XPEnology Community

XPEnology Configuration Tool & Bootloader DSM 6.0.2-8451

quicknick

Ok I installed DSM 6.0.2 in a baremetal test pc, You need to use the configuration tool to set the vid & pid.

my question is: Can I update to 6.0.2 Update 6? :shock:

A number of people have reported updating to ud6 without issue.

@CtrlAltDel Updated without issues! update 6 working on my test Nas.

Here is what I used on esxi 6.5, on a hp gen8 microserver :

https://mega.nz/#!Vk40FCDT!r2ertz7Eyoeh ... W2p1GLgzfs

It's jun's loader 1.01. Add drive and install.

If you want to modify the grub cfg you need to set the boot drive as dependent or persistent before edit. But I see no need for abusing synology services, .....

You sir have won The Internet

pics_Internet_Ticket.jpg

Thank you, all done an upgraded to Update 6 as well.

Cheers

Here is what I used on esxi 6.5, on a hp gen8 microserver :

https://mega.nz/#!Vk40FCDT!r2ertz7Eyoeh ... W2p1GLgzfs

It's jun's loader 1.01. Add drive and install.

If you want to modify the grub cfg you need to set the boot drive as dependent or persistent before edit. But I see no need for abusing synology services, .....

You sir have won The Internet

pics_Internet_Ticket.jpg

Thank you, all done an upgraded to Update 6 as well.

Cheers

Thank you very much for the infos!

Do you have problems with slow data transfers to the hard disks connected to the internal sata ports with esxi 6.5 on a hp microserver gen8? I know that with esxi 6.0 there is a workaround by using the older sata-driver from hp for esxi 5.5 but I don't know if this currently needed at esxi 6.5

Btw:

Thanks to all devs and all members who brings life into upgrading xpenology to a newer version! It begins to get better and better. :smile:

My favorite solution is to stay at my current bare metal install at my gen 8 with VirtualBox on top but this is only possible with the sources. So I must look around for other solutions. :grin:

I only used esxi 6.5 (custom iso made by HP) for about a week, didn't noticed any issues in this time. However, on esxi 6 the problems with the slow transfer appeared mostly when I run 2 or more vm's on the same datastore. While on esxi 6.5 I only had one xpeno vm running full time with a few other (also xpeno) for testing, a lot of reboots... so I can't be sure if the problem is there or not

My advice is to use esxi 6.5 as it is for some time, and only if you have problems to downgrade the hpvsa driver to scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88OEM.550.0.0.1331820.x86_64.vib witch was the latest good one for esxi 6. A lot of good info on hp gen8 and esxi you can find here :

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index. ... /88-gen-8/

Hardware: GA-Z68X-UD4-B3

Install Type: Baremetal

NIC Model: Intel PRO/1000 Pt Dual Port Server Adapter

Storage: Intel 6 Series (Z68)

Issue: Bootloader

5.2-5644 Update 5 is working perfectly. Trying to update to 6.0.2-8451.5.

I used Win32DiskImage to copy XPEnology-DSM-6.0.2-8451.5-quicknick-boot-v2.2.img to my USB drive. When booting I get the following error:

error: file '/boot/' not found.

error: no such device: /.disk/info

Then it dumps me to the grub prompt.

Any ideas?

Edited by Guest

Did you change your VID/PID

I used Win32DiskImage to copy XPEnology-DSM-6.0.2-8451.5-quicknick-boot-v2.2.img to my USB drive. When booting I get the following error:

Any ideas?

Did you change your VID/PID

Any ideas?

Did you change sataPortMap to get this working with your 8-bay UNAS?

I tried both the default image and also tried editing grub.cfg by hand. When editing grub.cfg by hand I used sataPortMap=242. From what I can tell from the manual of my motherboard the first two ports are on the sata6 intel controller, the next 4 ports are on the sata3 intel controller, and the next 2 are on the Marvell controller. Here is the link to the manual for my motherboard. http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Ma ... 4-b3_e.pdf

I also changed the VID, PID, Serial, and MAC.

Hi @quicknick, sorry fo my English

I want to offer you, to add into your Config Tool, very userful function. This is a showing default password for synology root logine, you can see code here:

http://codepad.org/naljB5Ze

#include 
#include 
#include 

void main()
{
	struct timeval tvTime;
	struct tm tmOutput;

gettimeofday(&tvTime, 0);
	localtime_r(&(tvTime.tv_sec), &tmOutput);
	tmOutput.tm_mon += 1;

printf("password for today is: %x%02d-%02x%02d\n\n",
		tmOutput.tm_mon, tmOutput.tm_mon, tmOutput.tm_mday,
		gcd(tmOutput.tm_mon, tmOutput.tm_mday));
}

int gcd(int a, int b)
{
	return (b?gcd(b,a%b):a);
}

the principle is simple, 8 symbols:

1. month in hex

2,3. month in regular

4. dash

5,6. calendar day in regular

7,8. greatest common divisor between day and month

password for today is: c12-1212

p.s. this point maybe actual if DSM isn't installed or impossible boot DSM system

Edited by Guest

Do you have problems with slow data transfers to the hard disks connected to the internal sata ports with esxi 6.5 on a hp microserver gen8? I know that with esxi 6.0 there is a workaround by using the older sata-driver from hp for esxi 5.5 but I don't know if this currently needed at esxi 6.5

Btw:

Thanks to all devs and all members who brings life into upgrading xpenology to a newer version! It begins to get better and better. :smile:

My favorite solution is to stay at my current bare metal install at my gen 8 with VirtualBox on top but this is only possible with the sources. So I must look around for other solutions. :grin:

I only used esxi 6.5 (custom iso made by HP) for about a week, didn't noticed any issues in this time. However, on esxi 6 the problems with the slow transfer appeared mostly when I run 2 or more vm's on the same datastore. While on esxi 6.5 I only had one xpeno vm running full time with a few other (also xpeno) for testing, a lot of reboots... so I can't be sure if the problem is there or not

My advice is to use esxi 6.5 as it is for some time, and only if you have problems to downgrade the hpvsa driver to scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88OEM.550.0.0.1331820.x86_64.vib witch was the latest good one for esxi 6. A lot of good info on hp gen8 and esxi you can find here :

Thank you for the answer! So I will do some tests at my spare Gen 8 and decide afterwards if I go from bare metal to esxi. :smile:

Btw:

Thank you for the answer! So I will do some tests on my spare machine and decide afterwards if I go from bare metal to esxi. :smile:

Sorry everyone was not able to do much today, but will be on a 3.5 hr flight on Tuesday, so I will be working on this then.

The baremetal is good to go, a little more testing and I can release 2.3. I am still trying to clean some things up for ESXi build and do some thorough checks and balances. I want to make sure the second release goes well.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Sorry everyone was not able to do much today, but will be on a 3.5 hr flight on Tuesday, so I will be working on this then.

The baremetal is good to go, a little more testing and I can release 2.3. I am still trying to clean some things up for ESXi build and do some thorough checks and balances. I want to make sure the second release goes well.

If it helps, I have a bare bones Skylake i3 system I'm not actively using. I could do some testing for you if you list what needs testing on the new build :smile:

Thanks for the hard work quicknick

looks very good so far.

I had 2-3 problems with the "old" bootloader from Jun.

1. power-button did not work (i read some fixes, never tried).

2. CPU seems not to throttle down (Arock E350M1/USB3, i think i read something about a fix).

3. worst off all for me, allthough disk hilbernation works and autoshutdown of NAS after XX min works too, the box shuts down in S5 mode (completely off). I would really prefer STR, Supend-to-RAM power state S3.

Any of it fixed in this bootloader?

Or have these things nothing to do with the bootloader?

I read fixes for 1 an 2. Never read anything about S3 power state.

Has anyone a idea how to get the machine to shutdown to suspend to RAM mode?

Hardware: Dell T20 (Xeon e3-1245 v3, 32GB DDR3 EEC RAM)

Install Type: VM PROXMOX (KVM)

NIC Model: Intel E1000

Storage: Sata

Issue: Xpenology boots (mounted vmdk file) but i cant find it in my network. My dhcp server dont even see it, neither syno assist and find.synology.com.

Settings:

zdXoVUu.png

Conf file:

balloon: 0

bootdisk: sata0

cores: 2

cpu: host

ide2: none,media=cdrom

memory: 4096

name: HSNASTEST

net0: e1000=3A:2A:42:83:0C:0A,bridge=vmbr0

numa: 0

ostype: other

sata0: local:103/vm-103-disk-1.vmdk,size=69M

sata1: local:103/vm-103-disk-2.qcow2,size=32G

scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci

smbios1: uuid=cab4119c-425e-4f41-bbf2-55d5c095079c

sockets: 1

vga: vmware

Tried Intel E1000 card, VirtIO, Realtek RTL8139, VMware vmxnet3 with mac address from ovf file, nothing helps.

102Sn5Z.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solution: For some reason CPU type HAS TO BE kvm64. If you got any other type i guess kernel wont boot fully and you wont find your server in your lan network.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Guest

looks very good so far.

I had 2-3 problems with the "old" bootloader from Jun.

1. power-button did not work (i read some fixes, never tried).

2. CPU seems not to throttle down (Arock E350M1/USB3, i think i read something about a fix).

3. worst off all for me, allthough disk hilbernation works and autoshutdown of NAS after XX min works too, the box shuts down in S5 mode (completely off). I would really prefer STR, Supend-to-RAM power state S3.

Any of it fixed in this bootloader?

Or have these things nothing to do with the bootloader?

I read fixes for 1 an 2. Never read anything about S3 power state.

Has anyone a idea how to get the machine to shutdown to suspend to RAM mode?

1 and 2 are included. Uncertain of 3.