems to be working fine,

Is this a known issue?

Mentioned in posts before will be part of 2.3 release as I did understand.

I can't use current as my nic is not recognized, will test as soon 2.3 is out

So i spun up a baremetal box with the current xpenology bootloader adn DS 6.0.2.

Everything seems to work fine except that i cannot create a BTRFS volume. It crashes upon creation. EXT4 seems to be working fine,

Is this a known issue?

I have the same problem with my baremetal install on my microserver gen8

When I install the DSM update 6 the volume crashed upon creation. With update 5 is all OK

Sorry for my bad English :wink:

Hi,quicknick, thanks for the great work!

PC model: Foxconn nT-i1500

Serial: none

It can boot from the usb drive (sandisk cz33, as well as other two drives), but grub directly enter the command-line mode without read the config file. Turns out the reason maybe that these usb drive are recognized as hd1, not hd0 in grub. So, is there a simple way for me to modify some files to get it to work ?

PS: sata operation mode has configured to AHCI.

I specifically look for hd0, so if you have two usb's attached there is a possibility your boot usb ends up as hd1. I don't see why multiple USB media's are installed, but may need to change this if more people run into this. I may also do some logic to search and select which one is the real boot media.

Actually there was only one usb drive, no other usb media at all in my case.

I edited config files, both grub.cfg and grub-quicknick-v2.cfg, the $root and $prefix were set with search.fs_uuid result. Then, the grub bootmenu showed up correctly. But, with no lucky, I still could not boot the kernel.

Now, waiting for 2.3 is the only option i get.

BTW, there are some errors in these config files, [ -n $has_serial ] has to be modified to [ -n "$has_serial" ] for instance.

2.2 was released in haste, and had a few issues. This and many others are resolved in 2.3.

Hi,

can you please provide a img for Non-UEFI systems? I still use old hardware where I need a mbr partition scheme on the usb stick. The 2.2 img is GPT based and so I cannot boot from it, because it cannot find the partitions.

Thanks

AlesE

2.3 includes mbr bios and 32bit and 64bit UEFI.

Is this a known issue?

Yes. Resolved in 2.3. Read the roadmap people.

Hi

I'm having issues getting my System upgraded from DSM 5.2 to 6

Hardware: HP Microserver G7 N54L - AMD Turion™ II Neo N54L (2.2GHz)

Install Type: Baremetal AMD (& Baremetal & Forced Install)

NIC Model: NC107i which is Broadcom BCM5723 chipset (on the Supported List)

Storage: Embedded AMD SATA (Works on XPENOLOGY DSM5.2)

Issue: Network

I have concluded that my network card is unrecognized, I do not have a serial port connection but I do not get any DHCP lease and have used IP Scanner to no avail.

Yet the chipset is on the supported list. Does anyone else have this issue?

I've tried find.synology.com with no luck, and I have tried the usb boot stick I have written on a different machine and that does work.

Any tips would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

Brynn Harrison