XPEnology Community

XPEnology Configuration Tool & Bootloader DSM 6.0.2-8451

quicknick

Hi Quicknick...i dont want to be a pain in the a..i have a two questions:

1. How long should we wait for upgrade procedure?? Approximately....days, weeks, months?? Or we just have to use juns boot loader and do the upgrade. Not sure if i should wait or start screwing my own stuff :smile: :) btw...very very thx for your great work

2. Will be SATA controller Marvell SE9172 supported? I'd like to avoid buying new MOBO :smile: :)

BIG THX MAN...YOU ROCKS...and Merry Christmas

Hardware: Dell OptiPlex 7010 SFF

Install Type: Baremetal

NIC Model: Broadcom, supported

Storage: SATA, 1x500GB HDD

Issue: Installation/Hard Drives

Loader Version: 2.2

I am eager to test this new loader but I keep running into an error on the initial setup screen (see photo below).

ixWQjGy

I only have one hard drive installed (HGST 500GB SATA) and the BIOS is configured for AHCI SATA operation mode and only the SATA-0 port is enabled in the BIOS. This is my XPE test box and has been fully compatible with ever other loader that's come across this website. I'm curious what the hangup is here.

I was able to SSH into the configuration tool and ran the quick setup and also set the number of drives to 1 and I still get the pre-installation failure reporting, "We've detected errors on the hard drives (2,3,4,5,6), and the SATA ports have also been disabled. This error only slightly changes in drive numbering if I enable all (and unused) SATA ports.

Not sure where to go from here but I wanted to post this issue in case anybody else doing a basic baremetal install is running into issues.

I got the same error.

Change AHCI mode to IDE mode, maybe you'll be surprised! :smile:

I am eager to test this new loader but I keep running into an error on the initial setup screen (see photo below).

ixWQjGy

I only have one hard drive installed (HGST 500GB SATA) and the BIOS is configured for AHCI SATA operation mode and only the SATA-0 port is enabled in the BIOS. This is my XPE test box and has been fully compatible with ever other loader that's come across this website. I'm curious what the hangup is here.

I was able to SSH into the configuration tool and ran the quick setup and also set the number of drives to 1 and I still get the pre-installation failure reporting, "We've detected errors on the hard drives (2,3,4,5,6), and the SATA ports have also been disabled. This error only slightly changes in drive numbering if I enable all (and unused) SATA ports.

Not sure where to go from here but I wanted to post this issue in case anybody else doing a basic baremetal install is running into issues.

I got the same error.

Leave in ACHI mode and use Synology Assistant. Then you'll be surprised.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Hi Quicknick...i dont want to be a pain in the a..i have a two questions:

1. How long should we wait for upgrade procedure?? Approximately....days, weeks, months?? Or we just have to use juns boot loader and do the upgrade. Not sure if i should wait or start screwing my own stuff :smile: :) btw...very very thx for your great work

2. Will be SATA controller Marvell SE9172 supported? I'd like to avoid buying new MOBO :smile: :)

BIG THX MAN...YOU ROCKS...and Merry Christmas

1. Days prob NLT wed. next week, worst case scenario, next weekend. Hold up is only cleaning up esxi issues and compiling drivers/kernels to test.

2. Marvell storage is built into OEM kernel.

Hi,quicknick, thanks for the great work!

PC model: Foxconn nT-i1500

Serial: none

It can boot from the usb drive (sandisk cz33, as well as other two drives), but grub directly enter the command-line mode without read the config file. Turns out the reason maybe that these usb drive are recognized as hd1, not hd0 in grub. So, is there a simple way for me to modify some files to get it to work ?

PS: sata operation mode has configured to AHCI.

ixWQjGy

I got the same error.

Leave in ACHI mode and use Synology Assistant. Then you'll be surprised.

We have several Custom Build configurations running on an Asus Mini-ITX, Z170N-WiFi (rev.01). (This board uses Intel GBE NICs)

One of them is currently designated as 'test' unit. The last few days we read several forumposts and started a migration, in which we (finally) succeeded doing to following:

Take-off configuration:

DSM 5.2-5644_update5 (boot device: XPENoboot USB)

Final successful method applied:

-manually applied DSM 6.0.2_8451 (primary pat file)

-booted on USB key using quicknick's 2.2 version

-started with option 5 --> quicknick's menu via SSH (yes, just read the f.a.q.'s like quicknick says and it will work)

-reviewed USB Vid and Pid, serial which were edited in the grub.cfg via Windows whilst creating the boot device. (not required, can be done via the quicknick menu also)

-upgraded the USB bootdevice files to version 2.3(betastate) (How? just used the options in the menu, that's what there for :mrgreen: )

+ REMARK: the Vid and Pid are changed once you upgrade the device version. You have to reboot and go into the menu again via SSH afterwards to correct the Vid and Pid

Now here is where we were required to leave the quicknick path for a bit:

- reinserted the 5.2 XPENoboot USB device and restarted the unit again, booting it normally

- start Syno Assistant and discover the unit (Windows requires a second discovery, it will not show up in the list the first scan)

- either right-click it and choose 'install' or just select Connect (which does about the same via a separate browser window/tab)

- It will be shown as migratable. (Using the 6.02 bootdevice will give you either error 13 or 46 after 56% (..installing DSM). whether you upload .pat manually or have it download during from Synology)

- migrated, whist having .pat downloaded from synology (shows that there is no adjusted .pat required)

- after required restart, left 5.2 XPENoboot as bootdevice. rediscovered the unit using Syno Ass.

- tried update DSM (either internet download or manually upload .pat (update 5) will not work. Also the device does not show the volume (discovered before migration, hence 'migratable unit')

- restarted using the quicknick 2.3(beta) bootdevice, option 1, boot normally

- logged in succesfully onto DSM 6.02

- volume is there, folder contents is there, packages were not (was only running 1 before the entire operation was started) *so this is still to be determined why and possibly requires some attention)

- updated to .pat update5 manually, restarted

- logged in successfully onto DSM 6.02-update5

- updated to .pat update6 via Synology download and update buttons, restarted

- system running smooth on 6.02-update6 (released 9 dec 2016)

@quicknick: any explanation on the fact that the Vid and Pid are reset when upgrading from 2.2 to 2.3 via the menu?

Edited by Guest

-reviewed USB Vid and Pid, serial which were edited in the grub.cfg via Windows whilst creating the boot device. (not required, can be done via the quicknic menu also)

-upgraded the USB bootdevice files to version 2.3 (How? just used the options in the menu, that's what there for :mrgreen: )

+ REMARK: the Vid and Pid are changed once you upgrade the device version. You have to reboot and go into the menu again via SSH afterwards to correct the Vid and Pid

@quicknic: any explanation on the fact that the Vid and Pid are reset when upgrading from 2.2 to 2.3 via the menu?

Not sure your vid/pid was reset. Did you try rebooting see if the vid/pid came back as before? I did experience something similar where the vid/pid where changed to vid=400 and pid=400 but after a reboot it came back to normal. Also please read below as I think this could be related.

As stated by quicknick:

However, I have noticed that this kernel included doesn't load everytime, but that is due to size of img. I increased size in next version. There was only 1.5mb free and updates cause corruption to accur due to lack of available space.

Anyways as far as I know this vid/pid issue has been fixed in 2.3 which will be available in the days to come.

Edited by Guest

-upgraded the USB bootdevice files to version 2.3 (How? just used the options in the menu, that's what there for :mrgreen: )

tried this too, but always get a checksum error, any way to solve it?

PID & VID are correct and system is installed, however brtfs volume (created under june's loader) is crashed (as expected, since brfs should run wir 2.3 first)

additionally i modified my bios, so that my console (COM1) is redirected to SoL (Serial over LAN), i can see in console then the boot up to the point where i choose the options, afterwards it's blank. any suggestions/tips?

System: SM X9SRL-F, Xeon E5, 32GB Ram

LSI 9300-16i HBA, QLE 10GB NIC, D-Link 10G NIC

tried this too, but always get a checksum error, any way to solve it?

System: SM X9SRL-F, Xeon E5, 32GB Ram

LSI 9300-16i HBA, QLE 10GB NIC, D-Link 10G NIC

I guess due your relatively new/non-widely used as standard NIC chipset. most checksum errors in this stage come from the ETH level..

Maybe quicknick has seen this behaviour before, but he is possibly working hard on the 2.4 now

Edited by Guest

Hi, I would like to setup xpenology 6.0.2 using VMware on my pc. My question is

1) In regards to VMware, can this only be done using VMware EXSI or can I use VMware workstation?

2) If I can't use VMware workstation, do I have to purchase vSphere in order for this to work?

I currently am running xpenology 5.2 on hyper-v. Never had any issues and am familiar with the install process on hyper-v. Thank for any help that can be provided in getting me running using VMware.

Got the new loader (many thanks!), only 1 problem. I have 6 drives of 3TB, 4 are seen in DSM, but the other 2 not. Sataportmap is 68, 6 from first controller, en 8 from controller 2 (IBM M1015) The drivers has to be working i thought the LSI chip was SAS2008? Any 1 got an idea?

Got the new loader (many thanks!), only 1 problem. I have 6 drives of 3TB, 4 are seen in DSM, but the other 2 not. Sataportmap is 68, 6 from first controller, en 8 from controller 2 (IBM M1015) The drivers has to be working i thought the LSI chip was SAS2008? Any 1 got an idea?

How did you attach your 6 drives?

How did you attach your 6 drives?

The first controller onboard, 4 drives. (sata to backplane) And the 2nd 2 on the M1015 SAS to backplane.

Hi, I would like to setup xpenology 6.0.2 using VMware on my pc. My question is

1) In regards to VMware, can this only be done using VMware EXSI or can I use VMware workstation?

2) If I can't use VMware workstation, do I have to purchase vSphere in order for this to work?

I currently am running xpenology 5.2 on hyper-v. Never had any issues and am familiar with the install process on hyper-v. Thank for any help that can be provided in getting me running using VMware.

1)I have run jun's loader in VMware workstation player for testing. You don't have the flexibility in attaching hardware that ESXi does. But you can attach disks to the virtual machine

2) You don't need vsphere with ESXi 5.5 as you can use the client from earlier releases. That does restrict what you can do. I did try ESXi6 and found a client, but I couldn't say whether I was running vsphere in a time limited evaluation mode or not.

So I fanally managed to access XPEnology tool, so I decided to enable SHR and to update it. I did these steps in this order:

1) 12. Enable/Disable Synology Hybrid Raid (SHR) enabled by default

2) 18. Update XPEnology Ramdisk/Drivers/Kernel

3) 19. Update XPEnology Configuration Tool

Then any volume I tried to create was crashing. I tried with 3 different drives.

So I decided to reformat the USB stick, recreate the boot drive with the same image I used before then reinstall XPEnology. Then I enabled only SHR without updating the tool (I read somewhere that an update will crash the volumes), but it still crashes!!!!!

Any solution or advice?

So I fanally managed to access XPEnology tool, so I decided to enable SHR and to update it. I did these steps in this order:

Then any volume I tried to create was crashing. I tried with 3 different drives.

So I decided to reformat the USB stick, recreate the boot drive with the same image I used before then reinstall XPEnology. Then I enabled only SHR without updating the tool (I read somewhere that an update will crash the volumes), but it still crashes!!!!!

Any solution or advice?

Please everyone with 2.2 don't update. The intial size was not big enough to handle updates. 2.3 addresses this by providing a new boot loader with ample space for updates.

Also issues that were in 2.2 are resolved and it will be fully operational.

Any solution or advice?

Please everyone with 2.2 don't update. The intial size was not big enough to handle updates. 2.3 addresses this by providing a new boot loader with ample space for updates.

Also issues that were in 2.2 are resolved and it will be fully operational.

Is there a PayPal link somewhere for donations? :smile:

Hi,quicknick, thanks for the great work!

PC model: Foxconn nT-i1500

Serial: none

It can boot from the usb drive (sandisk cz33, as well as other two drives), but grub directly enter the command-line mode without read the config file. Turns out the reason maybe that these usb drive are recognized as hd1, not hd0 in grub. So, is there a simple way for me to modify some files to get it to work ?

PS: sata operation mode has configured to AHCI.

I specifically look for hd0, so if you have two usb's attached there is a possibility your boot usb ends up as hd1. I don't see why multiple USB media's are installed, but may need to change this if more people run into this. I may also do some logic to search and select which one is the real boot media.