XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill - Replace/reset USB

Hello here !

First, thank you all for your amazing work on this community

Amazing to be able to install very last synology version with your work !

I'm sorry if the question is already answered, but I didn't find it : I would like to change/reset my usb key where I installed TinyCore RedPill loader.

I installed a DSM 7.1.1u2 with TCRP v0.9 but I need to change the usb key with a new one, with a fresh install (can't duplicate the old one)

I burn tcrp img to new usb key, boot it, ran all commands (update, identifyusb, serial, statmap), then build the current version of the DSM (7.1.1)

After the reboot, I fall into a recovery loop.

I tried to change the SN in the user_config file with the original SN used in my first installation, nothing better

Where am I wrong ? 

Thank you for your help !

Edited by J01am

• 2 weeks later...

There is no initial TC loader for minor updates. Using TC you reinstalled 7.1.1 loader and your drives have 7.1.1U2 already, so when you try to load 7.1.1 with 7.1.1U2 HDDS you get a loop.

To solve the problem you can:

1. Make a loader for some other temporary model for instance 918->3622.

2. Migrate to that model. Your hdds will be reset to 7.1.1.

3. Make a loader of your ininitial model

4. Migrate back. For instance 3622->918

5. Boot your system and update it from inside syno to U2 and reboot like you once have already done

6. Apply postupdate in TC 

• Thanks 1

Hello Al lex, 

Thank you a lot for that!

I didn't think about that! 

I didn't really understand what the 'postupdate' does in TC loader.. 

Does these steps could work from your point of view? 

1 - make TC loader 7.1.1

2 - reboot and apply a postupdate 

3 - then reboot to dsm

Thank you again

Jonas

29 minutes ago, J01am said:

Hello Al lex, 

Thank you a lot for that!

I didn't think about that! 

I didn't really understand what the 'postupdate' does in TC loader.. 

Does these steps could work from your point of view? 

1 - make TC loader 7.1.1

2 - reboot and apply a postupdate 

3 - then reboot to dsm

Thank you again

Jonas

Nope, it Will not work. Postupdate Will inform you that your current version is 7.1.1 with no updates. I tried that. You can upgrade loader to 7.1.1u2 on some spare drive to avoid action with your current drives and then put them back. The main idea is you can upgrade your loader to minor updates only from inside working dsm and apply Postupdate later. No reversal and no update from inside tc. At least I don't know about such improvements

• Like 1

1130523847_2022-11-285_21_53.thumb.png.cc5bb49e3481178d2b26852c81e007b1.png

Including automatic postupdate processing of DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 2
Try switching to TCRP FREIND.

In the existing TCRP, there is no problem until DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 1,
Update 2, whose structure has been changed, has no choice but to fall into a recovery mode loop.

Try building the loader again by downloading the loader below, which is composed of a more comfortable ARPL-style menu along with TCRP FRIEND.
Since your DSM is already in update 2 state, the loader below asks for recovery first. Please reply to recovery at this time.
One-time recovery is followed by automatic patching to Update 2.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/releases/tag/v0.9.3.0-1

How to use.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/blob/main/README.md

The VID/PID of the USB stick is automatically processed during the loader building process.

P.S: Please use the 3.0 version as much as possible for the USB stick, and use the USB port of the PC with 3.0 or higher.
USB, which is relatively slow compared to VM, misses the chance to recognize the synoboot partition,

so there is a high probability of encountering a file corruption message when installing DSM at 55%.
Fast USB processing prevents this from happening.

Edited by Peter Suh

• 9 months later...
On 11/28/2022 at 3:05 AM, Peter Suh said:

1130523847_2022-11-285_21_53.thumb.png.cc5bb49e3481178d2b26852c81e007b1.png

Including automatic postupdate processing of DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 2
Try switching to TCRP FREIND.

In the existing TCRP, there is no problem until DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 1,
Update 2, whose structure has been changed, has no choice but to fall into a recovery mode loop.

Try building the loader again by downloading the loader below, which is composed of a more comfortable ARPL-style menu along with TCRP FRIEND.
Since your DSM is already in update 2 state, the loader below asks for recovery first. Please reply to recovery at this time.
One-time recovery is followed by automatic patching to Update 2.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/releases/tag/v0.9.3.0-1

How to use.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/blob/main/README.md

The VID/PID of the USB stick is automatically processed during the loader building process.

P.S: Please use the 3.0 version as much as possible for the USB stick, and use the USB port of the PC with 3.0 or higher.
USB, which is relatively slow compared to VM, misses the chance to recognize the synoboot partition,

so there is a high probability of encountering a file corruption message when installing DSM at 55%.
Fast USB processing prevents this from happening.

Hey Peter! Sorry to bug on an old thread, but i just built the most perfect installer and everything worked perfect, thanks to you! 

My problem is this: I accidentially installed the boot drive to the slowest USB flash drive, instead of my fastest. 

Can i simply Clone the slow usb to the fast usb and still be able to go on like nothing has changed?

21 minutes ago, Captainfingerbang said:

Hey Peter! Sorry to bug on an old thread, but i just built the most perfect installer and everything worked perfect, thanks to you! 

My problem is this: I accidentially installed the boot drive to the slowest USB flash drive, instead of my fastest. 

Can i simply Clone the slow usb to the fast usb and still be able to go on like nothing has changed?

I think it would be better to use the img downloaded from the latest link on a fast USB.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/releases/tag/v0.9.5.0

Cloning from an existing USB to a new USB will require rework anyway because the VID/PID of the USB are different.