XPEnology Community

XPEnology Configuration Tool & Bootloader DSM 6.0.2-8451

quicknick

This is a re-post from the DSM loader thread, thought I'd put it here too.

Hi All,

Thank you to all the contributors for the new boot loader. I've just tried the vmware edition and so far so good.

The only issue I have thus far in my testing is the ability to detect my HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL controller which has all my disks attached.

@Trantor was kind enought to build the driver for me for the XPEnology 5.5 bootloader. The link to the post for this one is here. I tried to manually load that module in this version, but it complains of an invalid file format, so I'm guessing it will need to be recompiled for this newer version of DSM.

Would it be possible for someone to compile the RocketRAID 2720SGL driver for this version please. The direct link for the source code of the driver can be located here, if you would like to view the download page for different linux versions, then see here.

I'd appreciate the any assistance.

Thanks

@Quicknick - Is the configuration menu supposed to be accessible on ESXi? Everytime I select it, it just goes to the kernel boot and then indicates that I should use find.synologycom to search for it. Is this because my VM doesn't have a serial connection to it and that setting one up would allow me to see it? For reference, I'm using ESXi 6.5,

[spoiler=Accessing XPEnology via ssh]To access XPEnology using ssh, You must copy the text below into ~/.ssh/id_rsa in order to connect via ssh.

Make sure you chmod 600 ~/.ssh/id_rsa

-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----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-----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----

copy the text below into ~/.ssh/id_rsa in order

more about the path to ~/.ssh/id_rsa ?

[spoiler=Accessing XPEnology via ssh]To access XPEnology using ssh, You must copy the text below into ~/.ssh/id_rsa in order to connect via ssh.

Make sure you chmod 600 ~/.ssh/id_rsa

-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
MIIEogIBAAKCAQEAvsK6v+E3ESClz6sDCU9SmRcK1AEF+o/PWWVMEGzNEHPAe1TE
aqbm0n0Afk0wAsgio7KSBZ3CnxI6aEREZwjDIhuzsh2Ez40WO8lfZ8URnI1yi9Z7
tWgr+yHecTDT4hBVYsDxUonpQPJOeum2MiVZ1Rb/tgZj4EeROtmPbgsMhksevy51
oz4dQXL2nVJqhv0Q6b4FPZHA0TaL4AU2mldgq+AKHvqiItT/FaQSriDRBdJOGgvY
EKob2OCW0sySwE6SiaYSe0f+Yjnx9gaNS3XqEhQotl/ee5tO7qTKvmSQVQetv0Hk
vbug6RKIO+T8Wig6cet1PtdhXqz4ijWQbREG6QIDAQABAoIBAFi4GELFa+b7WCKN
Vowt6CxrGw4eq7ksyTK6efXppDXSn+K8Od2gYhnjKSeUno+spO+dTWxvQuTYhXGY
znddC+QBHkHomKwu4fhMX6LTdK1q26tNxZtJJ6tUxS+/lcu97PhQ4+uPWHxsNTPV
HneUB4OjfqoZrrnQjyrfpGV5ngmWd85M0M6elesHkoACdHuVdgv7o+zad/nZZYU/
Aern8z/TlTXTrFc5kmUgu7NtuD1Z8LnaB3g7oTad36uv1e5ZOyNryx+Q18MLuvvx
KOqxIOBOomgdLLF/VKvhESl5W1hvjJHg5MrWUGz1MORTn2U2OA4XgAxy+/L4TeoV
vMppoUECgYEA9FcWX3l/nqNsXBi5sotrIMmQch5/u4H6MaJmhJnUPyN4ZObiOqNR
sGACEDHnppM5jJUGA7bbJtdeWGZcFrWBrI2SJnGh96n9hX0zieuei5VK2fUgvgCs
spV0s1mTxySK0euZJZ5s3XLDoXo/eVgIw8uJPSlVUGBlYcrqDl130o8CgYEAx90a
YOsga/3csl/eSpx6Rdmc2EHjnjOKkZ40Ebvk19NVU7Qw2AUKSCK5yd/9q6Gczbd1
5NxnIkYvrgQHHVE5ZnuvAzDJtew2hwPxejQ3fYSVroNvD7GGaXUXY8TyEowuEW8H
Bw2cNUHaAY2aMTqmrQn3IZvdpSr+V7OSrGPv6wcCgYBSx2paADSfTyh37xyCg79Q
hVk9gF2v7fIQfL+UrvT8Sw0PyjTcvtX/Fhe82ttrULePjDFUcs++UfqxokQSoX2E
MxZPlfHUkS/F2MvsLvowuex4+RYVqO7ZNc8qr+9j6VpqkhH5b7ncMHRcsajteEjH
5J3jLayspWvTfMZdBYeBuwKBgCmAn16q1LO4JqEfyUBDGBzzIF/D5ulOGKM+b9+S
3eV3bAuSqmXhPg5Wr6/dBIckazRIuYGJxxzV6EbBbVzIJhxC6MfH1MsjPvtwdS+E
MlWtN4vinShsG9ZAS1gbaI0zcMmL/bCYQezJPOT/q5o3bK8YF6px/Ge08tXxYy7L
HeH3AoGAG9s9BSx9w63s+CQ1QUujdTz+scr5Np3iFRlYPfh3Pq6CCUKFWb+hPsIN
7tFIXFQpmaZaVsR8bfUtX+aDA8f1HXWTd7QulG1TPrdP6GPZdKApcJnXEUt1wI7L
EuTb0wL09yfKYGMhGuqht70qZA3NMcDjHau1VYSBr0TmboNMNBM=
-----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----

copy the text below into ~/.ssh/id_rsa in order

more about the path to ~/.ssh/id_rsa ?

I will update FAQs with pics. I will also be adding Windows info. Still a lot to add to the posts still.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

@Quicknick - Is the configuration menu supposed to be accessible on ESXi? Everytime I select it, it just goes to the kernel boot and then indicates that I should use find.synologycom to search for it. Is this because my VM doesn't have a serial connection to it and that setting one up would allow me to see it? For reference, I'm using ESXi 6.5,

Yes. If you have a dhcp server, find the lease then use ssh to connect to its IP. Follow the FAQs for ssh.

You can also create another VM and create a named pipe and use putty or equivalent to connect via serial.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

wow nice job ,

i have 2 Xpenology Working but trying to build another one i have done with version 5.2 it working fine but cannot upgrade or fresh install version 6.0

the mother board is

MSI H110l PRo

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/H110I-PRO.html#hero-specification

Anyone has any ideal .

It crach at 56% telling me that the file is corrupt but it is not i have installed it on others.

and yes i have re-download the .pat file a couple of times

thank you for your great job will wait for a new release for this board

wow nice job ,

i have 2 Xpenology Working but trying to build another one i have done with version 5.2 it working fine but cannot upgrade or fresh install version 6.0

the mother board is

MSI H110l PRo

Anyone has any ideal .

It crach at 56% telling me that the file is corrupt but it is not i have installed it on others.

You need to set vid/pid of your USB. This is very important. You can use the XPEnology Configuration Tool to do this or follow the FAQs section by either using telnet or ssh. If you have to edit grub manually, there will be a section explaining that soon.

Just tested with an I354 board (Supermicro A1SAi-2750F) but no luck. Looks like I354 isn't supported. I thought it would have been covered by the I350 drivers. Is it possible I'm doing something wrong? I got number of network interfaces by running: ls -A /sys/class/net | wc -l

Also, when I select the config tool option, it only brings me to the "booting the kernel" screen instead of launching the config tool. Any thoughts?

Edited by Guest

wow nice job ,

the mother board is

MSI H110l PRo

Anyone has any ideal .

You need to set vid/pid of your USB. This is very important. You can use the XPEnology Configuration Tool to do this or follow the FAQs section by either using telnet or ssh. If you have to edit grub manually, there will be a section explaining that soon.

ok found my problem it was the mark of the usb key not good il une other mark lexar and now working find

ok found my problem it was the mark of the usb key not good il une other mark lexar and now working find

It gets freakier than that, I had a Sandisk 8gb that was working fine with the original loader of Jun's. I updated it with the new v1.01 image with all the details remaining the same but the machine wouldn't see it as a boot device? :sad: I dug out a tatty old 2gb unbranded stick applied the same image with new vid/pid and the same ser/mac's and it booted without issues? :smile:

I don't get why it worked with one version and not with another? :???:

I have updated FAQs for ssh access. This should help everyone connect as long as you know your Diskstation IP

Also you don't have to select XPEnology Configuration Tool if this is a vanilla (DSMo not installed) XPEnology system as it exists in the regular selection prior to install. This selection is only there if you've already installed DSM and want to use it. Note: It's not a problem to install DSM from XPEnology Configuration Tool.

I have updated FAQs for ssh access. This should help everyone connect as long as you know your Diskstation IP

Also you don't have to select XPEnology Configuration Tool if this is a vanilla (DSMo not installed) XPEnology system as it exists in the regular selection prior to install. This selection is only there if you've already installed DSM and want to use it. Note: It's not a problem to install DSM from XPEnology Configuration Tool.

Hey quicknick,

I am still getting error: terminal "serial" isn't found using the baremetal install. The NIC for motherboard Asus P6T SE which is Realtek® 8111C PCIe Gigabit LAN is not working. I checked the DHCP lease and don't see it there.

Are the drivers missing for the NIC?

Hey quicknick,

I am still getting error: terminal "serial" isn't found using the baremetal install. The NIC for motherboard Asus P6T SE which is Realtek® 8111C PCIe Gigabit LAN is not working. I checked the DHCP lease and don't see it there.

Please re-download again. Just updated it should be working now. You can ignore terminal "serial" isn't found.

Hey quicknick,

Please re-download again. Just updated it should be working now. You can ignore terminal "serial" isn't found.

Hey Quicknick, is I354 supported? I can't find mobo NICs either. I also can't launch the config tool. Any ideas?

I'm also not able to start the new config tool.

Acer H340

Sadly it is hard to help if you don't provide ample information or pictures. Is this a VM or Baremetal and is HW NIC and / or Storage supported?

Try to find your IP in dhcp leases. If you cannot find, then you won't be able to connect via ssh or telnet, nor install

I'm confused, how am I supposed to get a SSH password if I do not have a serial port on my bare metal machine?

password is only for Telnet. Read the FAQs on how to connect via SSH. It is pretty clear.

Nevermind, I found it when digging through your instructions! :smile:

Tldr for others; download private SSH key and use that for authentication in Putty or whatever SSH client you have. Login as root with no password.

I'm confused, how am I supposed to get a SSH password if I do not have a serial port on my bare metal machine?

password is only for Telnet. Read the FAQs on how to connect via SSH. It is pretty clear.

Nevermind, I found it when digging through your instructions! :smile:

Tldr for others; download private SSH key and use that for authentication in Putty or whatever SSH client you have. Login as root with no password.

GREAT!!!

Acer H340

Sadly it is hard to help if you don't provide ample information or pictures. Is this a VM or Baremetal and is HW NIC and / or Storage supported?

Try to find your IP in dhcp leases. If you cannot find, then you won't be able to connect via ssh or telnet, nor install

Sorry quicknick.

I'm running DSM in a VM Envirnment and booting the system via USB.

The "normal" boot via the first entry runs without problems. (I've edit the grub.cfg)

But when I want to have a look into your configuration menu I only see "Booting the kernel" like any other entry.

Acer H340

Sorry quicknick.

I'm running DSM in a VM Envirnment and booting the system via USB.

The "normal" boot via the first entry runs without problems. (I've edit the grub.cfg)

But when I want to have a look into your configuration menu I only see "Booting the kernel" like any other entry.

There is no console access directly. You have to use serial, ssh, or telnet. Read the FAQs please. It is very, very clear.