XPEnology Community

New Computer turned into a Nas

Onknight

I haven't been here in a while

But my xpenology Gave up the ghost  and Brought a Dell PowerEdge T110 Server Tower

I ended up removing the SAS card  and just using SATA

Following the instructions from this youtube Vid 

Was able to Get the Dell Running fine on 7.1   Thank to everyone who help with this hobbie 

Pegasus2.png

Edited by Onknight
spelling
  • Like 3

@Onknight I have to say, there is something to be said about keeping thing simple and removing anything you may not need. 

I have a Dell R620 with a H310 flashed to IT mode still using SAS drives using TRCP with Peter Suh's Mshell I built a RS4021xs+

A custom built PC with a Gigabyte motherboard with a 9th gen CPU and 4 x 4tb Seagate NAS drives with just and added NIC, DS918+ used TCRP

I do feel that ARPL works very well.. especially for device-tree-based models like the DS920+ and DS1621+.

Will that's nice about this one. it  was not cobbled together out of Scraps 

it made it simple  The last Computer was  Core 2 Duo with 4 gigs of ram and bunch hard drives 

after a while I lost use to onboard SATA and hard use a SATA Card and NIC Card

it was just time to start over

Edited by Onknight

18 hours ago, Onknight said:

My only concern now is 7.2 is on the way

And I'm wondering it will be ready so our systems can keep going

This particular version of software is just so user-friendly

I tried truenas and I hated it it's not user-friendly at all

And I don't like openmediavault either

I think you will be fine for years to come, especially with the  hardware frendly DS3622xs+.

Don't be too concerned keeping up with the latest DSM updates, I still have a box that I run DSM 6.2.3-25423 on. 

The others I have updated to 7.1.1, but one of them is just for testing.

Don't update until its okay to do so from the developers.. especially since this is your production box.

See here:

As far as 10 gig NIC cards go, I don't use any because as of right now, I don't have a need to..

But @painkiller895 noted that they tried an Intel X520-SR2 that works out of the box:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rojoone2 said:

I think you will be fine for years to come, especially with the  hardware frendly DS3622xs+.

Don't be too concerned keeping up with the latest DSM updates, I still have a box that I run DSM 6.2.3-25423 on. 

The others I have updated to 7.1.1, but one of them is just for testing.

Don't update until its okay to do so from the developers.. especially since this is your production box.

See here:

As far as 10 gig NIC cards go, I don't use any because as of right now, I don't have a need to..

But @painkiller895 noted that they tried an Intel X520-SR2 that works out of the box:

Thanks I thinking of X520-SR1 or Nvidia Mellanox MCX312B-XCCT but for Mellanox I need adapters for them

Okay so I'm already thinking ahead

My old case server case Antec P183 had tons of room but it's falling apart

The Del case is fine for now but I want to eventually get a case that can contain 12 swappable Bays

Doing a search on line has left little to be excited at so far a Antec P101 Silent Performance  has 11 bays 

is the best I can . 9 Front bays and 2 SSD in the rear.

I'm using all five SATA ports on the original board

I have SATA where are four ports work that gets me up to 9

And I'll have to find a second card to add the other three ports to get me up to 12

3 hours ago, rojoone2 said:

What card did you remove from the DellT110? Are you able to flash that to IT mode?

This is what I took out I don't know anything about flashing and it mode

I have standard 5 IDE ports and I'm using all five right now I have an IDE card I'm going to install

I actually have this card up for sale because I have no use for it

PXL_20221116_175627853.jpg

Edited by Onknight